Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Excrescence'
Excrescence Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from a form [syn: bulge, bump, hump, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion]
- (pathology) an abnormal outgrowth or enlargement of some part of the body
- Excrescence \Ex*cres"cence\n. [F. excrescence, excroissanse, L.
excrescentia excrescences, neut. pl. of p. pr. of excrescere.
An excrescent appendage, as, a wart or tumor; anything
growing out unnaturally from anything else; a preternatural
or morbid development; hence, a troublesome superfluity; an
incumbrance; as, an excrescence on the body, or on a plant.
``Excrescences of joy.'' --Jer. Taylor.
The excrescences of the Spanish monarchy. --Addison.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Excrescence'
- Excrescence: Excrescence is something that is an outgrowth of something else. Depending on the subject matter, this may or may not be something ...
- Excrescence (architecture): An excrescence is an outgrowth of the main body of a building that does not harmonize well with the main body. The term was used by John ...
Words and phrases related to 'Excrescence'