Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Enjoined'
- Enjoin \En*join"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Enjoined; p. pr. & vb.
n. Enjoining.] [F. enjoindre, L. injungere to join into,
charge, enjoin; in + jungere to join. See Join, and cf.
- To lay upon, as an order or command; to give an injunction to; to direct with authority; to order; to charge. High matter thou enjoin'st me. --Milton. I am enjoined by oath to observe three things. --Shak.
- (Law) To prohibit or restrain by a judicial order or decree; to put an injunction on. This is a suit to enjoin the defendants from disturbing the plaintiffs. --Kent. Note: Enjoin has the force of pressing admonition with authority; as, a parent enjoins on his children the duty of obedience. But it has also the sense of command; as, the duties enjoined by God in the moral law. ``This word is more authoritative than direct, and less imperious than command.'' --Johnson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Enjoined'
An injunction is an equitable remedy in the form of a court order that requires a party to do, or to refrain from doing, certain acts. A party that fails to comply with an injunction faces criminal or civil penalties and may have to pay damages or accept sanctions. In some cases, breaches of injunctions are considered serious criminal offenses that merit arrest and possible prison sentences.
This injunctive power to restore the status quo ante; that is, to make whole again someone whose rights have been violated, is essential to the concept of fairness (equity). For example, money damages would be of scant benefit to a land owner who wished simply to prevent someone from repeatedly trespassing on his land.
These are some common reasons for injunctions:
A gag order is an order by a court or government restricting information or comment from being made public.[See more about Enjoined at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Enjoined'
Enjoined Sample Sentences in News
- Guv to execs: Ensure INC's safety for centennial bash
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- Governor Lilia Pineda enjoined on Wednesday all local chief executives in Pampanga and the local police to ensure the road safety of the members of the Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) in Pampanga and those coming from other provinces in Central and Northern Luzon who will attend their centennial celebration. Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'
- More Local News
The last remaining defendants in a Wichita Falls gang injunction case are finally enjoined after 30th District Judge Bob Brotherton signs off on the order on Thursday afternoon. Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'
- Patience Jonathan sues for peace at Ramadan
Wife of the President, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, on Saturday enjoined Muslim women across Africa and especially those in Nigeria to reflect on new ways to spread the culture of sustainable peace and harmonious coexistence in their communities.Mrs. Jonathan made the call in her Ramadan message made available to journalists by her spokesperson, Mrs. Ayotunde Adesugba. Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'