Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Enthrone'
- provide with power and authority; "They vested the council with special rights" [syn: invest, vest] [ant: divest]
- put a monarch on the throne; "The Queen was enthroned more than 50 years ago" [syn: throne] [ant: dethrone]
- Enthrone \En*throne"\, v. t. [Pref. en- + throne: cf. OF.
enthroner. Cf. Inthronize.]
- To seat on a throne; to exalt to the seat of royalty or of high authority; hence, to invest with sovereign authority or dignity. Beneath a sculptured arch he sits enthroned. --Pope. It [mercy] is enthroned in the hearts of kings. --Shak.
- (Eccl.) To induct, as a bishop, into the powers and privileges of a vacant see.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Enthrone'
An enthronement is a ceremony of inauguration, involving a person—usually a monarch or religious leader—being formally seated for the first time upon their throne. This ritual is generally distinguished from a coronation because there is no crown or other regalia that is physically bestowed upon the one being enthroned, though regalia may be present at the ceremony. However, due to traditional usage of "coronation" to describe enthronements of sovereigns who are not physically crowned, the terms are often used interchangeably when referring to such ceremonies. Enthronements occur in both church and state settings, since the throne is seen as a symbol of authority, both secular and spiritual.
Enthronements are most popular in religious settings, as an armchair is seen as the symbol of the authority to teach. Thus in Christianity, bishops of almost all denominations have a ceremony of enthronement after they assume office. The Roman Catholic Church has of late referred to Latin Rite enthronements as episcopal "installations", but the substance of the ceremony remains the same. However, Eastern Catholic Churches, Orthodox Churches, and the Anglican Church retain the term and often have elaborate ceremonies marking the inauguration of their episcopates.[See more about Enthrone at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Enthrone'
Enthrone Sample Sentences in News
- Netherlands prepares to enthrone king
Amsterdam is preparing to paint the town orange ahead of the enthronement of king Willem-Alexander. Read more on this news related to 'Enthrone'
- Dutch to enthrone '21st-century king' Willem-Alexander
THE HAGUE (AFP) - Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander becomes Europe's youngest monarch on Tuesday when his mother, Queen Beatrix, abdicates and his country hails the avowedly 21st-century king with a massive, orange-hued party. Read more on this news related to 'Enthrone'
- Dutch enthrone '21st-century king' Willem-Alexander
Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander becomes Europe's youngest monarch on Tuesday when his mother, Queen Beatrix, abdicates and his country hails the avowedly 21st-century king with a massive, orange-hued party. Read more on this news related to 'Enthrone'