Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Emphatic'
Emphatic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- spoken with emphasis; "an emphatic word" [syn: emphasized, emphasised]
- sudden and strong; "an emphatic no" [syn: exclamatory]
- forceful and definite in expression or action; "the document contained a particularly emphatic guarantee of religious liberty" [syn: forceful]
- Emphatic \Em*phat"ic\, Emphatical \Em*phat"ic*al\, a. [Gr. ?:
cf. F. emphatique. See Emphasis.]
- Uttered with emphasis; made prominent and impressive by a peculiar stress of voice; laying stress; deserving of stress or emphasis; forcible; impressive; strong; as, to remonstrate in am emphatic manner; an emphatic word; an emphatic tone; emphatic reasoning.
- Striking the sense; attracting special attention; impressive; forcible. ``Emphatical colors.'' --Boyle. ``Emphatical evils.'' --Bp. Reynolds. Syn: Forcible; earnest; impressive; energetic; striking; positive; important; special; significant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Emphatic'
- Emphatic consonant: Emphatic consonant is a term widely used in Semitic linguistics to describe one of a series of obstruent consonant s which originally ...
- Emphatic Diaglott: The Emphatic Diaglott is a diaglot, or two language polyglot translation , of the New Testament by Benjamin Wilson , first published in ...
Words and phrases related to 'Emphatic'
Emphatic Sample Sentences in News
- ITM Cup: Emphatic win for Taranaki
Taranaki has put Bay of Plenty to the sword in the ITM Cup, with an emphatic 41-3 win in New Plymouth. Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'
- Rugby League - Hull claim emphatic derby win
Hull FC produced their best performance of the season to deny fierce rivals Hull KR a piece of history and put a major dent in their play-off hopes. Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'
- Cardinals end skid with rout of Cubs in doubleheader nightcap
After watching the Chicago Cubs pound seven homers in two emphatic wins, the St. Louis Cardinals needed a stopper. Enter Marco Gonzales. Called up from Triple-A Memphis to start the nightcap of Saturday's day-night doubleheader, Gonzales worked six solid innings for his first big league win as St. Louis ended a four-game losing streak with a 13-2 rout at sold- Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'