Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Disturbed'
- having the place or position changed; "the disturbed books and papers on her desk"; "disturbed grass showed where the horse had passed"
- afflicted with or marked by anxious uneasiness or trouble or grief; "too upset to say anything"; "spent many disquieted moments"; "distressed about her son's leaving home"; "lapsed into disturbed sleep"; "worried parents"; "a worried frown"; "one last worried check of the sleeping children" [syn: disquieted, distressed, upset, worried]
- emotionally unstable and having difficulty coping with personal relationships [syn: maladjusted]
- lacking order or stability; "these unsettled times" [syn: unsettled]
- affected with madness or insanity; "a man who had gone mad" [syn: brainsick, crazy, demented, distracted, mad, sick, unbalanced, unhinged]
- Disturb \Dis*turb"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Disturbed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Disturbing.] [OE. desturben, destourben, OF.
destorber, desturber, destourber, fr. L. disturbare,
disturbatum; dis- + turbare to disturb, trouble, turba
disorder, tumult, crowd. See Turbid.]
- To throw into disorder or confusion; to derange; to interrupt the settled state of; to excite from a state of rest. Preparing to disturb With all-cofounding war the realms above. --Cowper. The bellow's noise disturbed his quiet rest. --Spenser. The utmost which the discontented colonies could do, was to disturb authority. --Burke.
- To agitate the mind of; to deprive of tranquillity; to disquiet; to render uneasy; as, a person is disturbed by receiving an insult, or his mind is disturbed by envy.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Disturbed'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Disturbed'
Disturbed is a rock band from Chicago, Illinois. They were formed in 1996 and have sold over 11 million albums in the United States alone and almost 20 million around the world. All of Disturbed's albums have been number one on the Billboard 200. Four of their albums have been number one on their first week on the Billboard 200.
Disturbed's original name was Brawl, and had a different singer. David Draiman joined Brawl, and changed the name to Disturbed. In 2000, Disturbed released their first CD, called The Sickness. Since 2000, The Sickness has sold over 4 million copies in the United States. In 2002, Disturbed released a DVD called M.O.L.. This has music videos and videos of the band while on tour. Later in 2002, Disturbed released another CD, called Believe. After Disturbed finished a tour in 2003, they fired bassist, Steve Kmak. He was replaced with John Moyer. In 2005, Disturbed released another album called Ten Thousand Fists. One of Disturbed's songs, "This Moment" was put in the movie Transformers. In 2008, Disturbed released another album, called Indestructible. Some of the songs from Indestructible were put on the video game Rock Band.[See more about Disturbed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Disturbed'
'Disturbed' in famous quotation sentence
* I had a terrible education. I attended a school for emotionally disturbed teachers. - Woody Allen
* To bemoan the messiness of politics is not just a folly it betrays a dangerous impatience with basic realities. It is like becoming disturbed that people do not fall in love sensibly -- and so deciding to computerize the problem. - Theodore Roszak
Click here for more related quotations on 'Disturbed'