Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Examination'
- the act of examining something closely (as for mistakes) [syn: scrutiny]
- a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge; "when the test was stolen the professor had to make a new set of questions" [syn: exam, test]
- formal systematic questioning [syn: interrogation, interrogatory]
- examination of conscience (as done daily by Jesuits) [syn: examen]
- the act of giving students or candidates a test (as by questions) to determine what they know or have learned [syn: testing]
- Examination \Ex*am`i*na"tion\, n. [L. examinatio: cf. F.
- The act of examining, or state of being examined; a careful search, investigation, or inquiry; scrutiny by study or experiment.
- A process prescribed or assigned for testing qualification; as, the examination of a student, or of a candidate for admission to the bar or the ministry. He neglected the studies, . . . stood low at the examinations. --Macaulay. Examination in chief, or Direct examination (Law), that examination which is made of a witness by a party calling him. Cross-examination, that made by the opposite party. Re["e]xamination, or Re-direct examination, that made by a party calling a witness, after, and upon matters arising out of, the cross-examination. Syn: Search; inquiry; investigation; research; scrutiny; inquisition; inspection; exploration.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Examination'
A test or an examination (or "exam") is an assessment intended to measure a test-taker's knowledge, skill, aptitude, physical fitness, or classification in many other topics (e.g., beliefs). In practice, a test may be administered orally, on paper, on a computer, or in a confined area that requires a test taker to physically perform a set of skills. The basic component of a test is an item, which is sometimes colloquially referred to as a "question." Nevertheless, not every item is phrased as a question given that an item may be phrased as a true/false statement or as a task that must be performed (in a performance test). In many formal standardized tests, a test item is often retrievable from an item bank.
Test vary in style, rigor and requirements. For example, in a closed book test, a test taker is often required to rely upon memory to respond to specific items whereas in an open book test, a test taker may use one or more supplementary tools such as a reference book or calculator when responding to an item. A test may be administered formally or informally. An example of an informal test would be a reading test administered by a parent to a child. An example of a formal test would be a final examination administered by a teacher in a classroom or an I.Q. test administered by a psychologist in a clinic. Formal testing often results in a grade or a test score. A test score may be interpreted with regards to a norm or criterion, or occasionally both. The norm may be established independently, or by statistical analysis of a large number of participants.[See more about Examination at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Examination'
'Examination' in famous quotation sentence
* Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide. - Buddha
* Universities should be safe havens where ruthless examination of realities will not be distorted by the aim to please or inhibited by the risk of displeasure. - Kingman Brewster, Jr.
Click here for more related quotations on 'Examination'
Examination Sample Sentences in News
- 365 Main Successfully Completes SSAE 16 Examination of its 16 Data Centers
SAN FRANCISCO, May 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- 365 Main Inc ., a leading data center developer and operator, today announced that it has successfully completed its company-wide SSAE 16 examination. SSAE ... Read more on this news related to 'Examination'
- Scene examination continues in Far North
A scene examination's to be carried out in the Far North today, following an incident that's left one man dead and a woman critically injured. Read more on this news related to 'Examination'
- Tsatsu ends cross-examination, but hints of a return
Tsatsu Tsikata, counsel for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) has finally brought his cross-examination to an end, albeit temporarily. It is the longest-running cross-examination in the hearing of the presidential election petition so far. Read more on this news related to 'Examination'