Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Emissary'
Emissary Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : someone sent on a mission to represent the interests of
someone else [syn: envoy]
- Emissary \Em"is*sa*ry\, n.; pl. Emissaries. [L. emissarius,
fr. emittere, emissum, to send out: cf. F. ['e]missaire. See
An agent employed to advance, in a covert manner, the
interests of his employers; one sent out by any power that is
at war with another, to create dissatisfaction among the
people of the latter.
Buzzing emissaries fill the ears Of listening crowds
with jealousies and fears. --Dryden.
Syn: Emissary, Spy.
Usage: A spy is one who enters an enemy's camp or territories
to learn the condition of the enemy; an emissary may
be a secret agent appointed not only to detect the
schemes of an opposing party, but to influence their
councils. A spy must be concealed, or he suffers
death; an emissary may in some cases be known as the
agent of an adversary without incurring similar
- Emissary \Em"is*sa*ry\, a.
- Exploring; spying. --B. Jonson.
- (Anat.) Applied to the veins which pass out of the cranium through apertures in its walls.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Emissary'
- Emissary: Emissary may refer to: Ambassador Diplomat The Subspace Emissary , the single player Adventure mode in the video game Super Smash Bros. ...
- Emissary (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): "Emissary" is the pilot episode of the television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine . It is a double-length episode, and is usually ...
- Emissary (hydraulics): An emissary (Latin emissarium, from ex and mittere, to send out) is a channel, natural or artificial, by which an outlet is formed to carry ...
- Emissary (comics): Emissary is a fictional superhero published by Image Comics . Created by Jim Valentino , he first appeared in Emissary 1, (May 2006 ). ...
- The Emissary: "The Emissary" is an episode from the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation . It is not to be confused with "Emissary ", the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Emissary'
Emissary Sample Sentences in News
- Crimea base standoff sheds light on wider conflict: Nahlah Ayed
When a gutsy Ukrainian commander and a Russian emissary came face to face outside the Belbek airbase on Friday, their remarkable exchange gave witnesses rare insight into the thinking behind the wider international standoff. Now the Ukrainian's whereabouts are unknown. Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'
- Ukrainian colonel and Russian emissary face off at Crimea base: Nahlah Ayed
When a gutsy Ukrainian commander and a Russian emissary came face to face outside the Belbek airbase, their remarkable exchange gave witnesses rare insight into the thinking behind the wider international standoff. Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'
- Apparently, Lancome loves Lupita as much as we do
Citizens of the beauty world, behold the eminent emissary of contemporary classiness and charm, the queen of the new age, the princess of poise ... In an appointment that's one for the beauty books, our imaginary best friend Lupita Nyong'o has inked a doubtlessly lucrative deal to be the very first black ambassador for Lancôme. The 31-year-old Kenyan-Mexi Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'