Erosion Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- erosion by chemical action
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it)
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors"
- condition in which the earth''s surface is worn away by the action of water and wind
Definitions from Wiktionary
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it) ,
- condition in which the earth's surface is worn away by the action of water and wind ,
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors" ,
- erosion by chemical action
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Erosion'?
Erosion Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Erosion is the process of natural forces moving rocks and soil. Rocks and soil can be referred to as earth materials. The natural forces that make erosion happen are water, wind, ice, and gravity.
Geology is the study of the structure of the earth and the processes that change the earth. Erosion is a geological process. Erosion occurs at the earth's surface, and has no effect on earth's mantle and core.
Most of the energy that makes erosion happen is provided by the sun. The sun's energy causes the movement of water and ice in the water cycle and the movement of air to create wind. If the sun did not provide energy for erosion, only gravity erosion would still occur.
Erosion can cause problems that affect humans. Soil erosion, for example, can create problems for farmers. Soil erosion can remove soil, leaving a thin layer or rocky soil behind. Erosion can also cause problems for humans by removing rocks or soil that support buildings.
Words and phrases related to 'Erosion'
'Erosion' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Erosion'
Erosion Sample Sentences in News
- Forward Pharma Receives Issue Notification for Erosion Matrix Patent in the U.S.
COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Forward Pharma A/S ("the Company") announced today that the Company received an issue notification from the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) regarding ... Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Erosion blamed for Stony discoloration
A natural erosion event in Egmont National Park has caused discoloration of the Stony River. Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Erosion may trigger earthquakes
Researchers have shown that surface processes, i.e. erosion and sedimentation, may trigger shallow earthquakes (less than five kilometers deep) and favor the rupture of large deep earthquakes up to the surface. Although plate tectonics was generally thought to be the only persistent mechanism able to influence fault activity, it appears that surface processes also Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'