Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Factories'
- Factory \Fac"to*ry\, n.; pl. Factories (-r?z). [Cf. F.
- A house or place where factors, or commercial agents, reside, to transact business for their employers. ``The Company's factory at Madras.'' --Burke.
- The body of factors in any place; as, a chaplain to a British factory. --W. Guthrie.
- A building, or collection of buildings, appropriated to the manufacture of goods; the place where workmen are employed in fabricating goods, wares, or utensils; a manufactory; as, a cotton factory. Factory leg (Med.), a variety of bandy leg, associated with partial dislocation of the tibia, produced in young children by working in factories.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Factories'
A factory (previously manufactory) or manufacturing plant is an industrial building where laborers manufacture goods or supervise machines processing one product into another. Most modern factories have large warehouses or warehouse-like facilities that contain heavy equipment used for assembly line production. Typically, factories gather and concentrate resources: laborers, capital and plant.
Although large mills and workshops were established in ancient China, Rome and the Middle East, the Venice Arsenal provides one of the first examples of a factory in the modern sense of the word. Founded in 1104 in Venice, Republic of Venice, several hundred years before the Industrial Revolution, it mass-produced ships on assembly lines using manufactured parts. The Venice Arsenal apparently produced nearly one ship every day and, at its height, employed 16,000 people.[See more about Factories at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Factories'
Factories Sample Sentences in News
- Garment broker is seeing rebirth of local apparel factories
Mike Angel Reynoso grew up with the sound of sewing machines. Read more on this news related to 'Factories'
- German manufacturing grows at slowest rate in 11 months
Factories shed staff for the third consecutive month as new orders flowed in slower Read more on this news related to 'Factories'
- Coveney ‘must assert his authority with meat factories over price cuts’
As the crisis in the beef sector continues, the Irish Farmers’ Association (IFA) has increased pressure on Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney ahead of his meeting today with meat-processing factories. Read more on this news related to 'Factories'