Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Erection'
- an erect penis [syn: hard-on]
- a structure that has been erected
- the act of building or putting up [syn: erecting]
- Erection \E*rec"tion\, n. [L. erectio: cf. F. ['e]rection.]
- The act of erecting, or raising upright; the act of constructing, as a building or a wall, or of fitting together the parts of, as a machine; the act of founding or establishing, as a commonwealth or an office; also, the act of rousing to excitement or courage.
- The state of being erected, lifted up, built, established, or founded; exaltation of feelings or purposes. Her peerless height my mind to high erection draws up. --Sidney
- State of being stretched to stiffness; tension.
- Anything erected; a building of any kind.
- (Physiol.) The state of a part which, from having been soft, has become hard and swollen by the accumulation of blood in the erectile tissue.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Erection'
Penile erection is a physiological phenomenon where the penis becomes enlarged and firm. Penile erection is the result of a complex interaction of psychological, neural, vascular and endocrine factors, and is usually, though not exclusively, associated with sexual arousal. Penile erection can also occur due to a full urinary bladder. In some males, erection can occur spontaneously at any time of day, and is known as nocturnal penile tumescence when occurring during rapid eye movement sleep.
Penile erection occurs when two tubular structures that run the length of the penis, the corpora cavernosa, become engorged with venous blood. This may result from any of various physiological stimuli, also known as sexual stimulation and sexual arousal. The corpus spongiosum is a single tubular structure located just below the corpora cavernosa, which contains the urethra, through which urine and semen pass during urination and ejaculation, respectively. This may also become slightly engorged with blood, but less so than the corpora cavernosa.[See more about Erection at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Erection'
Erection Sample Sentences in News
- Cheaper Viagra good news for men with erection problems
A fall in the price of Viagra will remove a barrier to the sexual fulfilment of older men who have problems getting an erection. Read more on this news related to 'Erection'
- L&T Hyderabad Metro achieves major milestone
Hyderabad Metro rail project has created a construction record today with the erection of the 1.000th viaduct span and completion of 27 Km of metro viaduct in just 20 months. Read more on this news related to 'Erection'
- Doctor banned over erection query
A DOCTOR who asked a female patient if she was trying to give him an erection has been suspended. But it was his subsequent actions that landed him in more trouble. Read more on this news related to 'Erection'