Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Emissary'
Emissary Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : someone sent on a mission to represent the interests of
someone else [syn: envoy]
- Emissary \Em"is*sa*ry\, n.; pl. Emissaries. [L. emissarius,
fr. emittere, emissum, to send out: cf. F. ['e]missaire. See
An agent employed to advance, in a covert manner, the
interests of his employers; one sent out by any power that is
at war with another, to create dissatisfaction among the
people of the latter.
Buzzing emissaries fill the ears Of listening crowds
with jealousies and fears. --Dryden.
Syn: Emissary, Spy.
Usage: A spy is one who enters an enemy's camp or territories
to learn the condition of the enemy; an emissary may
be a secret agent appointed not only to detect the
schemes of an opposing party, but to influence their
councils. A spy must be concealed, or he suffers
death; an emissary may in some cases be known as the
agent of an adversary without incurring similar
- Emissary \Em"is*sa*ry\, a.
- Exploring; spying. --B. Jonson.
- (Anat.) Applied to the veins which pass out of the cranium through apertures in its walls.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Emissary'
- Emissary: Emissary may refer to: Ambassador Diplomat The Subspace Emissary , the single player Adventure mode in the video game Super Smash Bros. ...
- Emissary (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): "Emissary" is the pilot episode of the television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine . It is a double-length episode, and is usually ...
- Emissary (hydraulics): An emissary (Latin emissarium, from ex and mittere, to send out) is a channel, natural or artificial, by which an outlet is formed to carry ...
- Emissary (comics): Emissary is a fictional superhero published by Image Comics . Created by Jim Valentino , he first appeared in Emissary 1, (May 2006 ). ...
- The Emissary: "The Emissary" is an episode from the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation . It is not to be confused with "Emissary ", the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Emissary'
Emissary Sample Sentences in News
- ACWA Presents Emissary Award to Marion Ashley
The Association of California Water Agencies today presented its eighth annual Emissary Award to Marion Ashley, a longtime water leader known for promoting collaborative solutions. Presented at ACWA's ... Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'
- Caretaker issue not on UN emissary's agenda: Hasina's aide
Dhaka, Dec 8 (IANS) Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's advisor Gowher Rizvi said Saturday that the visiting UN emissary will not discuss the caretaker government issue while trying to broker peace between the Awami League and BNP, local media reported. There is no need to discuss the caretaker government. The caretaker government issue has been at the c Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'
- UN emissary on visit to Dhaka to resolve political crisis
Dhaka, Dec 7 : UN Assistant Secretary General Oscar Fernandez-Taranco has arrived here in an apparent last-ditch effort to broker a deal between Bangladesh's ruling Awami League (AL) party and the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) over the issue of conducting Jan 5 parliamentary polls. Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'