Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dissipating'
- Dissipate \Dis"si*pate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dissipated; p.
pr. & vb. n. Dissipating.] [L. dissipatus, p. p. of
dissipare; dis- + an obsolete verb sipare, supare. to throw.]
- To scatter completely; to disperse and cause to disappear; -- used esp. of the dispersion of things that can never again be collected or restored. Dissipated those foggy mists of error. --Selden. I soon dissipated his fears. --Cook. The extreme tendency of civilization is to dissipate all intellectual energy. --Hazlitt.
- To destroy by wasteful extravagance or lavish use; to squander. The vast wealth . . . was in three years dissipated. --Bp. Burnet. Syn: To disperse; scatter; dispel; spend; squander; waste; consume; lavish.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dissipating'
In physics, dissipation embodies the concept of a dynamical system where important mechanical modes, such as waves or oscillations, lose energy over time, typically due to the action of friction or turbulence. The lost energy is converted into heat, raising the temperature of the system. Such systems are called dissipative systems.
For example, a wave that loses amplitude is said to dissipate. The precise nature of the effects depends on the nature of the wave: an atmospheric wave, for instance, may dissipate close to the surface due to friction with the land mass, and at higher levels due to radiative cooling.
Dissipating forces are those which can not be described by Hamiltonian formalism. Loosely speaking, friction and all similar forces which result in decoherency of energy, that is, conversion of coherent or directed energy flow into an indirected or more isotropic distribution of energy.[See more about Dissipating at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dissipating'
'Dissipating' in famous quotation sentence
* Beware of dissipating your powers strive constantly to concentrate them. Genius thinks it can do whatever it sees others doing, but is sure to repent of every ill-judged outlay. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dissipating'
Dissipating Sample Sentences in News
- Feds Say Oil Spill Sheen Dissipating in Ohio River
Feds say sheen from thousands of gallons of oil spilled into Ohio River dissipating Read more on this news related to 'Dissipating'
- Feds say sheen from thousands of gallons of oil spilled into Ohio River dissipating
CINCINNATI - Most of a reddish-brown sheen created by thousands of gallons of fuel oil that spilled into the Ohio River from a power plant was dissipating as a cleanup estimated to cost hundreds of thousands ... Read more on this news related to 'Dissipating'
- ESCO MILLHOG(R) Pipe Beveling Tools Feature Heat Dissipating Cutter Blades
ESCO Tool introduces a full line of pipe beveling tools in pneumatic, electric, and battery powered models featuring cutter blades that incorporate a radical chip breaker to draw heat away from the surface ... Read more on this news related to 'Dissipating'