Eye Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a small hole or loop (as in a needle); "the thread wouldn''t go through the eye"
- the organ of sight
- good discernment (either with the eyes or as if with the eyes); "she has an eye for fresh talent"; "he has an artist''s eye"
- attention to what is seen; "he tried to catch her eye"
- an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
- look at
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the organ of sight ,
- good discernment (either visually or as if visually); "she has an eye for fresh talent"; "he has an artist's eye" ,
- attention to what is seen; "he tried to catch her eye" ,
- an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm" ,
- a small hole or loop (as in a needle); "the thread wouldn't go through the eye"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Eye'?
Eye Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The eye is an organ for sensing light so animals may see. About 97 percent of animals have eyes.
In mammals, two kinds of cells, rods and cones, allow sight by sending signals through the optic nerve to the brain.
Some animals can see light that humans can not see. They can see ultraviolet or infrared light.
The lens on the front part of the eye acts like a camera lens. It can be pulled flatter by muscles inside the eye, or allowed to become rounder. As some people get older, they may not be as able to do this perfectly. Many people are born with other small problems or get them later in life, and they may need eyeglasses (or contact lenses) to fix the problem.
Words and phrases related to 'Eye'
'Eye' example sentence in quotations
* When the waves are round me breaking,As I pace the deck alone,And my eye in vain is seekingSome green leaf to rest uponWhat would not I give to wanderWhere my old companions dwellAbsence makes the heart grow fonder,Isle of Beauty, fare thee well - John Milton
* The eye of a human being is a microscope, which makes the world seem bigger than it really is. - Kahlil Gibran
Click here for more related quotations on 'Eye'
Eye Sample Sentences in News
- Braverman Eye Center Offering Advanced Treatment for Cataracts in Fort Lauderdale
HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. -- via PRWEB - The Braverman Eye Center, a well-known name in the field of eye care and corrections, is offering accurate evaluation and advanced treatment for cataracts in Fort ... Read more on this news related to 'Eye'
- Eye and dry
Our preoccupation with computers, cellphones, TV may be causing us to not see straight. Read more on this news related to 'Eye'
- How to Use Every Shade in an Eye Shadow Palette: Celeb Makeup Artist Billy B. Explains
How to rock a celeb-worthy smoky eye using an eye shadow palette. Credit: George Pimentel/Getty Images; Kevin Winter/Getty Images Read more on this news related to 'Eye'