Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Documentation'
- confirmation that some fact or statement is true [syn: certification, corroboration]
- program listings or technical manuals describing the operation and use of programs [syn: software documentation}]
- documentary validation; "his documentation of the results was excellent"; "the strongest support for this this view is the work of Jones" [syn: support]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Documentation'
Documentation is a general term for written information, media, and other content used to support a tool or a process. Documentation (to document) also refers to the process of providing evidence.
Technical writers and corporate communicators are professionals whose field and work is documentation. Ideally, technical writers have a background in both the subject matter and also in writing and managing content (information architecture). Technical writers more commonly collaborate with subject matter experts (SMEs), such as engineers, medical professionals, or other types of clients to define and then create content (documentation) that meets the user's needs. Corporate communications includes other types of written documentation that is required for most companies.
Common types of documentation include user guides, white papers, on-line help, quick-reference guides. It is less common to see hard-copy (paper) documentation. Documentation is distributed via websites, software products, and other on-line applications.[See more about Documentation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Documentation'
Documentation Sample Sentences in News
- Salesforce hits 1.5 million developer mark, simplifies documentation
The company launched Salesforce Developers, which aims to make it easier to find documentation, peer help, and other resources. Read more on this news related to 'Documentation'
- HP ART documentation tools bring better user experiences to IT solutions provider EVRY
Nordic IT solutions provider EVRY has taken automation and agility to new heights in its training and documentation of IT products and services, and found that even small steps can make a valuable return on user adoption patterns. Read more on this news related to 'Documentation'
- Digital Farmworker Movement Documentation Archive Acquired by UCSD Library
A rich digital archive documenting the UFW Farmworkers' Movement in Central California from 1962 to 1993 has been acquired by the University of California, San Diego Library. The archive, which was developed by LeRoy Chatfield, includes a wide variety of information on the activities, accomplishments, challenges, and work of Cesar Chavez and the farmworkers wh Read more on this news related to 'Documentation'