Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Drone'
Drone Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- stingless male bee in a colony of social bees (especially honeybees) whose sole function is to mate with the queen
- an unchanging intonation [syn: monotone, droning]
- someone who takes more time than necessary; someone who lags behind [syn: dawdler, laggard, lagger, trailer]
- an aircraft without a pilot that is operated by remote control [syn: pilotless aircraft, radio-controlled aircraft}]
- a pipe of the bagpipe that is tuned to produce a single continuous tone [syn: drone pipe, bourdon] v
- make a monotonous low dull sound; "The harmonium was droning on"
- talk in a monotonous voice [syn: drone on]
- Drone \Drone\, n. [OE. drane a dronebee, AS. dr[=a]n; akin to
OS. dr[=a]n, OHG. treno, G. drohne, Dan. drone, cf. Gr. ? a
kind of wasp, dial. Gr. ? drone. Prob. named fr. the droning
sound. See Drone, v. i.]
- (Zo["o]l.) The male of bees, esp. of the honeybee. It gathers no honey. See Honeybee. All with united force combine to drive The lazy drones from the laborious hive. --Dryden.
- One who lives on the labors of others; a lazy, idle fellow; a sluggard. By living as a drone,to be an unprofitable and unworthy member of so noble and learned a society. -- Burton.
- That which gives out a grave or monotonous tone or dull sound; as: (a) A drum. [Obs.] Halliwell. (b) The part of the bagpipe containing the two lowest tubes, which always sound the key note and the fifth.
- A humming or deep murmuring sound. The monotonous drone of the wheel. --Longfellow.
- (Mus.) A monotonous bass, as in a pastoral composition.
- Drone \Drone\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Droned; p. pr. & vb. n.
Droning.] [Cf. (for sense 1) D. dreunen, G. dr["o]hnen,
Icel. drynja to roar, drynr a roaring, Sw. dr["o]na to
bellow, drone, Dan. dr["o]ne, Goth. drunjus sound, Gr. ?
dirge, ? to cry aloud, Skr. dhran to sound. Cf. Drone, n.]
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Drone'
- Drone: Drone may refer to. Nature: The male sex of social Hymenoptera ns, such as a. Drone (bee) male wasp male ant Chemicals: An abbreviation referring ...
- Drone music: Drone music is a minimalist music al style that emphasizes the use of sustain ed or repeated sounds, notes, or tone-cluster s – called ...
- Drone (music): In music , a drone is a harmonic or monophonic effect or accompaniment where a note or chord is continuously sounded throughout most or ...
- Drone metal: Drone metal (also known as drone doom and power ambient) is a style of heavy metal that melds the slow tempos and heaviness of doom metal ...
- Drone (bee): Drones are male honey bee s. They develop from eggs that have not been fertilized, and they cannot sting, since the worker bee's stinger ...
- Drones Club: The Drones Club is a recurring fictional location in the stories of British comic writer P. G. Wodehouse , being a gentlemen's club in ...
- Target drone: A target drone is an unmanned, remote control led aerial vehicle, usually used in the training of anti-aircraft crews. target drones often ...
- Drone (Star Trek: Voyager): "Drone" is an episode of Star Trek: Voyager , the second episode of the fifth season. The episode has an average rating of 4.6/5 on the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Drone'
Drone Sample Sentences in News
- Terrifying Taser Drone Comes Equipped With 80,000 Volt Stun Gun
Well, now a drone named CUPID is delivering 80,000 volts through an on-board stun gun. For one of the more theatrical presentations at SXSW this weekend, software developer Chaotic Moon Studios gave a live demonstration of how its flying drone CUPID handles unwelcome house guests. It's part of a series that William "Whurley" Hurley, Chaotic Moon' Read more on this news related to 'Drone'
- Drone strike kills 4 'Qaeda' in Yemen: tribal source
A US drone strike in northeast Yemen has killed four suspected Al-Qaeda members, a tribal source said on Tuesday. Two missiles struck two vehicles late Monday in the Wadi Abida area, east of Sanaa, killing the occupants "who were all Al-Qaeda members," the source said. Obad Mubarak al-Shabwani and Jaafar al-Shabwani, "both local chiefs of Al-Qaeda,& Read more on this news related to 'Drone'
- Intern Tasered by Drone Stun Gun Feels 'Pretty Good'
The 26-year old intern who was tasered by a drone with a stun gun during the South By Southwest festival (SXSW) says he felt "pretty good" about being zapped by his employer. Read more on this news related to 'Drone'