Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Distemper'
Distemper Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- any of various infectious viral diseases of animals
- an angry and disagreeable mood [syn: ill humor, ill humour] [ant: good humor]
- paint made by mixing the pigments with water and a binder
- a painting created by distemper
- a method of painting in which the pigments are mixed with water and a binder; used for painting posters or murals or stage scenery v : paint with distemper
- Distemper \Dis*tem"per\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Distempered; p.
pr. & vb. n. Distempering.] [OF. destemprer, destremper, to
distemper, F. d['e]tremper to soak, soften, slake (lime);
pref. des- (L. dis-) + OF. temprer, tremper, F. tremper, L.
temperare to mingle in due proportion. See Temper, and cf.
- To temper or mix unduly; to make disproportionate; to change the due proportions of. [Obs.] When . . . the humors in his body ben distempered. --Chaucer.
- To derange the functions of, whether bodily, mental, or spiritual; to disorder; to disease. --Shak. The imagination, when completely distempered, is the most incurable of all disordered faculties. --Buckminster.
- To deprive of temper or moderation; to disturb; to ruffle; to make disaffected, ill-humored, or malignant. ``Distempered spirits.'' --Coleridge.
- To intoxicate. [R.] The courtiers reeling, And the duke himself, I dare not say distempered, But kind, and in his tottering chair carousing. --Massinger.
- (Paint.) To mix (colors) in the way of distemper; as, to distemper colors with size. [R.]
- Distemper \Dis*tem"per\, n. [See Distemper, v. t., and cf.
- An undue or unnatural temper, or disproportionate mixture of parts. --Bacon. Note: This meaning and most of the following are to be referred to the Galenical doctrine of the four ``humors'' in man. See Humor. According to the old physicians, these humors, when unduly tempered, produce a disordered state of body and mind.
- Severity of climate; extreme weather, whether hot or cold. [Obs.] Those countries . . . under the tropic, were of a
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Distemper'
- Distemper: Distemper may refer to: A viral infection. Canine distemper , a disease of dogs. Feline distemper , a disease of cats. Phocine distemper , a ...
- Canine distemper: Canine distemper is a viral disease that affects animals in the families Canidae , Mustelidae , Mephitidae , Hyaenidae , Ailuridae , ...
- Distemper (paint): Distemper is a term with a variety of meanings for paint s used in decorating and as a historical medium for painting pictures. ...
- Distemper (band): Distemper is a ska punk band from Moscow that was founded in 1989 and is also successful outside of Russia . History: Distemper was founded ...
- Distemper (album): Distemper is the first non-compilation album by The New Christs . It reached 1 on the Australian Alternative Charts. Track listing " ...
- Phocine distemper virus: Phocine distemper virus (PDV) is a paramyxovirus of the genus morbillivirus that is pathogenic for pinniped species, particularly seals ...
- Blain (distemper): Blain is a distemper occurring in animals, consisting in a bladder growing on the root of the tongue against the windpipe , which at ...
- Pacchiarotto, and How He Worked in Distemper: Pacchiarotto, and How He Worked in Distemper is a short collection of English poems by Robert Browning , published in 1876. The collection ...
Words and phrases related to 'Distemper'