Eponym Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a name derived from the name of person (real or imaginary) as the name of Alexandria is derived from the name of its founder: Alexander the Great
- the name of a person for whom something is supposedly named; "Constantine I is the eponym for Constantinople"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the person for whom something is named; "Constantine I is the eponym for Constantinople" ,
- the name derived from a person (real or imaginary); "Down's syndrome is an eponym for the English physician John Down"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Eponym'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Eponym'
- Eponym: album, see Eponymous (album). Not to be confused with Namesake. An eponym is a person, place, or thing for whom or for which something is named, or
- Eponym dating system: Eponym dating system was a calendar system for Assyria, for a period of over one thousand years. Every year was associated with the name, an eponym,
- Lists of places by eponym: These are lists of places by eponym, i.e. lists grouping places named after the same person (eponym). Abu Bakar of Johor Benjamin Franklin C. N. Annadurai
- Medical eponyms: Medical eponyms are terms used in medicine which are named after people (and occasionally places or things). New discoveries are often attached to the
- Mari Eponym Chronicle: The Assyrian Eponym Chronicles represent an important source for the chronology of the Ancient Near East. They are chronicles or annals, which list at