Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Emporia'
Emporia Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a large retail store organized into departments offering a
variety of merchandise; commonly part of a retail chain
[syn: department store]
[also: emporia (pl)]
- Emporium \Em*po"ri*um\, n.; pl. Emporiums, L. Emporia. [L.,
fr. Gr. ?, fr. ? belonging to commerce, fr. ? traveler,
trader; ? in + ? way through and over, path. See In, and
- A place of trade; a market place; a mart; esp., a city or town with extensive commerce; the commercial center of a country. That wonderful emporium [Manchester] . . . was then a mean and ill-built market town. --Macaulay. It is pride . . . which fills our streets, our emporiums, our theathers. --Knox.
- (Physiol.) The brain. [Obs.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Emporia'
- Emporia: Emporia can be several things: Places in the United States. Emporia, Indiana Emporia, Kansas Emporia, Virginia Other uses. Emporia (ancient ...
- Emporia, Kansas: Emporia is a city in and the county seat of Lyon County , Kansas , United States . 6 The population was 26,760 at the 2000 census . ...
- Emporia, Virginia: Emporia is an independent city located within the confines of Greensville County , Virginia , United States . the city of Emporia with ...
- Emporia (ancient Greece): Emporia, sing emporion were places which the traders of one nation had reserved to their business interests within the territory of another ...
- Emporia (early medieval): The term 'emporia' (singular 'emporium') is applied to trading settlements which emerged in north-western Europe in the sixth to seventh ...
- Emporia, Indiana: Emporia is a town in Adams Township , Madison County , Indiana . Geography: Emporia is located at. 40 | 00 | 16 | N | 85 | 38 | 02 | W | city ...
- Emporia State University: Emporia State University (ESU) is a university in the city of Emporia in Lyon County , Kansas , just east of the Flint Hills . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Emporia'
Emporia Sample Sentences in News
- Trippy Mall Pushes the Limits of What Glass Can Do
The developers of Emporia, a new mixed-used development in Malm?, Sweden, wanted to attract commuters from the local train station to the combination mall, supermarket, office tower, and apartment building they planned to create. Read more on this news related to 'Emporia'
- No. 16 Wichita State crushes Emporia State 93-50
As Wichita State newcomer Darius Carter returned to the bench late in Saturday's season opener, he made sure to give coach Gregg Marshall a message. ''I told him that's by design.'' No. 16 Wichita State had little difficulty dispatching Emporia State 93-50 behind 21 points from Cleanthony Early and 17 from Ron Baker. Fred VanVleet had 12 po Read more on this news related to 'Emporia'
- Tonganoxie students receive Emporia State University scholarships
Emporia State University scholarships total more than $2.7 million for the 2013-14 academic year, benefiting more than 1,300 ESU students. Read more on this news related to 'Emporia'