Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Emissary'
Emissary Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : someone sent on a mission to represent the interests of
someone else [syn: envoy]
- Emissary \Em"is*sa*ry\, n.; pl. Emissaries. [L. emissarius,
fr. emittere, emissum, to send out: cf. F. ['e]missaire. See
An agent employed to advance, in a covert manner, the
interests of his employers; one sent out by any power that is
at war with another, to create dissatisfaction among the
people of the latter.
Buzzing emissaries fill the ears Of listening crowds
with jealousies and fears. --Dryden.
Syn: Emissary, Spy.
Usage: A spy is one who enters an enemy's camp or territories
to learn the condition of the enemy; an emissary may
be a secret agent appointed not only to detect the
schemes of an opposing party, but to influence their
councils. A spy must be concealed, or he suffers
death; an emissary may in some cases be known as the
agent of an adversary without incurring similar
- Emissary \Em"is*sa*ry\, a.
- Exploring; spying. --B. Jonson.
- (Anat.) Applied to the veins which pass out of the cranium through apertures in its walls.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Emissary'
- Emissary: Emissary may refer to: Ambassador Diplomat The Subspace Emissary , the single player Adventure mode in the video game Super Smash Bros. ...
- Emissary (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine): "Emissary" is the pilot episode of the television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine . It is a double-length episode, and is usually ...
- Emissary (hydraulics): An emissary (Latin emissarium, from ex and mittere, to send out) is a channel, natural or artificial, by which an outlet is formed to carry ...
- Emissary (comics): Emissary is a fictional superhero published by Image Comics . Created by Jim Valentino , he first appeared in Emissary 1, (May 2006 ). ...
- The Emissary: "The Emissary" is an episode from the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation . It is not to be confused with "Emissary ", the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Emissary'
Emissary Sample Sentences in News
- Al-Qaida emissary killed in suicide bombing in Syria
ALEPPO, Syria, Feb. 24 (UPI) -- Al-Qaida's top emissary in Syria was killed in a suicide bombing after he was asked to mediate between the country's two main al-Qaida groups, officials said. Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'
- Sheets Shifts to Lew’s Frontman From Bernanke Emissary Role
Nathan Sheets, the Federal Reserve’s behind-the-scenes international emissary during the global financial crisis, is returning to the fray as Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew’s frontman on the world economic stage. Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'
- Al-Qaida emissary killed in suicide bombing in Syria - Middle East Times
Al-Qaida's top emissary in Syria was killed in a suicide bombing after he was asked to mediate between the country's two main al-Qaida groups, officials said. Read more on this news related to 'Emissary'