Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dissipating'
- Dissipate \Dis"si*pate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dissipated; p.
pr. & vb. n. Dissipating.] [L. dissipatus, p. p. of
dissipare; dis- + an obsolete verb sipare, supare. to throw.]
- To scatter completely; to disperse and cause to disappear; -- used esp. of the dispersion of things that can never again be collected or restored. Dissipated those foggy mists of error. --Selden. I soon dissipated his fears. --Cook. The extreme tendency of civilization is to dissipate all intellectual energy. --Hazlitt.
- To destroy by wasteful extravagance or lavish use; to squander. The vast wealth . . . was in three years dissipated. --Bp. Burnet. Syn: To disperse; scatter; dispel; spend; squander; waste; consume; lavish.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dissipating'
In physics, dissipation embodies the concept of a dynamical system where important mechanical modes, such as waves or oscillations, lose energy over time, typically due to the action of friction or turbulence. The lost energy is converted into heat, raising the temperature of the system. Such systems are called dissipative systems.
For example, a wave that loses amplitude is said to dissipate. The precise nature of the effects depends on the nature of the wave: an atmospheric wave, for instance, may dissipate close to the surface due to friction with the land mass, and at higher levels due to radiative cooling.
Dissipating forces are those which can not be described by Hamiltonian formalism. Loosely speaking, friction and all similar forces which result in decoherency of energy, that is, conversion of coherent or directed energy flow into an indirected or more isotropic distribution of energy.[See more about Dissipating at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dissipating'
'Dissipating' in famous quotation sentence
* Beware of dissipating your powers strive constantly to concentrate them. Genius thinks it can do whatever it sees others doing, but is sure to repent of every ill-judged outlay. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dissipating'
Dissipating Sample Sentences in News
- GOP support on immigration dissipating
Without concessions on security, reform may be a non-starter. Read more on this news related to 'Dissipating'
- Inflation seen to average 1.7pc in May
The headline inflation level is expected to tick upwards in May on dissipating base effects said economists. According to a Business Times poll, the Consumer Price Index is likely to average 1.7 per cent in May. The Statistics Department will release the data today. Citi said dissipating base effects will likely begin to push annualised data upwards from 1.7 per c Read more on this news related to 'Dissipating'
- The inflation is expected to average 1.7pc in May
KUALA LUMPUR: The headline inflation level is expected to tick upwards in May on dissipating base effects said economists. According to a Business Times poll, the Consumer Price Index is likely to average 1.7 per cent in May. Read more on this news related to 'Dissipating'