Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Examination'
- the act of examining something closely (as for mistakes) [syn: scrutiny]
- a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge; "when the test was stolen the professor had to make a new set of questions" [syn: exam, test]
- formal systematic questioning [syn: interrogation, interrogatory]
- examination of conscience (as done daily by Jesuits) [syn: examen]
- the act of giving students or candidates a test (as by questions) to determine what they know or have learned [syn: testing]
- Examination \Ex*am`i*na"tion\, n. [L. examinatio: cf. F.
- The act of examining, or state of being examined; a careful search, investigation, or inquiry; scrutiny by study or experiment.
- A process prescribed or assigned for testing qualification; as, the examination of a student, or of a candidate for admission to the bar or the ministry. He neglected the studies, . . . stood low at the examinations. --Macaulay. Examination in chief, or Direct examination (Law), that examination which is made of a witness by a party calling him. Cross-examination, that made by the opposite party. Re["e]xamination, or Re-direct examination, that made by a party calling a witness, after, and upon matters arising out of, the cross-examination. Syn: Search; inquiry; investigation; research; scrutiny; inquisition; inspection; exploration.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Examination'
A test or an examination (or "exam") is an assessment intended to measure a test-taker's knowledge, skill, aptitude, physical fitness, or classification in many other topics (e.g., beliefs). In practice, a test may be administered orally, on paper, on a computer, or in a confined area that requires a test taker to physically perform a set of skills. The basic component of a test is an item, which is sometimes colloquially referred to as a "question." Nevertheless, not every item is phrased as a question given that an item may be phrased as a true/false statement or as a task that must be performed (in a performance test). In many formal standardized tests, a test item is often retrievable from an item bank.
Test vary in style, rigor and requirements. For example, in a closed book test, a test taker is often required to rely upon memory to respond to specific items whereas in an open book test, a test taker may use one or more supplementary tools such as a reference book or calculator when responding to an item. A test may be administered formally or informally. An example of an informal test would be a reading test administered by a parent to a child. An example of a formal test would be a final examination administered by a teacher in a classroom or an I.Q. test administered by a psychologist in a clinic. Formal testing often results in a grade or a test score. A test score may be interpreted with regards to a norm or criterion, or occasionally both. The norm may be established independently, or by statistical analysis of a large number of participants.[See more about Examination at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Examination'
'Examination' in famous quotation sentence
* Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide. - Buddha
* Universities should be safe havens where ruthless examination of realities will not be distorted by the aim to please or inhibited by the risk of displeasure. - Kingman Brewster, Jr.
Click here for more related quotations on 'Examination'
Examination Sample Sentences in News
- Mapua grads top sanitary engineer board exams
The Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) announced Monday that 106 out of 166 passed the Sanitary Engineer Licensure Examination given by the Board of Sanitary Engineering in Manila last August 2014. Read more on this news related to 'Examination'
- Witnesses describe fatal dog attack on Michigan jogger during owners' preliminary examination
A witness told a judge during a preliminary examination for the owners of two dogs that fatally mauled a jogger that he had to shoot at the animals to make them flee. Read more on this news related to 'Examination'
- Sanitary Engineer Licensure Examination
Roll of Successful Examinees in the Sanitary Engineer Licensure Examination Held on AUGUST 26, 2014 & FF. DAYS Released on SEPTEMBER 1, 2014 Seq. No. N a m e 1 ABANTE, ORVEN JING DIALOGO 2 ABARGOS, REGINE DELA TORRE 3 ABITO, JUDD MICHAEL NUÑEZ 4 AFANTE, RICHARD PATULOT 5 ALFEREZ, JAMES BONN [...] Read more on this news related to 'Examination'