Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dismount'
n : the act of dismounting (a horse or bike etc.)
v : get off (a horse) [syn: unhorse, light, get off, get
- Dismount \Dis*mount"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Dismounted; p. pr.
& vb. n. Dismounting.] [Pref. dis- + mount: cf. OF.
desmonter, F. d['e]monter.]
- To come down; to descend. [Poetic] But now the bright sun ginneth to dismount. --Spenser.
- To alight from a horse; to descend or get off, as a rider from his beast; as, the troops dismounted.
- Dismount \Dis*mount"\, v. t.
- To throw or bring down from an elevation, place of honor and authority, or the like. Dismounted from his authority. --Barrow.
- To throw or remove from a horse; to unhorse; as, the soldier dismounted his adversary.
- (Mech.) To take down, or apart, as a machine.
- To throw or remove from the carriage, or from that on which a thing is mounted; to break the carriage or wheels of, and render useless; to deprive of equipments or mountings; -- said esp. of artillery.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dismount'
Gymnastics is an activity involving performance of exercises requiring physical strength, flexibility, agility, coordination, balance, and grace. Internationally, all of the gymnastic sports are governed by the Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG) with each country having its own national governing body affiliated to FIG. Competitive Artistic gymnastics is the best known of the gymnastic sports. It typically involves the women's events of uneven parallel bars, balance beam, floor exercise, and vault. Men's events include floor exercise, pommel horse, still rings, vault, parallel bars, and high bar. Gymnastics evolved from exercises used by the ancient Greeks, that included skills for mounting and dismounting a horse, and from circus performance skills.
Other gymnastic sports include rhythmic gymnastics, the various trampolining sports, and aerobic and acrobatic gymnastics.[See more about Dismount at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dismount'