Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Elephant'
- five-toed pachyderm
- the symbol of the Republican Party; introduced in cartoons by Thomas Nast in 1874
- Elephant \El"e*phant\, n. [OE. elefaunt, olifant, OF. olifant,
F. ['e]l['e]phant, L. elephantus, elephas, -antis, fr. Gr. ?,
?; of unknown origin; perh. fr. Skr. ibha, with the Semitic
article al, el, prefixed, or fr. Semitic Aleph hindi Indian
bull; or cf. Goth. ulbandus camel, AS. olfend.]
- (Zo["o]l.) A mammal of the order Proboscidia, of which two living species, Elephas Indicus and E. Africanus, and several fossil species, are known. They have a proboscis or trunk, and two large ivory tusks proceeding from the extremity of the upper jaw, and curving upwards. The molar teeth are large and have transverse folds. Elephants are the largest land animals now existing.
- Ivory; the tusk of the elephant. [Obs.] --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Elephant'
Elephants are large land mammals in two genera of the family Elephantidae: Elephas and Loxodonta. Three species of elephant are living today: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant and the Asian elephant (also known as the Indian elephant). All other species and genera of Elephantidae are extinct, some since the last ice age although dwarf forms of mammoths may have survived as late as 2,000 BCE. Elephants and other Elephantidae were once classified with other thick-skinned animals in a now invalid order, Pachydermata.
Elephants are the largest land animals now living.
Elephants are a symbol of wisdom in Asian cultures and are famed for their memory and intelligence, where they are thought to be on par with cetaceans
According to observations, healthy adult elephants have no natural predators, They are, however, threatened by human intrusion and poaching.[See more about Elephant at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Elephant'
'Elephant' in famous quotation sentence
* Gabriel Have you ever heard of Harry Houdini Well he wasn't like today's magicians who are only interested in television ratings. He was an artist. He could make an elephant disappear in the middle of a theater filled with people, and do you know how he did that Misdirection. - Swordfish
* When an elephant is in trouble even a frog will kick him. - Hindustani Proverb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Elephant'
Elephant Sample Sentences in News
- Elephant Auto Insurance has Joined the Comparenow.com Panel of Carriers
RICHMOND, Va. -- via PRWEB - Comparenow.com is pleased to announce that Elephant Auto Insurance has recently joined their panel of auto insurance company partners. As a direct-to-consumer brand, Elephant ... Read more on this news related to 'Elephant'
- Ashlee's elephant rescue adventure
RIDING an elephant during your Asian holiday might seem like fun, but at what cost? Read more on this news related to 'Elephant'
- Elephant Butte Lake boasts higher water levels for spring break
EL PASO, Texas â The Elephant Butte Lake is four times more full than it was in July 2013, making it a great destination for spring breakers. State Park officials are excited to announce that the lake is at 333,000 acre feet, which makes for ideal conditions to go boating, paddle boarding, jet skiing, camping and fishing. ... Read more on this news related to 'Elephant'