Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Disrespect'
- an expression of lack of respect [syn: discourtesy]
- a disrespectful mental attitude [ant: respect]
- a manner that is generally disrespectful and contemptuous [syn: contempt] v
- show a lack of respect for [ant: respect]
- have little or no respect for; hold in contempt [syn: disesteem] [ant: respect, respect]
- Disrespect \Dis`re*spect"\, n.
Want of respect or reverence; disesteem; incivility;
Impatience of bearing the least affront or disrespect.
- Disrespect \Dis`re*spect"\, v. t.
To show disrespect to.
We have disrespected and slighted God. --Comber.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Disrespect'
Respect denotes both a positive feeling of esteem for a person of other entity (such as a nation or a religion), and also specific actions and conduct representative of that esteem. Respect can be a specific feeling of regard for the actual qualities of the one respected (e.g., "I have great respect for her judgment"). It can also be conduct in accord with a specific ethic of respect. Rude conduct is usually considered to indicate a lack of respect, disrespect, where as actions that honor somebody or something indicate respect.
Specific ethics of respect are of fundamental importance to various cultures. Respect for tradition and legitimate authority is identified by Jonathan Haidt as one of five fundamental moral values shared to a greater or lesser degree by different societies and individuals.[See more about Disrespect at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Disrespect'
Disrespect Sample Sentences in News
- Shameless disrespect for the justice system
The way an associate justice of the Supreme Court was recently selected is extremely disturbing. It was done like one was merely buying a piece of candy from a sari-sari store: no need to choose carefully, just get what you want. Read more on this news related to 'Disrespect'
- Parking Scofflaws Given Clear Sign Why They Got a Ticket
Welcome to Boston! Don’t disrespect the parking rules. Read more on this news related to 'Disrespect'
- Suspect admits Kent gas station shooting; cites 'disrespect'
The man accused of gunning down two workers at a Kent gas station admits he did it, and says the fight was over "disrespect." Police said Leland D. Russell, 29, was the only shooter at the Shell gas station Wednesday morning where manager David Christianson and clerk Carlos Gonzalez were killed. “I’m really going to miss him a lot, and I love him dea Read more on this news related to 'Disrespect'