Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Elliptical'
- containing or characterized by ellipsis; "the clause of comparison is often elliptical"- G.O.Curme [syn: elliptic]
- rounded like an egg [syn: egg-shaped, elliptic, oval, ovate, oviform, ovoid, prolate]
- characterized by extreme economy of expression or omission of superfluous elements; "the dialogue is elliptic and full of dark hints"; "the explanation was concise, even elliptical to the verge of obscurity"- H.O.Taylor [syn: elliptic]
- Elliptic \El*lip"tic\, Elliptical \El*lip"tic*al\, a. [Gr. ?:
cf. F. elliptique. See Ellipsis.]
- Of or pertaining to an ellipse; having the form of an ellipse; oblong, with rounded ends. The planets move in elliptic orbits. --Cheyne.
- Having a part omitted; as, an elliptical phrase. Elliptic chuck. See under Chuck. Elliptic compasses, an instrument arranged for drawing ellipses. Elliptic function. (Math.) See Function. Elliptic integral. (Math.) See Integral. Elliptic polarization. See under Polarization.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Elliptical'
In geometry, an ellipse (from Greek ἔλλειψις elleipsis, a "falling short") is a plane curve that results from the intersection of a cone by a plane in a way that produces a closed curve. Circles are special cases of ellipses, obtained when the cutting plane is orthogonal to the cone's axis. An ellipse is also the locus of all points of the plane whose distances to two fixed points add to the same constant.
Ellipses are closed curves and are the bounded case of the conic sections, the curves that result from the intersection of a circular cone and a plane that does not pass through its apex; the other two (open and unbounded) cases are parabolas and hyperbolas. Ellipses also arise as images of a circle under parallel projection and the bounded cases of perspective projection, which are simply intersections of the projective cone with the plane of projection. In it is also the simplest Lissajous figure, formed when the horizontal and vertical motions are sinusoids with the same frequency.[See more about Elliptical at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Elliptical'
Elliptical Sample Sentences in News
- Gear • Affordable elliptical machine
What • An elliptical exercise machine that’s of good quality, but is a lower price because it’s not quite up to the machines found in gyms. Read more on this news related to 'Elliptical'
- Avoid These Elliptical Workout 'No-Nos'
When I am doing my workouts, there is no way I'd be able to leisurely watch TV for an hour! If working out this hard doesn't sound appealing to you, maybe this next bit will. Read more on this news related to 'Elliptical'
- Treadmill Doctor Announces 2014 Treadmill and Elliptical Reviews
Memphis, Tennessee-based Treadmill Doctor, a fitness equipment company specializing in treadmill parts and elliptical parts, has published their annual treadmill and elliptical product reviews for consumers. (PRWeb December 10, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/12/prweb11405471.htm Read more on this news related to 'Elliptical'