Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dissolve'
Dissolve Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : (film) a gradual transition from one scene to the next; the
next scene is gradually superimposed as the former scene
- cause to go into a solution; "The recipe says that we should dissolve a cup of sugar in two cups of water" [syn: resolve, break up]
- pass into a solution; "The sugar quickly dissolved in the coffee"
- become weaker; "The sound faded out" [syn: fade out, fade away}]
- come to an end; "Their marriage dissolved"; "The tobacco monopoly broke up" [syn: break up]
- stop functioning or cohering as a unit; "The political wing of the party dissolved after much internal fighting" [syn: disband]
- cause to lose control emotionally; "The news dissolved her into tears"
- lose control emotionally; "She dissolved into tears when she heard that she had lost all her savings in the pyramid scheme"
- cause to fade away; "dissolve a shot or a picture"
- become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat" [syn: thaw, unfreeze, unthaw, dethaw, melt]
- bring the association of to an end or cause to break up; "The decree officially dissolved the marriage"; "the judge dissolved the tobacco company" [syn: break up] 1
- declare void; "The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections" [syn: dismiss]
- Dissolve \Dis*solve"\, v. i.
- To waste away; to be dissipated; to be decomposed or broken up.
- To become fluid; to be melted; to be liquefied. A figure Trenched in ice, which with an hour's heat Dissolves to water, and doth lose his form. --Shak.
- To fade away; to fall to nothing; to lose power. The charm dissolves apace. --Shak.
- Dissolve \Dis*solve"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dissolved; p. pr. &
vb. n. Dissolving.] [L. dissolvere, dissolutum; dis- +
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dissolve'
- Dissolve (filmmaking): In film editing , a dissolve is a gradual transition from one image to another. In film , this effect is created by controlled double ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dissolve'