Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Epidermis'
Epidermis Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : the outer layer of the skin covering the exterior body
surface of vertebrates [syn: cuticle]
- Periostracum \Per`i*os"tra*cum\, n.; pl. Periostraca. [NL.,
fr. Gr. ? around + ? shell of a testacean.] (Zo["o]l.)
A chitinous membrane covering the exterior of many shells; --
called also epidermis.
- Epidermis \Ep`i*der"mis\, n. [L., fr. Gr. ?; ? over + ? skin,
fr. ? to skin. See Tear, v. t.]
- (Anat.) The outer, nonsensitive layer of the skin; cuticle; scarfskin. See Dermis.
- (Bot.) The outermost layer of the cells, which covers both surfaces of leaves, and also the surface of stems, when they are first formed. As stems grow old this layer is lost, and never replaced.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Epidermis'
- Epidermis: Epidermis may refer to: Epidermis (botany), in plants, the outermost layer of cells covering the leaves and young parts of a plant ...
- Epidermis (skin): The epidermis is the outer layer of the skin which together with the dermis forms the cutis . The epidermis is a stratified squamous ...
- Epidermis (botany): The epidermis is a single-layered group of cells that covers plants' leaves , flowers , roots and stems . It forms a boundary between the ...
- Epidermis (zoology): The Epidermis (zoology) is an epithelium (sheet of cells ) that covers the body of an eumetazoa n (animal more complex than a sponge ...
- Leaf epidermis: REDIRECT epidermis (botany)
- Reconstructed human epidermis: Reconstructed Human Epidermis (RHE) is human skin tissues obtained from an in-vitro process in which human keratinocyte s are cultured ...
Words and phrases related to 'Epidermis'
Epidermis Sample Sentences in News
- Scientists discover that pluripotency factor NANOG is also active in adult organisms
Scientists from the Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) have discovered that NANOG, an essential gene for embryonic stem cells, also regulates cell division in stratified epithelia—those that form part of the epidermis of the skin or cover the oesophagus or the vagina—in adult organisms. According to the conclusions of the study, published in the jo Read more on this news related to 'Epidermis'