Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dissolve'
Dissolve Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : (film) a gradual transition from one scene to the next; the
next scene is gradually superimposed as the former scene
- cause to go into a solution; "The recipe says that we should dissolve a cup of sugar in two cups of water" [syn: resolve, break up]
- pass into a solution; "The sugar quickly dissolved in the coffee"
- become weaker; "The sound faded out" [syn: fade out, fade away}]
- come to an end; "Their marriage dissolved"; "The tobacco monopoly broke up" [syn: break up]
- stop functioning or cohering as a unit; "The political wing of the party dissolved after much internal fighting" [syn: disband]
- cause to lose control emotionally; "The news dissolved her into tears"
- lose control emotionally; "She dissolved into tears when she heard that she had lost all her savings in the pyramid scheme"
- cause to fade away; "dissolve a shot or a picture"
- become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat" [syn: thaw, unfreeze, unthaw, dethaw, melt]
- bring the association of to an end or cause to break up; "The decree officially dissolved the marriage"; "the judge dissolved the tobacco company" [syn: break up] 1
- declare void; "The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections" [syn: dismiss]
- Dissolve \Dis*solve"\, v. i.
- To waste away; to be dissipated; to be decomposed or broken up.
- To become fluid; to be melted; to be liquefied. A figure Trenched in ice, which with an hour's heat Dissolves to water, and doth lose his form. --Shak.
- To fade away; to fall to nothing; to lose power. The charm dissolves apace. --Shak.
- Dissolve \Dis*solve"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dissolved; p. pr. &
vb. n. Dissolving.] [L. dissolvere, dissolutum; dis- +
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dissolve'
- Dissolve (filmmaking): In film editing , a dissolve is a gradual transition from one image to another. In film , this effect is created by controlled double ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dissolve'
Dissolve Sample Sentences in News
- The Makers of ZYRTEC(R) Launch New Dissolve Tabs
The makers of ZYRTEC® are pleased to announce the launch of a new form to the ZYRTEC® portfolio of allergy-relief products -- a convenient oral, dissolvable tablet. Delivering the same effective 24-hour ... Read more on this news related to 'Dissolve'
- Macedonia's lawmakers dissolve parliament, early vote likely in April
Lawmakers in Macedonia voted to dissolve parliament on Wednesday, clearing the way for a snap election expected in April after the multi-ethnic ruling coalition failed to agree on a candidate for president. The speaker of parliament must now set a date for an early poll, which local media said would likely coincide with the second round of a presidential election. Read more on this news related to 'Dissolve'
- Ukraine begins procedure to dissolve Crimea assembly
Ukraine's parliament began a procedure to dissolve the regional assembly in Crimea after it asked to join Russia, Ukraine's interim president Oleksandr Turchynov said Thursday. "The Rada (parliament in Kiev) will begin the procedure for dissolution," Turchynov said hours after the assembly in the tense peninsula adopted a motion to become part of Read more on this news related to 'Dissolve'