Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Erection'
- an erect penis [syn: hard-on]
- a structure that has been erected
- the act of building or putting up [syn: erecting]
- Erection \E*rec"tion\, n. [L. erectio: cf. F. ['e]rection.]
- The act of erecting, or raising upright; the act of constructing, as a building or a wall, or of fitting together the parts of, as a machine; the act of founding or establishing, as a commonwealth or an office; also, the act of rousing to excitement or courage.
- The state of being erected, lifted up, built, established, or founded; exaltation of feelings or purposes. Her peerless height my mind to high erection draws up. --Sidney
- State of being stretched to stiffness; tension.
- Anything erected; a building of any kind.
- (Physiol.) The state of a part which, from having been soft, has become hard and swollen by the accumulation of blood in the erectile tissue.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Erection'
Penile erection is a physiological phenomenon where the penis becomes enlarged and firm. Penile erection is the result of a complex interaction of psychological, neural, vascular and endocrine factors, and is usually, though not exclusively, associated with sexual arousal. Penile erection can also occur due to a full urinary bladder. In some males, erection can occur spontaneously at any time of day, and is known as nocturnal penile tumescence when occurring during rapid eye movement sleep.
Penile erection occurs when two tubular structures that run the length of the penis, the corpora cavernosa, become engorged with venous blood. This may result from any of various physiological stimuli, also known as sexual stimulation and sexual arousal. The corpus spongiosum is a single tubular structure located just below the corpora cavernosa, which contains the urethra, through which urine and semen pass during urination and ejaculation, respectively. This may also become slightly engorged with blood, but less so than the corpora cavernosa.[See more about Erection at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Erection'
Erection Sample Sentences in News
- Heavy Lift Cranes, Steel Erection, Industrial Rigging and More, by Buckner Companies, a Feature of "Industry Today" on ...
Industrial Info Resources is pleased to host Buckner Companies on this edition of "Industry Today." Having been in business since 1947, Buckner Companies has become one of the nation's most well-respected ... Read more on this news related to 'Erection'
- All Erection Picks Up 10 Manitowoc MLC300 Crawler Cranes
The 336-ton crane, which debuts at the CONEXPO-CON/AGG show in Las Vegas, comes with Manitowoc's next-generation Variable Position Counterweight. Read more on this news related to 'Erection'
- WOMAN suffers from five-day erection of the clitoris after
The 29-year-old had been taking medication to boost her libido, but had recently upped the dose, according to a report of her case in the Journal of Sexual Medicine. Read more on this news related to 'Erection'