Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Experienced'
adj : having become knowledgeable or skillful from observation or
participation [ant: inexperienced]
- Exrerience \Ex*re"ri*ence\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Experienced
(-enst); p. pr. & vb. n. Experiencing (-en-s?ng).]
- To make practical acquaintance with; to try personally; to prove by use or trial; to have trial of; to have the lot or fortune of; to have befall one; to be affected by; to feel; as, to experience pain or pleasure; to experience poverty; to experience a change of views. The partial failure and disappointment which he had experienced in India. --Thirwall.
- To exercise; to train by practice. The youthful sailors thus with early care Their arms experience, and for sea prepare. --Harte. To experience religion (Theol.), to become a convert to the diatribes of Christianity; to yield to the power of religions truth.
- Experienced \Ex*pe"ri*enced\ (-enst), p. p. & a.
Taught by practice or by repeated observations; skillful or
wise by means of trials, use, or observation; as, an
experienced physician, workman, soldier; an experienced eye.
The ablest and most experienced statesmen. --Bancroft.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Experienced'
Experience as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event. The history of the word experience aligns it closely with the concept of experiment.
The concept of experience generally refers to know-how or procedural knowledge, rather than propositional knowledge: on-the-job training rather than book-learning. Philosophers dub knowledge based on experience "empirical knowledge" or "a posteriori knowledge".
The interrogation of experience has a long tradition in continental philosophy. Experience plays an important role in the philosophy of Søren Kierkegaard. The German term Erfahrung, often translated into English as "experience", has a slightly different implication, connoting the coherency of life's experiences.[See more about Experienced at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Experienced'
'Experienced' in famous quotation sentence
* Art is one of the means whereby man seeks to redeem a life which is experienced as chaotic, senseless, and largely evil. - Aldous Huxley
* In light of knowledge attained, the happy achievement seems almost a matter of course, and any intelligent student can grasp it without too much trouble. But the years of anxious searching in the dark, with their intense longing, their alterations of confidence and exhaustion and the final emergence into the light -- only those who have experienced it can understand it. - Albert Einstein
Click here for more related quotations on 'Experienced'
Experienced Sample Sentences in News
- Experienced North Texas OL will test talented Texas front
When Navarro College transfer Josh Greer takes the first snap from center on Saturday against the Texas Longhorns for the North Texas Mean Green, he will do so behind one of the nation's most experienced offensive lines. The hope for North Texas is that the experienced group can help propel a more effective running game after ranking No. 89 nationally in rus Read more on this news related to 'Experienced'
- Experienced Hawkeyes full of optimism
Iowa's biggest concern could be at kicker. Iowa opens the season Saturday against Northern Iowa with a remarkably settled depth chart. Aside from the kicking game and a bit of jostling at linebacker, the Hawkeyes know exactly who they'll be counting on in 2014. As long as Iowa stays healthy - and that's a huge if to anyone who has followed the program Read more on this news related to 'Experienced'
- Experienced college staff replaced
EXPERIENCED staff at Barnsley College were dismissed and replaced by workers on 'low salaries and inferior contracts', according to the University and College Union (UCU). Read more on this news related to 'Experienced'