Erosion Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- erosion by chemical action
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it)
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors"
- condition in which the earth''s surface is worn away by the action of water and wind
Definitions from Wiktionary
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it) ,
- condition in which the earth's surface is worn away by the action of water and wind ,
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors" ,
- erosion by chemical action
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Erosion'?
Erosion Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Erosion is the process of natural forces moving rocks and soil. Rocks and soil can be referred to as earth materials. The natural forces that make erosion happen are water, wind, ice, and gravity.
Geology is the study of the structure of the earth and the processes that change the earth. Erosion is a geological process. Erosion occurs at the earth's surface, and has no effect on earth's mantle and core.
Most of the energy that makes erosion happen is provided by the sun. The sun's energy causes the movement of water and ice in the water cycle and the movement of air to create wind. If the sun did not provide energy for erosion, only gravity erosion would still occur.
Erosion can cause problems that affect humans. Soil erosion, for example, can create problems for farmers. Soil erosion can remove soil, leaving a thin layer or rocky soil behind. Erosion can also cause problems for humans by removing rocks or soil that support buildings.
Words and phrases related to 'Erosion'
'Erosion' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Erosion'
Erosion Sample Sentences in News
- Port Fairy's East Beach still eroding, but rock barriers working
EROSION continues to undermine parts of Port Fairy’s East Beach, according to studies by a local environmental group. Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Erosion hits thousands all over Mekong Delta
HCM CITY - Land erosion is becoming severe in the Cuu Long (Mekong) Delta, affecting the lives of thousands of people. In An Giang, one of the most flooded provinces in the area and the hardest hit by erosion, several cases of erosion have occurred recently. For instance, the erosion of a river bank in Tan Chau town's Long Chau Ward caused 8,000sq.m of soil al Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Erosion - and what to do about it - worries Strathmere homeowners
As his wife, Pat, watched anxiously, Jack Monaghan climbed the slatted dune fence that once separated their Strathmere home from a state park, and pointed down at the crashing sea. Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'