Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Enjoined'
- Enjoin \En*join"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Enjoined; p. pr. & vb.
n. Enjoining.] [F. enjoindre, L. injungere to join into,
charge, enjoin; in + jungere to join. See Join, and cf.
- To lay upon, as an order or command; to give an injunction to; to direct with authority; to order; to charge. High matter thou enjoin'st me. --Milton. I am enjoined by oath to observe three things. --Shak.
- (Law) To prohibit or restrain by a judicial order or decree; to put an injunction on. This is a suit to enjoin the defendants from disturbing the plaintiffs. --Kent. Note: Enjoin has the force of pressing admonition with authority; as, a parent enjoins on his children the duty of obedience. But it has also the sense of command; as, the duties enjoined by God in the moral law. ``This word is more authoritative than direct, and less imperious than command.'' --Johnson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Enjoined'
An injunction is an equitable remedy in the form of a court order that requires a party to do, or to refrain from doing, certain acts. A party that fails to comply with an injunction faces criminal or civil penalties and may have to pay damages or accept sanctions. In some cases, breaches of injunctions are considered serious criminal offenses that merit arrest and possible prison sentences.
This injunctive power to restore the status quo ante; that is, to make whole again someone whose rights have been violated, is essential to the concept of fairness (equity). For example, money damages would be of scant benefit to a land owner who wished simply to prevent someone from repeatedly trespassing on his land.
These are some common reasons for injunctions:
A gag order is an order by a court or government restricting information or comment from being made public.[See more about Enjoined at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Enjoined'
Enjoined Sample Sentences in News
- Alan Kyerematen wishes Muslims Eid-Mubarak
Today, Muslim’s throughout the world are enjoined to feast signifying the successful conclusion of the Ramadan. It was a period of spiritual gratification and purity. Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'
- Legarda Joins Muslims in Celebrating Eidul Fitr
July 29, 2014. Senator Loren Legarda expressed solidarity with Filipino Muslims as she enjoined all Filipinos, regardless of religious and spiritual beliefs, to share in the celebration of Eidul Fitr. Legarda, author of RA 9177 also known as the Act Declaring Eidul Fitr a National Holiday, emphasized the value... Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'
- Guv to execs: Ensure INC's safety for centennial bash
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- Governor Lilia Pineda enjoined on Wednesday all local chief executives in Pampanga and the local police to ensure the road safety of the members of the Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) in Pampanga and those coming from other provinces in Central and Northern Luzon who will attend their centennial celebration. Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'