Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Engraved'
adj : cut or impressed into a surface; "an incised design";
"engraved invitations" [syn: etched, graven, incised,
- Engrave \En*grave"\, v. t. [imp. Engraved; p. p. Engraved or
Engraven; p. pr. & vb. n. Engraving.] [Pref. en- + grave
to carve: cf. OF. engraver.]
- To cut in; to make by incision. [Obs.] Full many wounds in his corrupted flesh He did engrave. --Spenser.
- To cut with a graving instrument in order to form an inscription or pictorial representation; to carve figures; to mark with incisions. Like . . . . a signet thou engrave the two stones with the names of the children of Israel. --Ex. xxviii. 11.
- To form or represent by means of incisions upon wood, stone, metal, or the like; as, to engrave an inscription.
- To impress deeply; to infix, as if with a graver. Engrave principles in men's minds. --Locke.
- Engraved \En*graved"\, a.
- Made by engraving or ornamented with engraving.
- (Zo["o]l.) Having the surface covered with irregular, impressed lines.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Engraved'
Engraving is the practice of incising a design on to a hard, usually flat surface, by cutting grooves into it. The result may be a decorated object in itself, as when silver, gold, steel, or glass are engraved, or may provide an intaglio printing plate, of copper or another metal, for printing images on paper as prints or illustrations; these images are also called engravings.
Engraving was a historically important method of producing images on paper, both in artistic printmaking, and also for commercial reproductions and illustrations for books and magazines. It has long been replaced by photography in its commercial applications and, partly because of the difficulty of learning the technique, is much less common in printmaking, where it has been largely replaced by etching and other techniques.[See more about Engraved at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Engraved'
'Engraved' in famous quotation sentence
* Genius is a bend in the creek where bright water has gathered, and which mirrors the trees, the sky and the banks. It just does that because it is there and the scenery is there. Talent is a fine mirror with a silver frame, with the name of the owner engraved on the back. - Edgar Lee Masters
* I would like to have engraved inside every wedding band 'Be kind to one another.' This is the Golden Rule of Marriage and the secret of making love last through the years. - Randolph Ray
Click here for more related quotations on 'Engraved'
Engraved Sample Sentences in News
- Saint Patrick's Day Jewelry Gifts & Engraved Irish Celtic Rings by Tungsten World
The online jewelry retailer’s website is decked out in four leaf clovers and Celtic-inspired jewelry and accessories in preparation for St. Patrick’s Day. (PRWeb March 11, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/St-Patricks-Irish-Rings/Celtic-Jewerly-Specials/prweb11656225.htm Read more on this news related to 'Engraved'
- LogoTags Adds Custom Laser Engraved Dog Tags to Product Line
LogoTags, the world leader in custom dog tags, has added high quality custom laser engraved dog tags to its family of custom promotional products. These dog tags are available in a variety of colors and include a complimentary USA-made ball chain necklace with every tag. (PRWeb March 11, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/custom-dog-tags/la Read more on this news related to 'Engraved'
- How to Recognise Employees and Colleagues with Personalised Trophies and Awards from Robert Chapman Presentations
At a recent Civic Awards ceremony, great enthusiasm and anticipation filled the events room, with nominees and special guests congregating, dressed up smartly awaiting the 'results'. An important event for people who have given more than most for the benefit of the community, no one could be in doubt of the hugely positive effect of receiving an engraved a Read more on this news related to 'Engraved'