Eye Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a small hole or loop (as in a needle); "the thread wouldn''t go through the eye"
- the organ of sight
- good discernment (either with the eyes or as if with the eyes); "she has an eye for fresh talent"; "he has an artist''s eye"
- attention to what is seen; "he tried to catch her eye"
- an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
- look at
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the organ of sight ,
- good discernment (either visually or as if visually); "she has an eye for fresh talent"; "he has an artist's eye" ,
- attention to what is seen; "he tried to catch her eye" ,
- an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm" ,
- a small hole or loop (as in a needle); "the thread wouldn't go through the eye"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Eye'?
Eye Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The eye is a round organ for sensing light so animals can see. About 97 percent of animals have eyes.
In mammals, two kinds of cells, rods and cones, allow sight by sending signals through the optic nerve to the brain.
Some animals can see light that humans can not see. They can see ultraviolet or infrared light.
The lens on the front part of the eye acts like a camera lens. It can be pulled flatter by muscles inside the eye, or allowed to become rounder. As some people get older, they may not be as able to do this perfectly. Many people are born with other small problems or get them later in life, and they may need eyeglasses (or contact lenses) to fix the problem.
Words and phrases related to 'Eye'
'Eye' example sentence in quotations
* When the waves are round me breaking,As I pace the deck alone,And my eye in vain is seekingSome green leaf to rest uponWhat would not I give to wanderWhere my old companions dwellAbsence makes the heart grow fonder,Isle of Beauty, fare thee well - John Milton
* The eye of a human being is a microscope, which makes the world seem bigger than it really is. - Kahlil Gibran
Click here for more related quotations on 'Eye'
Eye Sample Sentences in News
- Eye-Tracking Tech Could Detect Concussions in Football Players
New eye-tracking technology could help doctors measure the severity of concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which are sometimes difficult to diagnose, researchers say. A team of scientists used the eye-tracking device on both people with brain injuries and healthy people, to measure whether the eyes moved in sync with each other. Many researchers are t Read more on this news related to 'Eye'
- Computer tracks eye movements to detect concussions
By Andrew M. Seaman (Reuters Health) – A new piece of technology that tracks eye movements after a head injury might be able to detect concussions and determine their severity, researchers say. The new technology is essentially like a doctor moving a finger in front of a person’s eyes after a hit to the head - except now it's automated, said Dr. Uzma Samad Read more on this news related to 'Eye'
- Eye Tracking May Help to Spot Concussions Quickly
Title: Eye Tracking May Help to Spot Concussions Quickly Category: Health News Created: 1/29/2015 12:00:00 AM Last Editorial Review: 1/29/2015 12:00:00 AM Read more on this news related to 'Eye'