Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Disperse'
- distribute loosely; "He scattered gun powder under the wagon" [syn: scatter, sprinkle, dot, dust]
- to cause to separate and go in different directions; "She waved her hand and scattered the crowds" [syn: dissipate, dispel, break up, scatter]
- move away from each other; "The crowds dispersed"; "The children scattered in all directions when the teacher approached"; [syn: dissipate, scatter, spread out]
- cause to separate; "break up kidney stones"; "disperse particles" [syn: break up, scatter]
- cause to become widely known; "spread information"; "circulate a rumor"; "broadcast the news" [syn: circulate, circularize, circularise, distribute, disseminate, propagate, broadcast, spread, diffuse, pass around}]
- Disperse \Dis*perse"\, v. i.
- To separate; to go or move into different parts; to vanish; as, the company dispersed at ten o'clock; the clouds disperse.
- To distribute wealth; to share one's abundance with others. He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor. --Ps. cxii. 9.
- Disperse \Dis*perse"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dispersed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Dispersing.] [L. dispersus, p. p. of dispergere to
strew, scatter. See Sparse.]
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Disperse'
Disperse is a Christian Rock band from Southern Indiana. The band was formerly known, with an adjusted roster, as "Stuff."
Formed in early 1996 under then name of "Stuff," the band consisted of members Chelsey Pieratt, Chris Billings, brothers Andy and Nic Higham, and Dustin Sanders, all members of a Christian youth group who wanted to promote their faith through their various musical talents. Under the guidance of the youth minister at their local church, the band began to play at a nearby christian coffeehouse called the Solid Rock Cafe as an opening act for more notable bands, including Satellite Soul and Just Visiting (now known as the award-winning, world-renowned group The Elms.) Eventually the group began performing solo and headlining their own shows at the Solid Rock Cafe, as well as performing shows at various teen-oriented christian clubs and coffeehouses across Southern Indiana. In the spring of 2000, because of personal conflict between the members of the band, coupled with tensions between the group and the church leadership that brought them together, the group canceled its upcoming gigs and declared an "indefinite hiatus" and Stuff stopped performing.[See more about Disperse at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Disperse'
Disperse Sample Sentences in News
- More than 70 arrested as UMass party spirals out of control
Police in riot gear worked to disperse thousands at a massive pre-St. Patrick's Day party near UMass Amherst. The annual event, a tradition before Spring Break, lead to violence, severe intoxication, sexual assaults, and property damage. Read more on this news related to 'Disperse'
- Pre-St. Pat’s bash in Mass. erupts in chaos; 73 arrested
Police trying to disperse crowds near the flagship campus of the University of Massachusetts are pelted with bottles, rocks, beer cans and snowballs. Read more on this news related to 'Disperse'
- Israeli police enter holy site to disperse riot
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli police stormed a sensitive Jerusalem holy site Tuesday to disperse a violent riot there mere hours before the Israeli parliament was to hold a charged debate over the status of sovereignty over the same site. Read more on this news related to 'Disperse'