Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Drunk'
- a single serving of a beverage; "I asked for a hot drink"; "likes a drink before dinner"
- the act of drinking alcoholic beverages to excess; "drink was his downfall" [syn: drinking, boozing, drunkenness, crapulence]
- any liquid suitable for drinking; "may I take your beverage order?" [syn: beverage, drinkable, potable]
- any large deep body of water; "he jumped into the drink and had to be rescued"
- the act of swallowing; "one swallow of the liquid was enough"; "he took a drink of his beer and smacked his lips" [syn: swallow, deglutition] v
- take in liquids; "The patient must drink several liters each day"; "The children like to drink soda" [syn: imbibe]
- consume alcohol; "We were up drinking all night" [syn: booze, fuddle]
- propose a toast to; "Let us toast the birthday girl!"; "Let's drink to the New Year" [syn: toast, pledge, salute, wassail]
- be fascinated or spell-bound by; pay close attention to; "The mother drinks in every word of her son on the stage" [syn: drink in]
- drink excessive amounts of alcohol; be an alcoholic; "The husband drinks and beats his wife" [syn: tope] [also: drunk, drank]
- stupefied or excited by a chemical substance (especially alcohol); "a noisy crowd of intoxicated sailors"; "helplessly inebriated" [syn: intoxicated, inebriated] [ant: sober]
- as if under the influence of alcohol; "felt intoxicated by
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Drunk'
Alcohol intoxication (also known as drunkenness or inebriation) is a physiological state that occurs when a person has a high level of ethanol (alcohol) in their blood. Common symptoms of alcohol intoxication include slurred speech, euphoria, impaired balance, loss of muscle coordination (ataxia), flushed face, reddened eyes, reduced inhibition, and erratic behavior. In severe cases, it can cause coma or death.
Toxicologists use the term “alcohol intoxication” to discriminate between alcohol and other toxins.
Acute alcohol intoxication results from a very high level of alcohol in the blood. This term is used by health care providers, often in emergencies.
Alcohol poisoning is an acute and life-threatening condition that requires emergency medical attention. The signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:[See more about Drunk at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Drunk'
'Drunk' in famous quotation sentence
* Ricky Here's 50 bucks, take this in case I get drunk and call you a bitch later. - Made
* My country, right or wrong, is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, My mother, drunk or sober. - G. K. Chesterton
Click here for more related quotations on 'Drunk'
Drunk Sample Sentences in News
- Drunk driver wears mugshot T-shirt to get mugshot taken
A drunk driver from Maine was so proud of his mugshot that he slapped it on a T-shirt and was wearing the silly tee for his booking photo when he... Read more on this news related to 'Drunk'
- Drunk Driving in Colorado - Colorado's Wine Country Ranks Highest
DENVER, Aug. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- It's the one contest you don't want to win, and our Colorado's Wine Country tops the Denver area in the "drunkest" category. Statistics published by the ... Read more on this news related to 'Drunk'
- Drunk History Philadelphia: The Philly episode of Comedy Central's...
The Philly episode of Comedy Central's Drunk History airs tomorrow night at 10pm. It was filmed back in January at McGIllins Old Ale House on Drury Street, you know, oldest continually operating tavern in Ye Olde Philadelphia. But did you... Read more on this news related to 'Drunk'