Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Disrespect'
- an expression of lack of respect [syn: discourtesy]
- a disrespectful mental attitude [ant: respect]
- a manner that is generally disrespectful and contemptuous [syn: contempt] v
- show a lack of respect for [ant: respect]
- have little or no respect for; hold in contempt [syn: disesteem] [ant: respect, respect]
- Disrespect \Dis`re*spect"\, n.
Want of respect or reverence; disesteem; incivility;
Impatience of bearing the least affront or disrespect.
- Disrespect \Dis`re*spect"\, v. t.
To show disrespect to.
We have disrespected and slighted God. --Comber.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Disrespect'
Respect denotes both a positive feeling of esteem for a person of other entity (such as a nation or a religion), and also specific actions and conduct representative of that esteem. Respect can be a specific feeling of regard for the actual qualities of the one respected (e.g., "I have great respect for her judgment"). It can also be conduct in accord with a specific ethic of respect. Rude conduct is usually considered to indicate a lack of respect, disrespect, where as actions that honor somebody or something indicate respect.
Specific ethics of respect are of fundamental importance to various cultures. Respect for tradition and legitimate authority is identified by Jonathan Haidt as one of five fundamental moral values shared to a greater or lesser degree by different societies and individuals.[See more about Disrespect at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Disrespect'