Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Disability'
n : the condition of being unable to perform as a consequence of
physical or mental unfitness; "reading disability";
"hearing impairment" [syn: disablement, handicap, impairment]
- Disability \Dis`a*bil"i*ty\, n.; pl. Disabilities.
- State of being disabled; deprivation or want of ability; absence of competent physical, intellectual, or moral power, means, fitness, and the like. Grossest faults, or disabilities to perform what was covenanted. --Milton. Chatham refused to see him, pleading his disability. --Bancroft.
- Want of legal qualification to do a thing; legal incapacity or incompetency. The disabilities of idiocy, infancy, and coverture. --Abbott. Syn: Weakness; inability; incompetence; impotence; incapacity; incompetency; disqualification. Usage: -- Disability, Inability. Inability is an inherent want of power to perform the thing in question; disability arises from some deprivation or loss of the needed competency. One who becomes deranged is under a disability of holding his estate; and one who is made a judge, of deciding in his own case. A man may decline an office on account of his inability to discharge its duties; he may refuse to accept a trust or employment on account of some disability prevents him from entering into such engagements.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Disability'
The World Health Organization defines Disability as follows: "Disabilities is an umbrella term, covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. An impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations. Thus disability is a complex phenomenon, reflecting an interaction between features of a person’s body and features of the society in which he or she lives."
An individual may also qualify as disabled if he/she has had an impairment in the past or is seen as disabled based on a personal or group standard or norm. Such impairments may include physical, sensory, and cognitive or developmental disabilities. Mental disorders (also known as psychiatric or psychosocial disability) and various types of chronic disease may also be considered qualifying disabilities.[See more about Disability at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Disability'
Disability Sample Sentences in News
- Auckland Disability Community Unite on First Feedback to UN
A group of 25 Disabled People’s Organisations, interest groups and service providers, along with countless disabled people and family members have released their first assessment on New Zealand’s disability rights record to the United Nations. Read more on this news related to 'Disability'
- Disability review to cut 1400
ABOUT 1400 people stand to lose entitlements under the changes to the disability support pension announced in the May budget. Read more on this news related to 'Disability'
- Person with disability and dog aide refused entry to mall
MANILA, Philippines – Are private establishments in the Philippines friendly and considerate to the needs of people with disability? Viral photos of a disabled person and a dog who were denied access to a mall seem to prove otherwise. Incident In a Facebook post dated August 27, Michael ... Read more on this news related to 'Disability'