Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Elephant'
- five-toed pachyderm
- the symbol of the Republican Party; introduced in cartoons by Thomas Nast in 1874
- Elephant \El"e*phant\, n. [OE. elefaunt, olifant, OF. olifant,
F. ['e]l['e]phant, L. elephantus, elephas, -antis, fr. Gr. ?,
?; of unknown origin; perh. fr. Skr. ibha, with the Semitic
article al, el, prefixed, or fr. Semitic Aleph hindi Indian
bull; or cf. Goth. ulbandus camel, AS. olfend.]
- (Zo["o]l.) A mammal of the order Proboscidia, of which two living species, Elephas Indicus and E. Africanus, and several fossil species, are known. They have a proboscis or trunk, and two large ivory tusks proceeding from the extremity of the upper jaw, and curving upwards. The molar teeth are large and have transverse folds. Elephants are the largest land animals now existing.
- Ivory; the tusk of the elephant. [Obs.] --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Elephant'
Elephants are large land mammals in two genera of the family Elephantidae: Elephas and Loxodonta. Three species of elephant are living today: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant and the Asian elephant (also known as the Indian elephant). All other species and genera of Elephantidae are extinct, some since the last ice age although dwarf forms of mammoths may have survived as late as 2,000 BCE. Elephants and other Elephantidae were once classified with other thick-skinned animals in a now invalid order, Pachydermata.
Elephants are the largest land animals now living.
Elephants are a symbol of wisdom in Asian cultures and are famed for their memory and intelligence, where they are thought to be on par with cetaceans
According to observations, healthy adult elephants have no natural predators, They are, however, threatened by human intrusion and poaching.[See more about Elephant at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Elephant'
'Elephant' in famous quotation sentence
* Gabriel Have you ever heard of Harry Houdini Well he wasn't like today's magicians who are only interested in television ratings. He was an artist. He could make an elephant disappear in the middle of a theater filled with people, and do you know how he did that Misdirection. - Swordfish
* When an elephant is in trouble even a frog will kick him. - Hindustani Proverb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Elephant'
Elephant Sample Sentences in News
- National Zoo welcomes Bozie the elephant
Baton Rouge elephant is transported by truck to her new home at the National Zoo. Read more on this news related to 'Elephant'
- Elephant meat seized in Los Angeles
Elephant meat seized: US Customs has seized elephant meat, a dead macaque primate from Indonesia, and 387 handbags made from pythons, monitor lizards, dwarf crocodiles, cobras and puff adder snakes. Read more on this news related to 'Elephant'
- Elephant calf Priya debuts at Saint Louis Zoo
Baby elephant Priya is ready to meet her St. Louis family starting Wednesday. Visitors will be able to view the mother and calf time from 10 a.m. to noon and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Read more on this news related to 'Elephant'