Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Distemper'
Distemper Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- any of various infectious viral diseases of animals
- an angry and disagreeable mood [syn: ill humor, ill humour] [ant: good humor]
- paint made by mixing the pigments with water and a binder
- a painting created by distemper
- a method of painting in which the pigments are mixed with water and a binder; used for painting posters or murals or stage scenery v : paint with distemper
- Distemper \Dis*tem"per\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Distempered; p.
pr. & vb. n. Distempering.] [OF. destemprer, destremper, to
distemper, F. d['e]tremper to soak, soften, slake (lime);
pref. des- (L. dis-) + OF. temprer, tremper, F. tremper, L.
temperare to mingle in due proportion. See Temper, and cf.
- To temper or mix unduly; to make disproportionate; to change the due proportions of. [Obs.] When . . . the humors in his body ben distempered. --Chaucer.
- To derange the functions of, whether bodily, mental, or spiritual; to disorder; to disease. --Shak. The imagination, when completely distempered, is the most incurable of all disordered faculties. --Buckminster.
- To deprive of temper or moderation; to disturb; to ruffle; to make disaffected, ill-humored, or malignant. ``Distempered spirits.'' --Coleridge.
- To intoxicate. [R.] The courtiers reeling, And the duke himself, I dare not say distempered, But kind, and in his tottering chair carousing. --Massinger.
- (Paint.) To mix (colors) in the way of distemper; as, to distemper colors with size. [R.]
- Distemper \Dis*tem"per\, n. [See Distemper, v. t., and cf.
- An undue or unnatural temper, or disproportionate mixture of parts. --Bacon. Note: This meaning and most of the following are to be referred to the Galenical doctrine of the four ``humors'' in man. See Humor. According to the old physicians, these humors, when unduly tempered, produce a disordered state of body and mind.
- Severity of climate; extreme weather, whether hot or cold. [Obs.] Those countries . . . under the tropic, were of a
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Distemper'
- Distemper: Distemper may refer to: A viral infection. Canine distemper , a disease of dogs. Feline distemper , a disease of cats. Phocine distemper , a ...
- Canine distemper: Canine distemper is a viral disease that affects animals in the families Canidae , Mustelidae , Mephitidae , Hyaenidae , Ailuridae , ...
- Distemper (paint): Distemper is a term with a variety of meanings for paint s used in decorating and as a historical medium for painting pictures. ...
- Distemper (band): Distemper is a ska punk band from Moscow that was founded in 1989 and is also successful outside of Russia . History: Distemper was founded ...
- Distemper (album): Distemper is the first non-compilation album by The New Christs . It reached 1 on the Australian Alternative Charts. Track listing " ...
- Phocine distemper virus: Phocine distemper virus (PDV) is a paramyxovirus of the genus morbillivirus that is pathogenic for pinniped species, particularly seals ...
- Blain (distemper): Blain is a distemper occurring in animals, consisting in a bladder growing on the root of the tongue against the windpipe , which at ...
- Pacchiarotto, and How He Worked in Distemper: Pacchiarotto, and How He Worked in Distemper is a short collection of English poems by Robert Browning , published in 1876. The collection ...
Words and phrases related to 'Distemper'
Distemper Sample Sentences in News
- Raccoon found in town with canine distemper
A raccoon that was acting abnormally Saturday afternoon in a northwest Baker City neighborhood was suffering from canine distemper, said Brian Ratliff, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife district biologist. Read more on this news related to 'Distemper'
- Raccoon tests positive for canine distemper in Fairfax County
A raccoon recently tested positive for canine distemper in Fairfax County. Read more on this news related to 'Distemper'
- Distemper comes to Albuquerque animal shelters
A deadly outbreak that has been at Albuquerque animal shelters for more than two months has led to nearly two dozen dogs being put down. Distemper disguises itself with cold symptoms at first but is deadly among dogs in many cases. In addition, it is highly contagious. Veterinarian Stacy Kraus is now doing walk-throughs at area kennels and is examining each dog at Read more on this news related to 'Distemper'