Erosion Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- erosion by chemical action
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it)
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors"
- condition in which the earth''s surface is worn away by the action of water and wind
Definitions from Wiktionary
- (geology) the mechanical process of wearing or grinding something down (as by particles washing over it) ,
- condition in which the earth's surface is worn away by the action of water and wind ,
- a gradual decline of something; "after the accounting scandal there was an erosion of confidence in the auditors" ,
- erosion by chemical action
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Erosion'?
Erosion Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Erosion is the process of natural forces moving rocks and soil. Rocks and soil can be referred to as earth materials. The natural forces that make erosion happen are water, wind, ice, and gravity.
Geology is the study of the structure of the earth and the processes that change the earth. Erosion is a geological process. Erosion occurs at the earth's surface, and has no effect on earth's mantle and core.
Most of the energy that makes erosion happen is provided by the sun. The sun's energy causes the movement of water and ice in the water cycle and the movement of air to create wind. If the sun did not provide energy for erosion, only gravity erosion would still occur.
Erosion can cause problems that affect humans. Soil erosion, for example, can create problems for farmers. Soil erosion can remove soil, leaving a thin layer or rocky soil behind. Erosion can also cause problems for humans by removing rocks or soil that support buildings.
Words and phrases related to 'Erosion'
'Erosion' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Erosion'
Erosion Sample Sentences in News
- Erosion Causes Lynchburg City to Monitor Old Landfill
Lynchburg, VA -Lynchburg city officials say they plan to start monitoring methane gas levels around the Dearington Elementary school playground. Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
- Drainage & Erosion Solutions, LLC Can Now Install Bridges for Effective Flood Prevention
As the fall season goes into full swing, Drainage & Erosion Solutions, LLC notes that it has seen a steep increase in homeowners who encounter flooding problems affecting private bridges. In response to this problem, they have developed effective bridge designs in order to stop further flooding from happening. (PRWeb October 27, 2014) Read the full story at http:/ Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'
County staff filled in erosion at Vamo Park Drive after receiving a complaint earlier in October. A resident who lives near the small kayak launch emailed Sarasota County Commissioners Oct. 2 to ask the county to address the issue, as the erosion was making the ramp difficult and risky to use. Read more on this news related to 'Erosion'