Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Extinguish'
- put an end to; kill; "The Nazis snuffed out the life of many Jewish children" [syn: snuff out]
- put out, as of fires, flames, or lights; "Too big to be extinguished at once, the forest fires at best could be contained"; "quench the flames"; "snuff out the candles" [syn: snuff out, blow out, quench] [ant: ignite]
- extinguish by crushing; "stub out your cigar" [syn: stub out, crush out, press out]
- kill in large numbers; "the plague wiped out an entire population" [syn: eliminate, annihilate, eradicate, wipe out, decimate, carry off]
- Extinguish \Ex*tin"guish\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Extinguished; p
pr. & vb. n. Extinguishing.] [L. extinguere, exstinguere;
ex out + stinguere to quench. See Distinguish, Finish.]
- To quench; to put out, as a light or fire; to stifle; to cause to die out; to put an end to; to destroy; as, to extinguish a flame, or life, or love, or hope, a pretense or a right. A light which the fierce winds have no power to extinguish. --Prescott. This extinguishes my right to the reversion. --Blackstone.
- To obscure; to eclipse, as by superior splendor. Natural graces that extinguish art. --Shak
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Extinguish'
A fire extinguisher is an active fire protection device used to extinguish or control small fires, often in emergency situations. It is not intended for use on an out-of-control fire, such as one which has reached the ceiling, endangers the user (i.e. no escape route, smoke, explosion hazard, etc.), or otherwise requires the expertise of a fire department. Typically, a fire extinguisher consists of a hand-held cylindrical pressure vessel containing an agent which can be discharged to extinguish a fire.
There are two main types of fire extinguishers: stored pressure and cartridge-operated. In stored pressure units, the expellant is stored in the same chamber as the firefighting agent itself. Depending on the agent used, different propellants are used. With dry chemical extinguishers, nitrogen is typically used; water and foam extinguishers typically use air. Stored pressure fire extinguishers are the most common type. Cartridge-operated extinguishers contain the expellant gas in a separate cartridge that is punctured prior to discharge, exposing the propellant to the extinguishing agent. This type is not as common, used primarily in areas such as industrial facilities, where they receive higher-than-average use. They have the advantage of simple and prompt recharge, allowing an operator to discharge the extinguisher, recharge it, and return to the fire in a reasonable amount of time. Unlike stored pressure types, these extinguishers utilize compressed carbon dioxide instead of nitrogen, although nitrogen cartridges are used on low temperature (-60 rated) models. Cartridge operated extinguishers are available in dry chemical and dry powder types in the US and in water, wetting agent, foam, dry chemical (classes ABC and BC),and dry powder (class D) types in the rest of the world.[See more about Extinguish at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Extinguish'
'Extinguish' in famous quotation sentence
* If our house be on fire, without inquiring whether it was fired from within or without, we must try to extinguish it. - Thomas Jefferson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Extinguish'
Extinguish Sample Sentences in News
- Boulder crews extinguish trailer fire after possible defrosting attempt
Boulder fire crews managed to extinguish a trailer home fire after witnesses reported a person may have been under the trailer trying to use something to heat up the trailer's piping. Read more on this news related to 'Extinguish'
- Fire crews battle blaze on East Main Street in Milford
Firefighters from several towns worked today to extinguish a three-alarm fire at an East Main Street apartment building. Read more on this news related to 'Extinguish'
- Firefighters working to extinguish fire believed intentionally set on city's Southeast Side
Firefighters are working to extinguish a blaze at a home on the city's Southeast Side, according to fire dispatch reports. Read more on this news related to 'Extinguish'