Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Emphatic'
Emphatic Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- spoken with emphasis; "an emphatic word" [syn: emphasized, emphasised]
- sudden and strong; "an emphatic no" [syn: exclamatory]
- forceful and definite in expression or action; "the document contained a particularly emphatic guarantee of religious liberty" [syn: forceful]
- Emphatic \Em*phat"ic\, Emphatical \Em*phat"ic*al\, a. [Gr. ?:
cf. F. emphatique. See Emphasis.]
- Uttered with emphasis; made prominent and impressive by a peculiar stress of voice; laying stress; deserving of stress or emphasis; forcible; impressive; strong; as, to remonstrate in am emphatic manner; an emphatic word; an emphatic tone; emphatic reasoning.
- Striking the sense; attracting special attention; impressive; forcible. ``Emphatical colors.'' --Boyle. ``Emphatical evils.'' --Bp. Reynolds. Syn: Forcible; earnest; impressive; energetic; striking; positive; important; special; significant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Emphatic'
- Emphatic consonant: Emphatic consonant is a term widely used in Semitic linguistics to describe one of a series of obstruent consonant s which originally ...
- Emphatic Diaglott: The Emphatic Diaglott is a diaglot, or two language polyglot translation , of the New Testament by Benjamin Wilson , first published in ...
Words and phrases related to 'Emphatic'
Emphatic Sample Sentences in News
- Fast starts sets up Magpie win
An emphatic eight goal opening quarter by Busselton set up a comfortable 14.14 (98) to 6.6 (42) victory over the Harvey Bulls at Sir Stewart Bovell Park on Saturday night. Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'
- Emphatic Malone save the best to last and maintain 1B status
Though clearly delighted that his side had emphatically secured their place in Division 1B for another season by producing their second successive bonus point win in seeing off Corinthians 52-18, at a sun-kissed Gibson Park, coach Jacques Benade was already looking ahead to next season’s task. Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'
- DeRozan throws down lefty dunk vs. Brooklyn
Raptors guard DeMar DeRozan threw down an emphatic left-handed dunk during Game 2 against the Nets on Tuesday. Ben Golliver and Rob Mahoney bring you The Point Forward, SI.com's blog for all things NBA. Have a story idea or feedback? Read more on this news related to 'Emphatic'