Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dubious'
- fraught with uncertainty or doubt; "they were doubtful that the cord would hold"; "it was doubtful whether she would be admitted"; "dubious about agreeing to go" [syn: doubtful]
- open to doubt or suspicion; "the candidate's doubtful past"; "he has a dubious record indeed"; "what one found uncertain the other found dubious or downright false"; "it was more than dubitable whether the friend was as influential as she thought"- Karen Horney [syn: doubtful, dubitable, in question(p)]
- not convinced; "they admitted the force of my argument but remained dubious"
- Dubious \Du"bi*ous\, a. [L. dubius, dubiosus, fr. duo two. See
Two, and cf. Doubt.]
- Doubtful or not settled in opinion; being in doubt; wavering or fluctuating; undetermined. ``Dubious policy.'' --Sir T. Scott. A dubious, agitated state of mind. --Thackeray.
- Occasioning doubt; not clear, or obvious; equivocal; questionable; doubtful; as, a dubious answer. Wiping the dingy shirt with a still more dubious pocket handkerchief. --Thackeray.
- Of uncertain event or issue; as, in dubious battle. Syn: Doubtful; doubting; unsettled; undetermined; equivocal; uncertain. Cf. Doubtful.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dubious'
Doubt, a status between belief and disbelief, involves uncertainty or distrust or lack of sureness of an alleged fact, an action, a motive, or a decision. Doubt brings into question some notion of a perceived "reality", and may involve delaying or rejecting relevant action out of concerns for mistakes or faults or appropriateness. Some definitions of doubt emphasize the state in which the mind remains suspended between two contradictory propositions and unable to assent to either of them (compare paradox).
The concept of doubt covers a range of phenomena: one can characterise both deliberate questioning of uncertainties and an emotional state of indecision as "doubt".
Doubt sometimes tends to call on reason. Doubt may encourage people to hesitate before acting, and/or to apply more rigorous methods. Doubt may have particular importance as leading towards disbelief or non-acceptance.[See more about Dubious at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dubious'
Dubious Sample Sentences in News
- Arbitrary Listicles: D.C. has held the dubious...
D.C. has held the dubious honor of worst drivers in the country for six straight years, but two cities actually ranked lower on this year's Best Drivers Report from Allstate. This doesn't necessarily mean that D.C. is improving --... Read more on this news related to 'Dubious'
- B.J. (.115 in August) flirting with dubious history
NEW YORK — B.J. Upton was out of the lineup Thursday for the third time in six games, and the slumping center fielder is flirting with some dubious franchise history with his league-worst . Read more on this news related to 'Dubious'
- Rangers tie dubious record with 59th active player this season
The Texas Rangers made a smallish roster move Friday when they placed first baseman/outfielder Jim Adduci on the seven-day concussion disabled list and selected the contract of infielder-outfielder Ryan Rua from Triple-A Round Rock. When Rua appears in a game, he will be the 59th player to play for Texas this season, tying the major league record with the 2002 Ind Read more on this news related to 'Dubious'