Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Explanation'
- a statement that makes something comprehensible by describing the relevant structure or operation or circumstances etc.; "the explanation was very simple"; "I expected a brief account" [syn: account]
- thought that makes something comprehensible
- the act of explaining; making something plain or intelligible; "I heard his explanation of the accident"
- Explanation \Ex`pla*na"tion\, n. [L. explanatio: cf. OF.
- The act of explaining, expounding, or interpreting; the act of clearing from obscurity and making intelligible; as, the explanation of a passage in Scripture, or of a contract or treaty.
- That which explains or makes clear; as, a satisfactory explanation.
- The meaning attributed to anything by one who explains it; definition; interpretation; sense. Different explanations [of the Trinity]. --Bp. Burnet.
- A mutual exposition of terms, meaning, or motives, with a view to adjust a misunderstanding, and reconcile differences; reconciliation; agreement; as, to come to an explanation. Syn: Definition; description; explication; exposition; interpretation; detail. See Definition.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Explanation'
An explanation is a set of statements constructed to describe a set of facts which clarifies the causes, context, and consequences of those facts.
This description may establish rules or laws, and may clarify the existing ones in relation to any objects, or phenomena examined. The components of an explanation can be implicit, and be interwoven with one another.
An explanation is often underpinned by an understanding that is represented by different media such as music, text, and graphics. Thus, an explanation is subjected to interpretation, and discussion.
In scientific research, explanation is one of the purposes of research, e.g., exploration and description. Explanation is a way to uncover new knowledge, and to report relationships among different aspects of studied phenomena.[See more about Explanation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Explanation'
'Explanation' in famous quotation sentence
* There is no explanation for evil. It must be looked upon as a necessary part of the order of the universe. To ignore it is childish to bewail it senseless. - W. Somerset Maugham
* Scientists are the easiest to fool. They think in straight, predictable, directable, and therefore misdirectable, lines. The only world they know is the one where everything has a logical explanation and things are what they appear to be. Children and conjurors - they terrify me. Scientists are no problem against them I feel quite confident. - James P. Hogan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Explanation'
Explanation Sample Sentences in News
- BONUS GAMES
The simple explanation for why Cathedral Catholic left-hander Brady Aiken isn’t with the Houston Astros is this: Read more on this news related to 'Explanation'
- Failure to attend workshop: FBR calls explanation from regional LTU, RTO taxmen | Business Recorder
The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has called explanation of (Grade17 and above) tax officials working in Large Taxpayer Unit (LTU) Islamabad, Regional Tax Office (RTO) Islamabad and RTO Rawalpindi. Read more on this news related to 'Explanation'
- CEO explanations v excuses: A Jim Cramer guide
Shareholders deserve detailed explanations for underperformance, but how can you tell a reasonable explanation from an elaborate excuse? Here's how. Read more on this news related to 'Explanation'