Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dupe'
Dupe Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a person who is tricked or swindled [syn: victim]
v : fool or hoax; "The immigrant was duped because he trusted
everyone"; "You can't fool me!" [syn: gull, slang, befool,
cod, fool, put on, take in, put one over, put
- Dupe \Dupe\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Duped; p. pr. & vb. n.
Duping.] [Cf. F. duper, fr. dupe. See Dupe, n.]
To deceive; to trick; to mislead by imposing on one's
credulity; to gull; as, dupe one by flattery.
Ne'er have I duped him with base counterfeits. --
- Dupe \Dupe\, n. [F., prob. from Prov. F. dupe, dube; of unknown
origin; equiv. to F. huppe hoopoe, a foolish bird, easily
caught. Cf. Armor. houp['e]rik hoopoe, a man easily deceived.
Cf. also Gull, Booby.]
One who has been deceived or who is easily deceived; a gull;
as, the dupe of a schemer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dupe'
- Dupe: Dupe is short for "duplicate". Dupe may also refer to: Someone who is deceived Duping , practice of exploiting a bug in a video game to ...
- Booby Dupes: Booby Dupes is the 84th short subject starring American slapstick comedy team the Three Stooges . The trio made a total of 190 shorts ...
- Tony Dupe: Tony Dupe is an Australian music producer and musician He performs and releases music under the name of Saddleback He has released two solo ...
- Day of the Dupes: Day of Dupes is the name given to the day in November of 1630 on which the enemies of Cardinal Richelieu mistakenly believed that they ...
- A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe: A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe (Un genio, due compari, un pollo, also known as Nobody's the Greatest) is a 1975 spaghetti western ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dupe'