Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Disrespect'
- an expression of lack of respect [syn: discourtesy]
- a disrespectful mental attitude [ant: respect]
- a manner that is generally disrespectful and contemptuous [syn: contempt] v
- show a lack of respect for [ant: respect]
- have little or no respect for; hold in contempt [syn: disesteem] [ant: respect, respect]
- Disrespect \Dis`re*spect"\, n.
Want of respect or reverence; disesteem; incivility;
Impatience of bearing the least affront or disrespect.
- Disrespect \Dis`re*spect"\, v. t.
To show disrespect to.
We have disrespected and slighted God. --Comber.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Disrespect'
Respect denotes both a positive feeling of esteem for a person of other entity (such as a nation or a religion), and also specific actions and conduct representative of that esteem. Respect can be a specific feeling of regard for the actual qualities of the one respected (e.g., "I have great respect for her judgment"). It can also be conduct in accord with a specific ethic of respect. Rude conduct is usually considered to indicate a lack of respect, disrespect, where as actions that honor somebody or something indicate respect.
Specific ethics of respect are of fundamental importance to various cultures. Respect for tradition and legitimate authority is identified by Jonathan Haidt as one of five fundamental moral values shared to a greater or lesser degree by different societies and individuals.[See more about Disrespect at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Disrespect'
Disrespect Sample Sentences in News
- Justin Bieber 'So Sorry' For Sweeping Argentine Flags Off Stage
Justin Bieber meant no disrespect when he swept off two Argentine flags during a concert last weekend in Buenos Aires. Read more on this news related to 'Disrespect'
- Dissecting the disrespect
Love is blind. Do you agree? Is it true that when you are in love with someone, you are unable to actively notice their faults and bad intentions? Is it much easier to sideline their acts of disrespect and dishonesty for delight and adoration? Read more on this news related to 'Disrespect'
- Oprah Winfrey: 'Level of disrespect' shown to Obama linked to race
WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 (UPI) -- Oprah Winfrey says the "level of disrespect" shown in some criticism of President Obama could be because of his race. Read more on this news related to 'Disrespect'