Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dismaying'
Dismaying Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : causing consternation; "appalling conditions" [syn: appalling]
- Dismay \Dis*may"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dismayed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Dismaying.] [OE. desmaien, dismaien, OF. esmaier; pref.
es- (L. ex) + OHG. magan to be strong or able; akin to E.
may. In English the pref. es- was changed to dis- (L. dis-).
See May, v. i.]
- To disable with alarm or apprehensions; to depress the spirits or courage of; to deprive or firmness and energy through fear; to daunt; to appall; to terrify. Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed. --Josh. i. 9. What words be these? What fears do you dismay? --Fairfax.
- To render lifeless; to subdue; to disquiet. [Obs.] Do not dismay yourself for this. --Spenser. Syn: To terrify; fright; affright; frighten; appall; daunt; dishearthen; dispirit; discourage; deject; depress. -- To Dismay, Daunt, Appall. Dismay denotes a state of deep and gloomy apprehension. To daunt supposes something more sudden and startling. To appall is the strongest term, implying a sense of terror which overwhelms the faculties. So flies a herd of beeves, that hear, dismayed, The lions roaring through the midnight shade. --Pope. Jove got such heroes as my sire, whose soul No fear could daunt, nor earth nor hell control. --Pope. Now the last ruin the whole host appalls; Now Greece has trembled in her wooden walls. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dismaying'
Words and phrases related to 'Dismaying'
Dismaying Sample Sentences in News
- Pandora: The Definitive Look Back and Look Ahead
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's interesting, if not dismaying when a music writer, immediately upon release of the most recent Pandora earnings report, pulls the most important piece of information. But that's what Glen Peoples of Billboard did a couple weeks ago when Pandora's Q3 stats hit: Pandora earnings out. Rev $182 mil. Net loss under $2 mil. Mobil Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'
- Sen. Fred Risser: Curtail hunting and trapping in state parks
It is dismaying that people who enjoy being outdoors yet do not hunt or trap now feel unsafe in state parks. Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'
- Looting expected but not typical of Filipinos
Among the horrific images of the devastation caused by Supertyphoon “Yolanda,” the most awful and dismaying were those of the looting taking place at Gaisano Mall. Read more on this news related to 'Dismaying'