Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dupe'
Dupe Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a person who is tricked or swindled [syn: victim]
v : fool or hoax; "The immigrant was duped because he trusted
everyone"; "You can't fool me!" [syn: gull, slang, befool,
cod, fool, put on, take in, put one over, put
- Dupe \Dupe\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Duped; p. pr. & vb. n.
Duping.] [Cf. F. duper, fr. dupe. See Dupe, n.]
To deceive; to trick; to mislead by imposing on one's
credulity; to gull; as, dupe one by flattery.
Ne'er have I duped him with base counterfeits. --
- Dupe \Dupe\, n. [F., prob. from Prov. F. dupe, dube; of unknown
origin; equiv. to F. huppe hoopoe, a foolish bird, easily
caught. Cf. Armor. houp['e]rik hoopoe, a man easily deceived.
Cf. also Gull, Booby.]
One who has been deceived or who is easily deceived; a gull;
as, the dupe of a schemer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dupe'
- Dupe: Dupe is short for "duplicate". Dupe may also refer to: Someone who is deceived Duping , practice of exploiting a bug in a video game to ...
- Booby Dupes: Booby Dupes is the 84th short subject starring American slapstick comedy team the Three Stooges . The trio made a total of 190 shorts ...
- Tony Dupe: Tony Dupe is an Australian music producer and musician He performs and releases music under the name of Saddleback He has released two solo ...
- Day of the Dupes: Day of Dupes is the name given to the day in November of 1630 on which the enemies of Cardinal Richelieu mistakenly believed that they ...
- A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe: A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe (Un genio, due compari, un pollo, also known as Nobody's the Greatest) is a 1975 spaghetti western ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dupe'
Dupe Sample Sentences in News
- The Desperate, Deceptive Measures Penny Stock Scammers Use to Dupe Investors
From bribing bloggers to faking celebrity tweets, here's how they get naive, greedy, or unwitting investors to buy the hype. Read more on this news related to 'Dupe'
- Man arraigned for attempting to dupe govt
A 44-year-old man, Matonle Wahab, has been arraigned at Ikeja Magistrates’ Court, Lagos, for allegedly trying to defraud Lagos State Government of fees for Land Use Charge. His suspected accomplice, Mr. Bisi Peter, is still at large. The two counts preferred against Wahab were read before Ms. Demi Ajayi, the presiding Magistrate. The charge read,... [Read More Read more on this news related to 'Dupe'
- 'Cops' dupe two senior citizens
After a lull for nearly three months, two con men posing as cops duped two elderly women in the City, struck again on Thursday. Senior police officials suspect the duo struck twice — near Prasanna Theatre, Magadi Road, and then at Ejipura — within an hour-and-a-half of the first incident. Rajamma, 62, a resident of Rajajinagar VI Block, was on her morn Read more on this news related to 'Dupe'