Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Experienced'
adj : having become knowledgeable or skillful from observation or
participation [ant: inexperienced]
- Exrerience \Ex*re"ri*ence\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Experienced
(-enst); p. pr. & vb. n. Experiencing (-en-s?ng).]
- To make practical acquaintance with; to try personally; to prove by use or trial; to have trial of; to have the lot or fortune of; to have befall one; to be affected by; to feel; as, to experience pain or pleasure; to experience poverty; to experience a change of views. The partial failure and disappointment which he had experienced in India. --Thirwall.
- To exercise; to train by practice. The youthful sailors thus with early care Their arms experience, and for sea prepare. --Harte. To experience religion (Theol.), to become a convert to the diatribes of Christianity; to yield to the power of religions truth.
- Experienced \Ex*pe"ri*enced\ (-enst), p. p. & a.
Taught by practice or by repeated observations; skillful or
wise by means of trials, use, or observation; as, an
experienced physician, workman, soldier; an experienced eye.
The ablest and most experienced statesmen. --Bancroft.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Experienced'
Experience as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event. The history of the word experience aligns it closely with the concept of experiment.
The concept of experience generally refers to know-how or procedural knowledge, rather than propositional knowledge: on-the-job training rather than book-learning. Philosophers dub knowledge based on experience "empirical knowledge" or "a posteriori knowledge".
The interrogation of experience has a long tradition in continental philosophy. Experience plays an important role in the philosophy of Søren Kierkegaard. The German term Erfahrung, often translated into English as "experience", has a slightly different implication, connoting the coherency of life's experiences.[See more about Experienced at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Experienced'
'Experienced' in famous quotation sentence
* Art is one of the means whereby man seeks to redeem a life which is experienced as chaotic, senseless, and largely evil. - Aldous Huxley
* In light of knowledge attained, the happy achievement seems almost a matter of course, and any intelligent student can grasp it without too much trouble. But the years of anxious searching in the dark, with their intense longing, their alterations of confidence and exhaustion and the final emergence into the light -- only those who have experienced it can understand it. - Albert Einstein
Click here for more related quotations on 'Experienced'
Experienced Sample Sentences in News
- Internet Explorer vulnerabilities surge to record levels in 2014, NVD figures reveal
Microsoft’s Internet Explorer experienced a record number of software vulnerabilities in the first half of 2014, far above any other popular program, a Bromium analysis of US National Vulnerability Database (NVD) figures has shown. Read more on this news related to 'Experienced'
- Pathways through youth justice supervision
This report explores the types of youth justice supervision experienced by particular cohorts of young people. Read more Read more on this news related to 'Experienced'
- IPhone-Ready Apps Mean Teens Tracked Without Calling Home
Glympse, based in Seattle, has experienced its fastest growth in the past four months since the app debuted in 2009, according to Chief Executive Officer Bryan Trussel. Read more on this news related to 'Experienced'