Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Disperse'
- distribute loosely; "He scattered gun powder under the wagon" [syn: scatter, sprinkle, dot, dust]
- to cause to separate and go in different directions; "She waved her hand and scattered the crowds" [syn: dissipate, dispel, break up, scatter]
- move away from each other; "The crowds dispersed"; "The children scattered in all directions when the teacher approached"; [syn: dissipate, scatter, spread out]
- cause to separate; "break up kidney stones"; "disperse particles" [syn: break up, scatter]
- cause to become widely known; "spread information"; "circulate a rumor"; "broadcast the news" [syn: circulate, circularize, circularise, distribute, disseminate, propagate, broadcast, spread, diffuse, pass around}]
- Disperse \Dis*perse"\, v. i.
- To separate; to go or move into different parts; to vanish; as, the company dispersed at ten o'clock; the clouds disperse.
- To distribute wealth; to share one's abundance with others. He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor. --Ps. cxii. 9.
- Disperse \Dis*perse"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dispersed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Dispersing.] [L. dispersus, p. p. of dispergere to
strew, scatter. See Sparse.]
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Disperse'
Disperse is a Christian Rock band from Southern Indiana. The band was formerly known, with an adjusted roster, as "Stuff."
Formed in early 1996 under then name of "Stuff," the band consisted of members Chelsey Pieratt, Chris Billings, brothers Andy and Nic Higham, and Dustin Sanders, all members of a Christian youth group who wanted to promote their faith through their various musical talents. Under the guidance of the youth minister at their local church, the band began to play at a nearby christian coffeehouse called the Solid Rock Cafe as an opening act for more notable bands, including Satellite Soul and Just Visiting (now known as the award-winning, world-renowned group The Elms.) Eventually the group began performing solo and headlining their own shows at the Solid Rock Cafe, as well as performing shows at various teen-oriented christian clubs and coffeehouses across Southern Indiana. In the spring of 2000, because of personal conflict between the members of the band, coupled with tensions between the group and the church leadership that brought them together, the group canceled its upcoming gigs and declared an "indefinite hiatus" and Stuff stopped performing.[See more about Disperse at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Disperse'
Disperse Sample Sentences in News
- Police use tear gas to disperse East Lansing crowds after MSU win
Police in riot gear used tear gas to disperse rowdy crowds early Sunday in East Lansing, where thousands converged around fires and some overturned cars to celebrate Michigan State University's first Rose Bowl appearance in a quarter century. Read more on this news related to 'Disperse'
- Police disperse East Lansing crowds after MSU win
Police in riot gear dispersed rowdy crowds early Sunday in East Lansing, where thousands converged around fires and some overturned cars to celebrate Michigan State University's first Rose Bowl appearance in a quarter century. Read more on this news related to 'Disperse'
- Police fire water cannon to disperse Egypt rallies
CAIRO (AP) — Black-clad Egyptian police descended on two small anti-government rallies in Cairo on Tuesday and fired water cannons to disperse them, enforcing a controversial new law restricting protests. The heavy hand fueled a backlash among secular activists and liberals who accuse the military-backed government of accelerating down a path even more authorita Read more on this news related to 'Disperse'