Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dissolve'
Dissolve Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : (film) a gradual transition from one scene to the next; the
next scene is gradually superimposed as the former scene
- cause to go into a solution; "The recipe says that we should dissolve a cup of sugar in two cups of water" [syn: resolve, break up]
- pass into a solution; "The sugar quickly dissolved in the coffee"
- become weaker; "The sound faded out" [syn: fade out, fade away}]
- come to an end; "Their marriage dissolved"; "The tobacco monopoly broke up" [syn: break up]
- stop functioning or cohering as a unit; "The political wing of the party dissolved after much internal fighting" [syn: disband]
- cause to lose control emotionally; "The news dissolved her into tears"
- lose control emotionally; "She dissolved into tears when she heard that she had lost all her savings in the pyramid scheme"
- cause to fade away; "dissolve a shot or a picture"
- become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat" [syn: thaw, unfreeze, unthaw, dethaw, melt]
- bring the association of to an end or cause to break up; "The decree officially dissolved the marriage"; "the judge dissolved the tobacco company" [syn: break up] 1
- declare void; "The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections" [syn: dismiss]
- Dissolve \Dis*solve"\, v. i.
- To waste away; to be dissipated; to be decomposed or broken up.
- To become fluid; to be melted; to be liquefied. A figure Trenched in ice, which with an hour's heat Dissolves to water, and doth lose his form. --Shak.
- To fade away; to fall to nothing; to lose power. The charm dissolves apace. --Shak.
- Dissolve \Dis*solve"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dissolved; p. pr. &
vb. n. Dissolving.] [L. dissolvere, dissolutum; dis- +
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dissolve'
- Dissolve (filmmaking): In film editing , a dissolve is a gradual transition from one image to another. In film , this effect is created by controlled double ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dissolve'
Dissolve Sample Sentences in News
- Sathit challenges PM to dissolve House right away
Yingluck shouid dissolve the House right away and set up a people's council to reform politics. He added that the government has lost legitimacy so dissolution or not would make no difference. The ... Read more on this news related to 'Dissolve'
- Ready to dissolve parliament, says Thai PM
Bangkok, Dec 8 (IANS): Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Sunday that she was ready to resign or dissolve parliament to end the ongoing political turmoil. Read more on this news related to 'Dissolve'
- Thai PM Offers to Dissolve Parliament, Hold Elections
Embattled Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today offered to dissolve Parliament and hold elections within 60 days if that is what majority of the people wanted, even as a top anti-government protest leader warned that tomorrow will be the D-Day to topple her regime. Read more on this news related to 'Dissolve'