Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dismaying'
Dismaying Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : causing consternation; "appalling conditions" [syn: appalling]
- Dismay \Dis*may"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dismayed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Dismaying.] [OE. desmaien, dismaien, OF. esmaier; pref.
es- (L. ex) + OHG. magan to be strong or able; akin to E.
may. In English the pref. es- was changed to dis- (L. dis-).
See May, v. i.]
- To disable with alarm or apprehensions; to depress the spirits or courage of; to deprive or firmness and energy through fear; to daunt; to appall; to terrify. Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed. --Josh. i. 9. What words be these? What fears do you dismay? --Fairfax.
- To render lifeless; to subdue; to disquiet. [Obs.] Do not dismay yourself for this. --Spenser. Syn: To terrify; fright; affright; frighten; appall; daunt; dishearthen; dispirit; discourage; deject; depress. -- To Dismay, Daunt, Appall. Dismay denotes a state of deep and gloomy apprehension. To daunt supposes something more sudden and startling. To appall is the strongest term, implying a sense of terror which overwhelms the faculties. So flies a herd of beeves, that hear, dismayed, The lions roaring through the midnight shade. --Pope. Jove got such heroes as my sire, whose soul No fear could daunt, nor earth nor hell control. --Pope. Now the last ruin the whole host appalls; Now Greece has trembled in her wooden walls. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dismaying'
Words and phrases related to 'Dismaying'
Dismaying Sample Sentences in News
- Editorial: What if it happened on elevated tracks?
One of the most dismaying sights in Metro Manila these days is that of hundreds of people waiting in lines two to three blocks long just to enter Metro Rail Transit (MRT) stations along Epifanio de los Santos Ave. during rush hours. Along with the older Light Rail Transit (LRT) that runs from Caloocan through Rizal Ave. and Taft Ave. to Baclaran in Par Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'
- Canada's character homes are disappearing fast, should we save them?
Teardown. It's a dismaying word for many residents of Vancouver, where sustained high real-estate prices have sacrificed a lot of older homes to the wrecker. Teardowns used to refer to mouldy old shacks but in Vancouver, hundreds of solid, even … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'
- Letter: Dismaying return visit to Clark Art Institute
To the editor of THE EAGLE: To Mr. Michael Conforti, director of the Sterling & Francine Clark Art Institute: Dear Mr. Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'