Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Endorsement'
Endorsement Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a promotional statement (as found on the dust jackets of books); "the author got all his friends to write blurbs for his book" [syn: indorsement, blurb]
- a speech seconding a motion; "do I hear a second?" [syn: second, secondment, indorsement]
- formal and explicit approval; "a Democrat usually gets the union's endorsement" [syn: sanction, countenance, indorsement, warrant, imprimatur]
- a signature that validates something; "the cashier would not cash the check without an endorsement" [syn: indorsement]
- the act of endorsing; "a star athlete can make a lot of money from endorsements" [syn: indorsement]
- Indorsement \In*dorse"ment\, n. [From Indorse; cf.
Endorsement.] [Written also endorsement.]
- The act of writing on the back of a note, bill, or other written instrument.
- That which is written on the back of a note, bill, or other paper, as a name, an order for, or a receipt of, payment, or the return of an officer, etc.; a writing, usually upon the back, but sometimes on the face, of a negotiable instrument, by which the property therein is assigned and transferred. --Story. Byles. Burrill.
- Sanction, support, or approval; as, the indorsement of a rumor, an opinion, a course, conduct. Blank indorsement. See under Blank.
- Endorsement \En*dorse"ment\, n. [Cf. F. endossement.]
Same as Indorsement.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Endorsement'
- Endorsement: Endorsement (alternatively spelt indorsement) may refer to: ... Political endorsement a form added to an insurance policy , modifying the terms ...
- Political endorsement: Political endorsement is the action of publicly declaring one's personal or group's support of a candidate for elected office . ...
- Endorsement test: The endorsement test proposed by United States Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor in the 1984 case of Lynch v. Donnelly asks ...
- Blank endorsement: Blank endorsement of a financial instrument such as a check is only a signature , not indicating the payee . The effect of this is that ...
- List of Barack Obama presidential campaign endorsements, 2008: This is a list of prominent groups who formally endorsed or voiced support for ... Campaign endorsements: Congressional endorsements for the ...
- List of John McCain presidential campaign endorsements, 2008: John McCain , the nominee of the Republican party in the 2008 United States presidential election , has gained the endorsements of many ...
- Oprah Winfrey's endorsement of Barack Obama: Oprah Winfrey ’s endorsement of Barack Obama was one of the most widely covered and studied developments of the 2008 presidential campaign ...
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes: The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) is an independent ... After the successful endorsement of certification systems ...
Words and phrases related to 'Endorsement'
Endorsement Sample Sentences in News
- L.A. County workers union endorses Sheila Kuehl in supervisor's race
The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, the region's largest union voice, gave its official "enthusiastic" endorsement of former state lawmaker Sheila Kuehl in her campaign for Los Angeles County supervisor. The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, the region's largest union voice, gave its official "enthusiastic" endorsement of Read more on this news related to 'Endorsement'
- McIlroy’s British Open Title Makes Him Endorsement ‘Heir’
Rory McIlroy's British Open title leaves him a Masters Tournament victory away from the career grand slam and makes him "heir to the Tiger Woods endorsement throne," according to a sports marketing expert. McIlroy, 25, from Northern Ireland, held off final-round charges yesterday from Sergio Garcia and Rickie Fowler to become the third-youngest golfe Read more on this news related to 'Endorsement'
- Union's vote to endorse candidate for Jacksonville sheriff rankles some members
An effort to bring solidarity among Jacksonville police in electing a new sheriff has instead stirred discontent in the ranks and raised questions about how an endorsement last week was made. Whether it will bruise the local Fraternal Order of Police union’s impact on one of Jacksonville’s most important 2015 races is not clear, but the contest for sheriff is Read more on this news related to 'Endorsement'