Eye Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a small hole or loop (as in a needle); "the thread wouldn''t go through the eye"
- the organ of sight
- good discernment (either with the eyes or as if with the eyes); "she has an eye for fresh talent"; "he has an artist''s eye"
- attention to what is seen; "he tried to catch her eye"
- an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
- look at
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the organ of sight ,
- good discernment (either visually or as if visually); "she has an eye for fresh talent"; "he has an artist's eye" ,
- attention to what is seen; "he tried to catch her eye" ,
- an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm" ,
- a small hole or loop (as in a needle); "the thread wouldn't go through the eye"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Eye'?
Eye Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The eye is a round organ for sensing light so animals can see. About 97 percent of animals have eyes.
In mammals, two kinds of cells, rods and cones, allow sight by sending signals through the optic nerve to the brain.
Some animals can see light that humans can not see. They can see ultraviolet or infrared light.
The lens on the front part of the eye acts like a camera lens. It can be pulled flatter by muscles inside the eye, or allowed to become rounder. As some people get older, they may not be as able to do this perfectly. Many people are born with other small problems or get them later in life, and they may need eyeglasses (or contact lenses) to fix the problem.
Words and phrases related to 'Eye'
'Eye' example sentence in quotations
* When the waves are round me breaking,As I pace the deck alone,And my eye in vain is seekingSome green leaf to rest uponWhat would not I give to wanderWhere my old companions dwellAbsence makes the heart grow fonder,Isle of Beauty, fare thee well - John Milton
* The eye of a human being is a microscope, which makes the world seem bigger than it really is. - Kahlil Gibran
Click here for more related quotations on 'Eye'
Eye Sample Sentences in News
- Eye nerve graft restores sensation
Loss of sensation in the eye that gradually leads to blindness has been prevented with an innovative technique, Canadian surgeons say. Abby Messner, 18, of Stouffville, Ont., lost feeling in her left eye after a brain tumour was removed, along with a nerve wrapped around it, when she was 11. Read more on this news related to 'Eye'
- Bionic Eye Lets Blind Man See Again
A bionic eye implant is now allowing a blind man to see the outlines of his wife after 10 years in darkness. The implant, called a retinal prosthesis, consists of a small electronic chip that is placed at the back of the eye to send visual signals directly into the optic nerve. The bionic eye doesn't have enough electrodes to recreate the details of human face Read more on this news related to 'Eye'
- MWC15: The Eye Tribe is Making Smartphones Even Smarter
The Eye Tribe, the global leader in mobile eye tracking, today announced it will be exhibiting at Mobile World Congress March 2-5 in Barcelona to showcase its new eye tracking software solution that makes Smartphones even smarter. Read more on this news related to 'Eye'