Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Distemper'
Distemper Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- any of various infectious viral diseases of animals
- an angry and disagreeable mood [syn: ill humor, ill humour] [ant: good humor]
- paint made by mixing the pigments with water and a binder
- a painting created by distemper
- a method of painting in which the pigments are mixed with water and a binder; used for painting posters or murals or stage scenery v : paint with distemper
- Distemper \Dis*tem"per\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Distempered; p.
pr. & vb. n. Distempering.] [OF. destemprer, destremper, to
distemper, F. d['e]tremper to soak, soften, slake (lime);
pref. des- (L. dis-) + OF. temprer, tremper, F. tremper, L.
temperare to mingle in due proportion. See Temper, and cf.
- To temper or mix unduly; to make disproportionate; to change the due proportions of. [Obs.] When . . . the humors in his body ben distempered. --Chaucer.
- To derange the functions of, whether bodily, mental, or spiritual; to disorder; to disease. --Shak. The imagination, when completely distempered, is the most incurable of all disordered faculties. --Buckminster.
- To deprive of temper or moderation; to disturb; to ruffle; to make disaffected, ill-humored, or malignant. ``Distempered spirits.'' --Coleridge.
- To intoxicate. [R.] The courtiers reeling, And the duke himself, I dare not say distempered, But kind, and in his tottering chair carousing. --Massinger.
- (Paint.) To mix (colors) in the way of distemper; as, to distemper colors with size. [R.]
- Distemper \Dis*tem"per\, n. [See Distemper, v. t., and cf.
- An undue or unnatural temper, or disproportionate mixture of parts. --Bacon. Note: This meaning and most of the following are to be referred to the Galenical doctrine of the four ``humors'' in man. See Humor. According to the old physicians, these humors, when unduly tempered, produce a disordered state of body and mind.
- Severity of climate; extreme weather, whether hot or cold. [Obs.] Those countries . . . under the tropic, were of a
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Distemper'
- Distemper: Distemper may refer to: A viral infection. Canine distemper , a disease of dogs. Feline distemper , a disease of cats. Phocine distemper , a ...
- Canine distemper: Canine distemper is a viral disease that affects animals in the families Canidae , Mustelidae , Mephitidae , Hyaenidae , Ailuridae , ...
- Distemper (paint): Distemper is a term with a variety of meanings for paint s used in decorating and as a historical medium for painting pictures. ...
- Distemper (band): Distemper is a ska punk band from Moscow that was founded in 1989 and is also successful outside of Russia . History: Distemper was founded ...
- Distemper (album): Distemper is the first non-compilation album by The New Christs . It reached 1 on the Australian Alternative Charts. Track listing " ...
- Phocine distemper virus: Phocine distemper virus (PDV) is a paramyxovirus of the genus morbillivirus that is pathogenic for pinniped species, particularly seals ...
- Blain (distemper): Blain is a distemper occurring in animals, consisting in a bladder growing on the root of the tongue against the windpipe , which at ...
- Pacchiarotto, and How He Worked in Distemper: Pacchiarotto, and How He Worked in Distemper is a short collection of English poems by Robert Browning , published in 1876. The collection ...
Words and phrases related to 'Distemper'
Distemper Sample Sentences in News
- Humane society outbreak in New Braunfels kills dogs, halts adoptions
The New Braunfels Humane Society confirmed several cases of canine distemper at their shelter, resulting in an adoption halt and euthanization of most dogs. Read more on this news related to 'Distemper'
- New Braunfels shelter fighting distemper 'disaster'
Open only a year and a half, a long-awaited animal shelter operated by the Humane Society of New Braunfels is fighting a distemper “disaster.” “When you lose this many family members, to us it is a disaster,” said Denise Cox, the organization’s executive director. “It’s like you’re losing a child.” Cox said she was unable to provide an exact numb Read more on this news related to 'Distemper'
- Distemper outbreak hits New Braunfels shelter
NEW BRAUNFELS — A breakout of canine distemper at the Humane Society of the New Braunfels Area recently caused officials to euthanize about three-quarters of the dogs at the facility, a spokeswoman said. Read more on this news related to 'Distemper'