Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dubious'
- fraught with uncertainty or doubt; "they were doubtful that the cord would hold"; "it was doubtful whether she would be admitted"; "dubious about agreeing to go" [syn: doubtful]
- open to doubt or suspicion; "the candidate's doubtful past"; "he has a dubious record indeed"; "what one found uncertain the other found dubious or downright false"; "it was more than dubitable whether the friend was as influential as she thought"- Karen Horney [syn: doubtful, dubitable, in question(p)]
- not convinced; "they admitted the force of my argument but remained dubious"
- Dubious \Du"bi*ous\, a. [L. dubius, dubiosus, fr. duo two. See
Two, and cf. Doubt.]
- Doubtful or not settled in opinion; being in doubt; wavering or fluctuating; undetermined. ``Dubious policy.'' --Sir T. Scott. A dubious, agitated state of mind. --Thackeray.
- Occasioning doubt; not clear, or obvious; equivocal; questionable; doubtful; as, a dubious answer. Wiping the dingy shirt with a still more dubious pocket handkerchief. --Thackeray.
- Of uncertain event or issue; as, in dubious battle. Syn: Doubtful; doubting; unsettled; undetermined; equivocal; uncertain. Cf. Doubtful.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dubious'
Doubt, a status between belief and disbelief, involves uncertainty or distrust or lack of sureness of an alleged fact, an action, a motive, or a decision. Doubt brings into question some notion of a perceived "reality", and may involve delaying or rejecting relevant action out of concerns for mistakes or faults or appropriateness. Some definitions of doubt emphasize the state in which the mind remains suspended between two contradictory propositions and unable to assent to either of them (compare paradox).
The concept of doubt covers a range of phenomena: one can characterise both deliberate questioning of uncertainties and an emotional state of indecision as "doubt".
Doubt sometimes tends to call on reason. Doubt may encourage people to hesitate before acting, and/or to apply more rigorous methods. Doubt may have particular importance as leading towards disbelief or non-acceptance.[See more about Dubious at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dubious'
Dubious Sample Sentences in News
- Dubious tunnel found in La Union business district
A tunnel that is suspected to be heading towards the grounds below the Philippine National Bank (PNB) and Rang-ay Bank at the central business district of this city was found by authorities on Tuesday. Mayor Pablo Ortega and operatives of the city police station here led by Superintendent Julius C. Suriben rushed to the area after a certain Raffy Belleza reported Read more on this news related to 'Dubious'
- Fraudulent research results: how common are they?
Recent cases make one wonder how much dubious research slips through the peer-review process Read more on this news related to 'Dubious'
- Recorder’s office warns of dubious letters
The Boone County Recorder’s Office is requesting residents to be cautious if they receive a letter in the mail asking if they want a copy of their deed and property assessment. Read more on this news related to 'Dubious'