Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Eddies'
- Eddy \Ed"dy\, n.; pl. Eddies. [Prob. fr. Icel. i?a; cf. Icel.
pref. i?- back, AS. ed-, OS. idug-, OHG. ita-; Goth. id-.]
- A current of air or water running back, or in a direction contrary to the main current.
- A current of water or air moving in a circular direction; a whirlpool. And smiling eddies dimpled on the main. --Dryden. Wheel through the air, in circling eddies play. --Addison. Note: Used also adjectively; as, eddy winds. --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Eddies'
In fluid dynamics, an eddy is the swirling of a fluid and the reverse current created when the fluid flows past an obstacle. The moving fluid creates a space devoid of downstream-flowing fluid on the downstream side of the object. Fluid behind the obstacle flows into the void creating a swirl of fluid on each edge of the obstacle, followed by a short reverse flow of fluid behind the obstacle flowing upstream, toward the back of the obstacle. This phenomenon is most visible behind large emergent rocks in swift-flowing rivers.
Another possible type of turbulence is the vortex. This notion is now applied to gases, which have the same properties as liquids. Here, no void is created, but only an area of lower pressure, but again, a backflow causes the gas to rotate.
Eddies are common in the ocean, and range in diameter from centimeters, to hundreds of kilometers. The smallest scale eddies may last for a matter of seconds, while the larger features may persist for months to years. Those eddies which are between about 10 and 500 km in diameter, and persist for periods of days to months are commonly referred to in oceanography as mesoscale eddies.[See more about Eddies at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Eddies'
Eddies Sample Sentences in News
- Big Rock Eddies: Are You Ready to Submit?
Big Rock Brewery Inc. is asking you to flex your creative muscles with Big Rock's annual Eddie Awards. Create a beer commercial , a full-colour print ad about Big Rock in general, or the importance of ... Read more on this news related to 'Eddies'
- Eastern Class A girls’ basketball: Edward Little gets revenge
The top-seeded Red Eddies reach the regional final with a 61-43 win over nemesis Cony. Read more on this news related to 'Eddies'
- CENTER COURT: Top-seeded Edward Little cruises past Cony
The Rams got a team-high 17 points from Hayley Quirion but couldn’t top the Red Eddies, falling 61-43 in their semifinal Wednesday. Read more on this news related to 'Eddies'