Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Enjoined'
- Enjoin \En*join"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Enjoined; p. pr. & vb.
n. Enjoining.] [F. enjoindre, L. injungere to join into,
charge, enjoin; in + jungere to join. See Join, and cf.
- To lay upon, as an order or command; to give an injunction to; to direct with authority; to order; to charge. High matter thou enjoin'st me. --Milton. I am enjoined by oath to observe three things. --Shak.
- (Law) To prohibit or restrain by a judicial order or decree; to put an injunction on. This is a suit to enjoin the defendants from disturbing the plaintiffs. --Kent. Note: Enjoin has the force of pressing admonition with authority; as, a parent enjoins on his children the duty of obedience. But it has also the sense of command; as, the duties enjoined by God in the moral law. ``This word is more authoritative than direct, and less imperious than command.'' --Johnson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Enjoined'
An injunction is an equitable remedy in the form of a court order that requires a party to do, or to refrain from doing, certain acts. A party that fails to comply with an injunction faces criminal or civil penalties and may have to pay damages or accept sanctions. In some cases, breaches of injunctions are considered serious criminal offenses that merit arrest and possible prison sentences.
This injunctive power to restore the status quo ante; that is, to make whole again someone whose rights have been violated, is essential to the concept of fairness (equity). For example, money damages would be of scant benefit to a land owner who wished simply to prevent someone from repeatedly trespassing on his land.
These are some common reasons for injunctions:
A gag order is an order by a court or government restricting information or comment from being made public.[See more about Enjoined at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Enjoined'
Enjoined Sample Sentences in News
- SC issues TRO on firearms regulation act
Baguio City – The Supreme Court has enjoined the Philippine National Police (PNP) from implementing a law that centralizes all firearms applications and renewals at PNP headquarters in Camp Crame and allows police officers to enter residence and dwelling of licensed gun owners for inspection. In a news conference, SC spokesman Theodore Te said the SC has issued Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'
- Zambo joins Earth Hour
ZAMBOANGA City Vice-Mayor Cesar Iturralde enjoined everyone to make a commitment to Mother Nature, one that will go beyond the 60 minutes of the observance of Earth Hour. “We cannot save the world overnight, much less in just one hour. But we can begin that fight tonight. As individuals, we can contribute in the global movement to fight for our future and our ch Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'
- Today in History: April 22, 2014
In 1914: Nearly every “dry” district in Shasta County would be represented by an enjoined liquor seller, if the rate of violations was maintained. The latest violator was Alex Hansen, merchant of Round Mountain, who came to Redding to confess judgment in anticipation of his arrest. Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'