Erosion Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- erosion by chemical action
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it)
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors"
- condition in which the earth''s surface is worn away by the action of water and wind
Definitions from Wiktionary
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it) ,
- condition in which the earth's surface is worn away by the action of water and wind ,
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors" ,
- erosion by chemical action
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Erosion'?
Erosion Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Erosion is the process of natural forces moving rocks and [[soil. Rocks and soil can be referred to as earth materials. The natural forces that make erosion happen are water, wind, ice, and gravity.
Geology is the study of the structure of the earth and the processes that change the earth. Erosion is a geological process. Erosion occurs at the earth's surface, and has no effect on earth's mantle and Earth's core.
Most of the energy that makes erosion happen is provided by the sun. The sun's energy causes the movement of water and ice in the water cycle and the movement of air to create wind. If the sun did not provide energy for erosion, only gravity erosion would still occur.
Erosion can cause problems that affect humans. Soil erosion, for example, can create problems for farmers. Soil erosion can remove soil, leaving a thin layer or rocky soil behind. Erosion can also cause problems for humans by removing rocks or soil that support buildings.
Words and phrases related to 'Erosion'
'Erosion' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Erosion'
Erosion Sample Sentences in News
- Terra Novo to Exhibit Erosion Control Solutions at IECA Environmental Connection 2015
Terra Novo, a leading manufacturer of erosion- and sediment-control products, will exhibit its family of green products at the International Erosion Control Association Region One Environmental Connection ... Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Terra Novo's EarthGuard Fiber Matrix Receives Top Rating From AASHTO
Terra Novo, a leading manufacturer of erosion- and sediment-control products, announces the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials through its National Transportation Product Evaluation ... Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Rigid wall will aggravate sea erosion: expert
“Building a rigid wall is not the right solution to sea surge and soil erosion on the Visakhapatnam beach. A rigid wall will divert the energy of the waves upstream. What we need is a technology th... Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'