Elbow Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- hinge joint between the forearm and upper arm and the corresponding joint in the forelimb of a quadruped [syn: elbow joint, cubitus, cubital joint, articulatio cubiti}]
- a sharp bend in a road or river
- a length of pipe with a sharp bend in it
- the part of a sleeve that covers the elbow; "his coat had patches over the elbows"
- the joint of a mammal or bird that corresponds to the human elbow v
- push one's way with the elbows
- shove one's elbow into another person's ribs
- Elbow \El"bow\, n. [AS. elboga, elnboga (akin to D. elleboga,
OHG. elinbogo, G. ellbogen, ellenbogen, Icel. ?lnbogi; prop.;
arm-bend); eln ell (orig., forearm) + boga a bending. See 1st
Ell, and 4th Bow.]
- The joint or bend of the arm; the outer curve in the middle of the arm when bent. Her arms to the elbows naked. --R. of Gloucester.
- Any turn or bend like that of the elbow, in a wall, building, and the like; a sudden turn in a line of coast or course of a river; also, an angular or jointed part of any structure, as the raised arm of a chair or sofa, or a short pipe fitting, turning at an angle or bent.
- (Arch.) A sharp angle in any surface of wainscoting or other woodwork; the upright sides which flank any paneled work, as the sides of windows, where the jamb makes an elbow with the window back. --Gwilt. Note: Elbow is used adjectively or as part of a compound, to denote something shaped like, or acting like, an elbow; as, elbow joint; elbow tongs or elbow-tongs; elbowroom, elbow-room, or elbow room. At the elbow, very near; at hand. Elbow grease, energetic application of force in manual labor. [Low] Elbow in the hawse (Naut.), the twisting together of two cables by which a vessel rides at anchor, caused by swinging completely round once. --Totten. Elbow scissors (Surg.), scissors bent in the blade or shank for convenience in cutting. --Knight. Out at elbow, with coat worn through at the elbows; shabby; in needy circumstances.
- Elbow \El"bow\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Elbowed; p. pr. & vb. n.
To push or hit with the elbow, as when one pushes by another.
They [the Dutch] would elbow our own aldermen off the
Royal Exchange. --Macaulay.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Elbow'?
Elbow Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The elbow is a hinge-joint between the bones of the upper and lower arm. It joins the humerus of the upper arm and the radius and ulna of the forearm together. Everyone has 2 elbows. It allows the lower arm to be extended or retracted (moved in). The elbow also allows the arm to turn. It moves by using three ligaments: the anterior, posterior, ulnar collateral and radial collateral ligaments.[See more about Elbow at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Elbow'