Eye Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- the organ of sight [syn: oculus, optic]
- good discernment (either with the eyes or as if with the eyes); "she has an eye for fresh talent"; "he has an artist's eye"
- attention to what is seen; "he tried to catch her eye"
- an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm" [syn: center, centre, middle, heart]
- a small hole or loop (as in a needle); "the thread wouldn't go through the eye" v : look at [syn: eyeball]
- Eye \Eye\, n. [Prob. fr. nye, an eye being for a nye. See
A brood; as, an eye of pheasants.
- Eye \Eye\, n. [OE. eghe, eighe, eie, eye, AS. e['a]ge; akin to
OFries. [=a]ge, OS. ?ga, D. oog, Ohg. ouga, G. auge, Icel.
auga, Sw. ["o]ga, Dan. ["o]ie, Goth. aug?; cf. OSlav. oko,
Lish. akis, L. okulus, Gr. ?, eye, ?, the two eyes, Skr.
akshi. [root]10, 21
- Cf. Diasy, Ocular, Optic, Eyelet, Ogle.]
- The organ of sight or vision. In man, and the vertebrates generally, it is properly the movable ball or globe in the orbit, but the term often includes the adjacent parts. In most invertebrates the years are immovable ocelli, or compound eyes made up of numerous ocelli. See Ocellus. Description of illustration: a b Conjunctiva; c Cornea; d Sclerotic; e Choroid; f Cillary Muscle; g Cillary Process; h Iris; i Suspensory Ligament; k Prosterior Aqueous Chamber between h and i; l Anterior Aqueous Chamber; m Crystalline Lens; n Vitreous Humor; o Retina; p Yellow spot; q Center of blind spot; r Artery of Retina in center of the Optic Nerve. Note: The essential parts of the eye are inclosed in a tough
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Eye'?
Eye Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The eye is an organ for sensing light. About 97 percent of animals have eyes.
The evolution of eyes started with simplest light-sensitive patches in unicellular organisms. These eye-spots do nothing but detect if the surroundings are light or dark. Most animals have a biochemical 'clock' inside.
These simple eye-spots are used to adjust this daily clock, which is called circadian rhythm. Some snails, for example, see no image (picture) at all, but they sense light, which helps them stay out of bright sunlight.
More complex eyes have not lost this function. A special type of cells in the eye senses light for a different purpose than seeing. These cells are called ganglion cells. They are located in the retina. They send their information about light to the brain along a different path (the retinohypothalamic tract). This information adjusts (synchronizes) the animal's circadian rhythm to nature's light/dark cycle of 24 hours. The system also works for some blind people who cannot see light at all.[See more about Eye at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Eye'
'Eye' example sentence in quotations
* When the waves are round me breaking,As I pace the deck alone,And my eye in vain is seekingSome green leaf to rest uponWhat would not I give to wanderWhere my old companions dwellAbsence makes the heart grow fonder,Isle of Beauty, fare thee well - John Milton
* The eye of a human being is a microscope, which makes the world seem bigger than it really is. - Kahlil Gibran
Click here for more related quotations on 'Eye'
Eye Sample Sentences in News
- How Eye Tracking Could Change Computing
Tobii, a Swedish company that makes eye-tracking technology for computers, announced today (Dec. 3) that it will be releasing the EyeX Engine, a software kit to help developers utilize the company's EyeX eye-tracking tech. With the Tobii developers' kit, game makers and software designers can add support for eye tracking to their programs. A concept video Read more on this news related to 'Eye'
- Tobii EyeX Engine Drives Eye Tracking into Mainstream Applications and Devices
Tobii Technology, the global leader in eye tracking, today announced the introduction of the Tobii EyeX Engine, a new middleware that will further drive the adoption of eye tracking in mainstream applications and devices. Read more on this news related to 'Eye'
- Ohr aims big with eye drop to rival blockbusters
Patients who are being treated for a leading cause of blindness among the elderly might be able to scale back on eye injections if trials confirm the potential of an eye drop being developed by a small New York-based company. Ohr Pharmaceutical Inc's Squalamine drug - an eye drop, as opposed to the injection therapies sold by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc and Read more on this news related to 'Eye'