Eponym Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a name derived from the name of person (real or imaginary) as the name of Alexandria is derived from the name of its founder: Alexander the Great
- the name of a person for whom something is supposedly named; "Constantine I is the eponym for Constantinople"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the person for whom something is named; "Constantine I is the eponym for Constantinople" ,
- the name derived from a person (real or imaginary); "Down's syndrome is an eponym for the English physician John Down"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Eponym'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Eponym'
- Eponym: album, see Eponymous (album). Not to be confused with Namesake. An eponym is a person, place, or thing for whom or for which something is named, or
- Eponym dating system: Eponym dating system was a calendar system for Assyria, for a period of over one thousand years. Every year was associated with the name, an eponym,
- Medical eponyms: Medical eponyms are terms used in medicine which are named after people (and occasionally places or things). New discoveries are often attached to the
- Lists of places by eponym: These are lists of places by eponym, i.e. lists grouping places named after the same person (eponym). Abu Bakar of Johor Benjamin Franklin C. N. Annadurai
- Mari Eponym Chronicle: The Assyrian Eponym Chronicles represent an important source for the chronology of the Ancient Near East. They are chronicles or annals, which list at
- List of medical eponyms with Nazi associations: article lists medical eponyms which have been associated with Nazi human experimentation or Nazi politics. While normally eponyms used in medicine serve
- Eponym Group: The Eponym Group (Persian: گروه همنام; Hamnam) was an electoral list for the Iranian legislative election, 1980 claiming "it would choose its candidates
- List of eponyms (A–K): An eponym is a person (real or fictitious) from whom something is said to take its name. The word is back-formed from "eponymous", from the Greek "eponymos"
- Eponym (disambiguation): An eponym is a name that originates from that of some person (real or fictional). "Eponymous" is often used to mean "self-titled." "Eponymous" may also
- List of eponyms (L–Z): An eponym is a person (real or fictitious) whose name has become identified with a particular object or activity. Here is a list of eponyms: A–K – L