Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dismaying'
Dismaying Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : causing consternation; "appalling conditions" [syn: appalling]
- Dismay \Dis*may"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dismayed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Dismaying.] [OE. desmaien, dismaien, OF. esmaier; pref.
es- (L. ex) + OHG. magan to be strong or able; akin to E.
may. In English the pref. es- was changed to dis- (L. dis-).
See May, v. i.]
- To disable with alarm or apprehensions; to depress the spirits or courage of; to deprive or firmness and energy through fear; to daunt; to appall; to terrify. Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed. --Josh. i. 9. What words be these? What fears do you dismay? --Fairfax.
- To render lifeless; to subdue; to disquiet. [Obs.] Do not dismay yourself for this. --Spenser. Syn: To terrify; fright; affright; frighten; appall; daunt; dishearthen; dispirit; discourage; deject; depress. -- To Dismay, Daunt, Appall. Dismay denotes a state of deep and gloomy apprehension. To daunt supposes something more sudden and startling. To appall is the strongest term, implying a sense of terror which overwhelms the faculties. So flies a herd of beeves, that hear, dismayed, The lions roaring through the midnight shade. --Pope. Jove got such heroes as my sire, whose soul No fear could daunt, nor earth nor hell control. --Pope. Now the last ruin the whole host appalls; Now Greece has trembled in her wooden walls. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dismaying'
Words and phrases related to 'Dismaying'
Dismaying Sample Sentences in News
- Malaysian Delay In Sharing Radar Data With US Of Missing Boeing 777 Baffling
A very long four days after Malaysia Air Flight MH370 disappeared seemingly without a trace, Malaysian officials have reportedly finally shared their radar data with American accident investigators who will assist in deciphering the data. Why it’s taken this long is not only perplexing but extremely dismaying given the normal protocols for accident investigation Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'
- Retirement: How to 'Set It And Forget It'
The polls are clear and dismaying. Just 13% of Americans are "very confident" in their retirement planning, while 38% are "somewhat confident," the Employee Benefit Research Institute found in a 2013 poll. Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'
- Quarter of Americans Convinced Sun Revolves Around Earth, Survey Finds
National Science Survey Reveals Dismaying Results. Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'