Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Enjoined'
- Enjoin \En*join"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Enjoined; p. pr. & vb.
n. Enjoining.] [F. enjoindre, L. injungere to join into,
charge, enjoin; in + jungere to join. See Join, and cf.
- To lay upon, as an order or command; to give an injunction to; to direct with authority; to order; to charge. High matter thou enjoin'st me. --Milton. I am enjoined by oath to observe three things. --Shak.
- (Law) To prohibit or restrain by a judicial order or decree; to put an injunction on. This is a suit to enjoin the defendants from disturbing the plaintiffs. --Kent. Note: Enjoin has the force of pressing admonition with authority; as, a parent enjoins on his children the duty of obedience. But it has also the sense of command; as, the duties enjoined by God in the moral law. ``This word is more authoritative than direct, and less imperious than command.'' --Johnson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Enjoined'
An injunction is an equitable remedy in the form of a court order that requires a party to do, or to refrain from doing, certain acts. A party that fails to comply with an injunction faces criminal or civil penalties and may have to pay damages or accept sanctions. In some cases, breaches of injunctions are considered serious criminal offenses that merit arrest and possible prison sentences.
This injunctive power to restore the status quo ante; that is, to make whole again someone whose rights have been violated, is essential to the concept of fairness (equity). For example, money damages would be of scant benefit to a land owner who wished simply to prevent someone from repeatedly trespassing on his land.
These are some common reasons for injunctions:
A gag order is an order by a court or government restricting information or comment from being made public.[See more about Enjoined at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Enjoined'
Enjoined Sample Sentences in News
- Lent: Northern govs ask for Christiansâ€™ prayer
The Northern States Governorsâ€™ Forum has enjoined Christian faithful to use the Lenten season, which began on Wednesday to pray for solutions to the socio-economic and security challenges confronting the nation. Chairman of the forum, Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu, made the call on Thursday in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Danladi Ndayebo....Â Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'
- P3.9B rehab funds up for electric coops
ELECTRIC cooperatives in Yolanda-stricken areas in the Visayas are enjoined to apply for rehabilitation funds at the National Electrification Administration (NEA). President Benigno... Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'
- Mitch Albom taps fellow authors JK Rowling, John Grisham, Stephen King for Yolanda recovery efforts
Mitch Albom has enjoined fellow authors to support his school-rebuilding project, among them Stephen King, Amy Tan, John Grisham, and Scott Turow who already agreed to help. Read more on this news related to 'Enjoined'