Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dupe'
Dupe Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a person who is tricked or swindled [syn: victim]
v : fool or hoax; "The immigrant was duped because he trusted
everyone"; "You can't fool me!" [syn: gull, slang, befool,
cod, fool, put on, take in, put one over, put
- Dupe \Dupe\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Duped; p. pr. & vb. n.
Duping.] [Cf. F. duper, fr. dupe. See Dupe, n.]
To deceive; to trick; to mislead by imposing on one's
credulity; to gull; as, dupe one by flattery.
Ne'er have I duped him with base counterfeits. --
- Dupe \Dupe\, n. [F., prob. from Prov. F. dupe, dube; of unknown
origin; equiv. to F. huppe hoopoe, a foolish bird, easily
caught. Cf. Armor. houp['e]rik hoopoe, a man easily deceived.
Cf. also Gull, Booby.]
One who has been deceived or who is easily deceived; a gull;
as, the dupe of a schemer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dupe'
- Dupe: Dupe is short for "duplicate". Dupe may also refer to: Someone who is deceived Duping , practice of exploiting a bug in a video game to ...
- Booby Dupes: Booby Dupes is the 84th short subject starring American slapstick comedy team the Three Stooges . The trio made a total of 190 shorts ...
- Tony Dupe: Tony Dupe is an Australian music producer and musician He performs and releases music under the name of Saddleback He has released two solo ...
- Day of the Dupes: Day of Dupes is the name given to the day in November of 1630 on which the enemies of Cardinal Richelieu mistakenly believed that they ...
- A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe: A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe (Un genio, due compari, un pollo, also known as Nobody's the Greatest) is a 1975 spaghetti western ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dupe'
Dupe Sample Sentences in News
- ALDOT worker ordered to surrender passport in bond agreement
Investigators believe 31-year-old Daniel Nixon used a fake Facebook profile to pose as a high school teenager to dupe a DeKalb County teen into meeting him. Read more on this news related to 'Dupe'
- Hope man arrested for allegedly trying to dupe seniors in lottery scam
Police are again reminding the public, especially seniors, to be cautious of offers that sound too good to be true. On March 4, a local bank contacted police about a possible fraud in progress. Read more on this news related to 'Dupe'
- Le Carre defends inspiration for spy George Smiley
British author John Le Carre said Wednesday he was paying tribute to his friend and top spy John Bingham when he used him for inspiration for the character George Smiley, after accusations Bingham was hurt by the portrayal. New details have emerged recently about Bingham's glittering career at the MI5 domestic spy agency, notably in pretending to be a German a Read more on this news related to 'Dupe'