Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Emphatic'
Emphatic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- spoken with emphasis; "an emphatic word" [syn: emphasized, emphasised]
- sudden and strong; "an emphatic no" [syn: exclamatory]
- forceful and definite in expression or action; "the document contained a particularly emphatic guarantee of religious liberty" [syn: forceful]
- Emphatic \Em*phat"ic\, Emphatical \Em*phat"ic*al\, a. [Gr. ?:
cf. F. emphatique. See Emphasis.]
- Uttered with emphasis; made prominent and impressive by a peculiar stress of voice; laying stress; deserving of stress or emphasis; forcible; impressive; strong; as, to remonstrate in am emphatic manner; an emphatic word; an emphatic tone; emphatic reasoning.
- Striking the sense; attracting special attention; impressive; forcible. ``Emphatical colors.'' --Boyle. ``Emphatical evils.'' --Bp. Reynolds. Syn: Forcible; earnest; impressive; energetic; striking; positive; important; special; significant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Emphatic'
- Emphatic consonant: Emphatic consonant is a term widely used in Semitic linguistics to describe one of a series of obstruent consonant s which originally ...
- Emphatic Diaglott: The Emphatic Diaglott is a diaglot, or two language polyglot translation , of the New Testament by Benjamin Wilson , first published in ...
Words and phrases related to 'Emphatic'
Emphatic Sample Sentences in News
- Soccer-Swansea ease relegation worries with emphatic derby win
Swansea City began life after Michael Laudrup with an emphatic 3-0 win over Cardiff City in a full-bloodied South Wales derby on Saturday to ease their Premier League relegation worries. Both clubs have changed managers since Cardiff beat Swansea in their first-ever top flight meeting in November, but Swansea caretaker-manager Garry Monk was far happier after his Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'
- Swansea ease relegation worries with emphatic derby win
(Reuters) - Swansea City began life after Michael Laudrup with an emphatic 3-0 win over Cardiff City in a full-bloodied South Wales derby on Saturday to ease their Premier League relegation worries. Both clubs have changed managers since Cardiff beat Swansea in their first-ever top flight meeting in November, but Swansea caretaker-manager Garry Monk was far happie Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'
- Crowborough bounce back for decisive win
CROWBOROUGH bounced back from their disappointing loss at Maidstone to record an emphatic 52-0 win over local rivals Heathfield.The previous day's rain had created a gloopy surface that was anything but conducive to running rugby.However, although the first 20 minutes were scoreless, Crowborough's determined attacks through their backs and Heathfield's Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'