Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Effacing'
- Efface \Ef*face"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Effaced; p. pr. & vb.
n. Effacing.] [F. effacer; pref. es- (L. ex) + face face;
prop., to destroy the face or form. See Face, and cf.
- To cause to disappear (as anything impresses or inscribed upon a surface) by rubbing out, striking out, etc.; to erase; to render illegible or indiscernible; as, to efface the letters on a monument, or the inscription on a coin.
- To destroy, as a mental impression; to wear away. Efface from his mind the theories and notions vulgarly received. --Bacon. Syn: To blot out; expunge; erase; obliterate; cancel; destroy. -- Efface, Deface. To deface is to injure or impair a figure; to efface is to rub out or destroy, so as to render invisible.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Effacing'
Effacement is the shortening, or thinning, of a tissue.
It can refer to cervical effacement. It can also refer to a process occurring in podocytes.
In histopathology, it refers to the near obliteration of a tissue, as in the normal parenchyma of tissues in the case of some cancers.[See more about Effacing at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Effacing'
Effacing Sample Sentences in News
- Ole Miss football looks to go from 'good to great'
Coach Hugh Freeze has just about mastered the self-effacing, aw-shucks attitude that has helped his Mississippi football program escape lofty expectations. There's too much talent on the Rebels' roster to avoid that now. Freeze said Friday at Ole Miss' annual media day that the goal is to compete in the Southeastern Conference Western Division. The Reb Read more on this news related to 'Effacing'
- Premiere: Zeus Cover R Kelly's 'Ignition'
Stream / download it now... Rooted in classic rock yet with an infectious, self-effacing sense of humour, Zeus caused a stir with debut album 'Say Us'. Returning to their own Ill Eagle Studios in Toronto, the band began sessions on a potential new album last year. Buoyed with confidence, Zeus have responded with some of their most mature, uplifting and eng Read more on this news related to 'Effacing'
- Modi govt plans to decriminalize attempt to commit suicide
The Centre is in the process of effacing Section 309 of IPC, under which anyone attempting to commit suicide is punishable with a jail term of up to one year and fine. Read more on this news related to 'Effacing'