Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Extensive'
- large in spatial extent or range; "an extensive Roman settlement in northwest England"; "extended farm lands" [syn: extended]
- having broad range or effect; "had extensive press coverage"; "far-reaching changes in the social structure"; "sweeping reforms" [syn: far-reaching, sweeping]
- large in number or quantity (especially of discourse); "she took copious notes"; "extensive press coverage"; "a subject of voluminous legislation" [syn: copious, voluminous]
- great in range or scope; "an extended vocabulary"; "surgeons with extended experience"; "extensive examples of picture writing"; "suffered extensive damage"; "a wide selection" [syn: extended, wide]
- of agriculture; increasing productivity by using large areas with minimal outlay and labor; "producing wheat under extensive conditions"; "agriculture of the extensive type" [ant: intensive]
- Extensive \Ex*ten"sive\, a. [L. extensivus: cf. F. extensif. See
- Having wide extent; of much superficial extent; expanded; large; broad; wide; comprehensive; as, an extensive farm; an extensive lake; an extensive sphere of operations; extensive benevolence; extensive greatness.
- Capable of being extended. [Obs.] Silver beaters choose the finest coin, as that which is most extensive under the hammer. --Boyle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Extensive'
In the physical sciences, an intensive property (also called a bulk property), is a physical property of a system that does not depend on the system size or the amount of material in the system: it is scale invariant. By contrast, an extensive property of a system is directly proportional to the system size or the amount of material in the system.
Some intensive properties, such as viscosity, are empirical macroscopic quantities and are not relevant to extremely small systems.
For example, density is an intensive quantity as it does not depend on the quantity, while mass and volume are extensive quantities. Note that the ratio of two extensive quantities that scale in the same way is scale-invariant, and hence an intensive quantity.
An intensive quantity (also variable or property) is a physical quantity whose value does not depend on the amount of the substance for which it is measured. For example, the temperature of a system is the same as the temperature of any part of it. If the system is divided, the temperature of each subsystem is identical. The same applies to the density of a homogeneous system, if divided in half, the mass and the volume change in the identical ratio and the density remains unchanged.[See more about Extensive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Extensive'
'Extensive' in famous quotation sentence
* The more extensive a man's knowledge of what has been done, the greater will be his power of knowing what to do. - Benjamin Disraeli
* Many years ago, I concluded that a few hair shirts were part of the mental wardrobe of every man. The president differs from other men in that he has a more extensive wardrobe. - Herbert Clark Hoover
Click here for more related quotations on 'Extensive'
Extensive Sample Sentences in News
- Extensive W.A. Slaughter Art Collection Reveals Extraordinary Connection with KING AEROSPACE Founder
One would expect a tour of global aircraft services provider KING AEROSPACE to include photography showcasing luxury aircraft interior projects, custom aircraft paint exteriors and commemorative shots of military aircraft they have had the honor to service, right? Wrong. Read more on this news related to 'Extensive'
- Extensive Andy Warhol exhibit opens in Rome
(ANSA) - Rome, April 17 - An important part of the renowned Peter Brant collection of Andy Warhol paintings will be on display at the Italian capital's Museo Fondazione Roma - Palazzo Cipolla starting Friday, April 18 through September 28. Read more on this news related to 'Extensive'
- Alexa Ray Joel: I haven’t had extensive plastic surgery
Alexa Ray Joel is denying she’s had extensive plastic surgery on her face plus a boob job after a new photo of the singer sparked rumors that she’d gone under... Read more on this news related to 'Extensive'