Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Erosion'
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it) [syn: eroding, eating away, wearing, wearing away]
- condition in which the earth's surface is worn away by the action of water and wind
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors"
- erosion by chemical action [syn: corrosion, corroding]
- Erosion \E*ro"sion\, n.
The wearing away of the earth's surface by any natural
process. The chief agent of erosion is running water; minor
agents are glaciers, the wind, and waves breaking against the
- Erosion \E*ro"sion\, n. [L. erosio. See Erode.]
- The act or operation of eroding or eating away.
- The state of being eaten away; corrosion; canker.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Erosion'
Erosion is the process of weathering and transport of solids (sediment, soil, rock and other particles) in the natural environment or their source and deposits them elsewhere. It usually occurs due to transport by wind, water, or ice; by down-slope creep of soil and other material under the force of gravity; or by living organisms, such as burrowing animals, in the case of bioerosion.
Erosion is a natural process, but it has been increased dramatically by human land use, especially industrial agriculture, deforestation, and urban sprawl. Land that is used for industrial agriculture generally experiences a significantly greater rate of erosion than that of land under natural vegetation, or land used for sustainable agricultural practices. This is particularly true if tillage is used, which reduces vegetation cover on the surface of the soil and disturbs both soil structure and plant roots that would otherwise hold the soil in place. However, improved land use practices can limit erosion, using techniques such as terrace-building, conservation tillage practices, and tree planting.[See more about Erosion at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Erosion'
'Erosion' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Erosion'
Erosion Sample Sentences in News
- Liberia: West Point Residents Make Plea for Relocation After Sea Erosion
[FrontPageAfrica]Monrovia -Already under Ebola quarantine, residents of the West Point Community were facing another devastation after sea erosion wiped away several houses on Monday. Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Open houses discuss erosion problems for the Elgin County shoreline
The rate of erosion of the Lake Erie shoreline in Elgin County is astounding. Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Weather hitting coast also causing concerns of erosion in St. Johns County
HOUR FORECAST ON THAT. THANK YOU, JOHN. THE STORM IS RAISING CONCERNS AGAIN ABOUT EROSION ALONG THE ST. JOHN COUNTY COASTLINE. SCOTT JOHNSON IS LIVE WITH A LOOK AT THE CONDITIONS THERE, TONIGHT, SCOTT. Reporter: THE WAVES ARE COMING AS FAR IN AS I'VE EVER SEEN. DOWN TO ST. AUGUSTINE WHERE IT IS ERODING QUITE A BIT. THE WIND HAS BEEN KNOCKING IT BACK. MILLIONS Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'