Elbow Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- hinge joint between the forearm and upper arm and the corresponding joint in the forelimb of a quadruped [syn: elbow joint, cubitus, cubital joint, articulatio cubiti}]
- a sharp bend in a road or river
- a length of pipe with a sharp bend in it
- the part of a sleeve that covers the elbow; "his coat had patches over the elbows"
- the joint of a mammal or bird that corresponds to the human elbow v
- push one's way with the elbows
- shove one's elbow into another person's ribs
- Elbow \El"bow\, n. [AS. elboga, elnboga (akin to D. elleboga,
OHG. elinbogo, G. ellbogen, ellenbogen, Icel. ?lnbogi; prop.;
arm-bend); eln ell (orig., forearm) + boga a bending. See 1st
Ell, and 4th Bow.]
- The joint or bend of the arm; the outer curve in the middle of the arm when bent. Her arms to the elbows naked. --R. of Gloucester.
- Any turn or bend like that of the elbow, in a wall, building, and the like; a sudden turn in a line of coast or course of a river; also, an angular or jointed part of any structure, as the raised arm of a chair or sofa, or a short pipe fitting, turning at an angle or bent.
- (Arch.) A sharp angle in any surface of wainscoting or other woodwork; the upright sides which flank any paneled work, as the sides of windows, where the jamb makes an elbow with the window back. --Gwilt. Note: Elbow is used adjectively or as part of a compound, to denote something shaped like, or acting like, an elbow; as, elbow joint; elbow tongs or elbow-tongs; elbowroom, elbow-room, or elbow room. At the elbow, very near; at hand. Elbow grease, energetic application of force in manual labor. [Low] Elbow in the hawse (Naut.), the twisting together of two cables by which a vessel rides at anchor, caused by swinging completely round once. --Totten. Elbow scissors (Surg.), scissors bent in the blade or shank for convenience in cutting. --Knight. Out at elbow, with coat worn through at the elbows; shabby; in needy circumstances.
- Elbow \El"bow\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Elbowed; p. pr. & vb. n.
To push or hit with the elbow, as when one pushes by another.
They [the Dutch] would elbow our own aldermen off the
Royal Exchange. --Macaulay.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Elbow'?
Elbow Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The elbow is a hinge-joint between the bones of the upper and lower arm. It joins the humerus of the upper arm and the radius and ulna of the forearm together. Everyone has 2 elbows. It allows the lower arm to be extended or retracted (moved in). The elbow also allows the arm to turn. It moves by using three ligaments: the anterior, posterior, ulnar collateral and radial collateral ligaments.[See more about Elbow at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Elbow'
Elbow Sample Sentences in News
- Nats Journal: Nationals remain unconcerned about Doug Fister’s inflamed elbow
Manager Matt Williams again says the team is not concerned about the right-hander's barking right elbow. Read more on this news related to 'Elbow'
- Guy Garvey interview: 'I still think wistfully about my hedonistic years'
The Elbow frontman recently split from his partner of 10 years, and this week he'll turn 40. So can we expect the band's new album to be a dark night of the soul? He opens up about ageing, rejecting normality, and why music will always be his true love Guy Garvey, lead singer of Elbow , doesn't look like a lead singer, in his shirt and V-neck and nice Read more on this news related to 'Elbow'
- Sports in Brief: Dr. Frank Jobe, inventor of elbow surgery, dies at 88
Frank Jobe, the sports medicine pioneer who invented an elbow procedure that became known as Tommy John surgery, died Thursday. He was 88. Read more on this news related to 'Elbow'