Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Effort'
- earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something; "made an effort to cover all the reading material"; "wished him luck in his endeavor"; "she gave it a good try" [syn: attempt, endeavor, endeavour, try]
- use of physical or mental energy; hard work; "he got an A for effort"; "they managed only with great exertion" [syn: elbow grease, exertion, travail, sweat]
- a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end; "he supported populist campaigns"; "they worked in the cause of world peace"; "the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant"; "the movement to end slavery"; "contributed to the war effort" [syn: campaign, cause, crusade, drive, movement]
- a notable achievement; "he performed a great deed"; "the book was her finest effort" [syn: deed, feat, exploit]
- Effort \Ef"fort\, v. t.
To stimulate. [Obs.] ``He efforted his spirits.'' --Fuller.
- Effort \Ef"fort\, n. [F. effort, OF. esfort, for esfors, esforz,
fr. esforcier. See Efforce.]
- An exertion of strength or power, whether physical or mental, in performing an act or aiming at an object; more or less strenuous endeavor; struggle directed to the accomplishment of an object; as, an effort to scale a wall. We prize the stronger effort of his power. --Pope.
- (Mech.) A force acting on a body in the direction of its
Syn: Endeavor; exertion; struggle; strain; straining;
attempt; trial; essay. See Attempt.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Effort'
In physics, energy (from Greek ἐνέργεια - energeia, "activity, operation", from ἐνεργός - energos, "active, working") is a quantity that is often understood as the ability to perform work. This quantity can be assigned to any particle, object, or system of objects as a consequence of its physical state.
Different forms of energy include kinetic, potential, thermal, gravitational, sound, elastic and electromagnetic energy. The forms of energy are often named after a related force. German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz established that all forms of energy are equivalent — energy in one form can disappear but the same amount of energy will appear in another form. A restatement of this idea is that energy is subject to a conservation law over time.
Any form of energy can be transformed into another form. When energy is in a form other than thermal energy, it may be transformed with good or even perfect efficiency, to any other type of energy. With thermal energy, however, there are often limits to the efficiency of the conversion to other forms of energy, due to the second law of thermodynamics. As an example, when oil reacts with oxygen, potential energy is released, since new chemical bonds are formed in the products which are more stable than those in the oil and oxygen. The released energy resulting from this process may be converted directly to electricity (as in a fuel cell) with good efficiency. Alternately it may be converted into thermal energy if the oil is simply burned. In the latter case, however, some of the thermal energy can no longer be used to perform work at that temperature, and is said to be "degraded." As such, it exists in a form unavailable for further transformation. The remainder of the thermal energy may be used to produce any other type of energy, such as electricity.[See more about Effort at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Effort'
'Effort' in famous quotation sentence
* Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven. - Rabindranath Tagore
* Realize that true happiness lies within you. Waste no time and effort searching for peace and contentment and joy in the world outside. Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving. Reach out. Share. Smile. Hug. Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself. - Og Mandino
Click here for more related quotations on 'Effort'
Effort Sample Sentences in News
- Effort to build gay marriage support heads South
ATLANTA (AP) — Less than two weeks after a federal judge declared Virginia's ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional, a new effort has been launched in the South seeking to build wider acceptance of gay and lesbian couples in the hope of overturning similar bans across the region. Read more on this news related to 'Effort'
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Reading
97 Jordan Obita has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the goal. 96 The final whistle goes and the game is over. 96 The ball is crossed by Hal Robson-Kanu. Read more on this news related to 'Effort'
- Get the Best Grades With the Least Amount of Effort Review | Discover Tips to Get Better Grades – Vinamy
Get The Best Grades With The Least Amount Of Effort made by Marc Dussault is the latest program that teaches learners how to boost their marks and relieve their study anxiety. A full review on the site Vinamy.com indicates if it is worth buying. (PRWeb March 09, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/get-the-best-grades-with/the-least-amount/pr Read more on this news related to 'Effort'