Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Explanation'
- a statement that makes something comprehensible by describing the relevant structure or operation or circumstances etc.; "the explanation was very simple"; "I expected a brief account" [syn: account]
- thought that makes something comprehensible
- the act of explaining; making something plain or intelligible; "I heard his explanation of the accident"
- Explanation \Ex`pla*na"tion\, n. [L. explanatio: cf. OF.
- The act of explaining, expounding, or interpreting; the act of clearing from obscurity and making intelligible; as, the explanation of a passage in Scripture, or of a contract or treaty.
- That which explains or makes clear; as, a satisfactory explanation.
- The meaning attributed to anything by one who explains it; definition; interpretation; sense. Different explanations [of the Trinity]. --Bp. Burnet.
- A mutual exposition of terms, meaning, or motives, with a view to adjust a misunderstanding, and reconcile differences; reconciliation; agreement; as, to come to an explanation. Syn: Definition; description; explication; exposition; interpretation; detail. See Definition.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Explanation'
An explanation is a set of statements constructed to describe a set of facts which clarifies the causes, context, and consequences of those facts.
This description may establish rules or laws, and may clarify the existing ones in relation to any objects, or phenomena examined. The components of an explanation can be implicit, and be interwoven with one another.
An explanation is often underpinned by an understanding that is represented by different media such as music, text, and graphics. Thus, an explanation is subjected to interpretation, and discussion.
In scientific research, explanation is one of the purposes of research, e.g., exploration and description. Explanation is a way to uncover new knowledge, and to report relationships among different aspects of studied phenomena.[See more about Explanation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Explanation'
'Explanation' in famous quotation sentence
* There is no explanation for evil. It must be looked upon as a necessary part of the order of the universe. To ignore it is childish to bewail it senseless. - W. Somerset Maugham
* Scientists are the easiest to fool. They think in straight, predictable, directable, and therefore misdirectable, lines. The only world they know is the one where everything has a logical explanation and things are what they appear to be. Children and conjurors - they terrify me. Scientists are no problem against them I feel quite confident. - James P. Hogan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Explanation'
Explanation Sample Sentences in News
- Austrian Finance Minister Quits on Opposition to Tax Proposals
Michael Spindelegger, Austria's finance minister, for explanation. To Return for explanation. To Return Austrian Finance Minister Michael Spindelegger, also quit as vice chancellor and head of the Austrian People’s Party at a hastily organized news conference in Vienna today. Read more on this news related to 'Explanation'
- Customers praise Microsoft's 'no BS' explanation of cloud service outage
A Microsoft executive last week gave what some users called a "refreshingly direct" and "no BS, straight-talking" explanation of a several-hour outage of the cloud-based Visual Studio Online, collecting kudos for acknowledging mistakes and spelling out what happened. Read more on this news related to 'Explanation'
- The Most Simple Explanation Of Cloud Computing Ever, From Google
LinkedIn/Eran Feigenbaum Google’s Eran Feigenbaum Google employs 450 full-time engineers to stop hackers and other snoopers from breaking into its data centers and cloud services. And today, Google published a report card of sorts on how well they are doing in those matters. The new report explains how Google’s cloud computing services work and why they are sa Read more on this news related to 'Explanation'