Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dire'
Dire Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- fraught with extreme danger; nearly hopeless; "a desperate illness"; "on all fronts the Allies were in a desperate situation due to lack of materiel"- G.C.Marshall; "a dire emergency" [syn: desperate]
- causing fear or dread or terror; "the awful war"; "an awful risk"; "dire news"; "a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"; "the dread presence of the headmaster"; "polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"; "a dreadful storm"; "a fearful howling"; "horrendous explosions shook the city"; "a terrible curse" [syn: awful, direful, dread(a), dreaded, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, frightening, horrendous, horrific, terrible]
- Dire \Dire\, a. [Compar. Direr; superl. Direst.] [L. dirus;
of uncertain origin.]
- Ill-boding; portentous; as, dire omens.
- Evil in great degree; dreadful; dismal; horrible; terrible; lamentable. Dire was the tossing, deep the groans. --Milton. Gorgons and hydras and chimeras dire. --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dire'
- Dire: As a location, Dire may refer to: Diré, Mali Dire (woreda) – one of the 180 woredas in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia.
- Dire (woreda): Dire is one of the 180 woreda s in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia . Located in the southern part of the Borena Zone , Dire is bordered on ...
- Dire Straits: Dire Straits were a British rock band who emerged during the post-punk era of the late 1970s, active between 1977 and 1995. ...
- Dire Dawa: Dire Dawa is one of two chartered cities (astedader akabibi) in Ethiopia (the other being the capital, Addis Ababa ). This chartered ...
- Dire Wraith: The Dire Wraiths are a fictional extraterrestrial species published by Marvel Comics . The Dire Wraiths first appeared in Rom 1 (1979 ...
- Dire Wolf: The Dire Wolf, Canis dirus, is an extinct carnivorous mammal of the genus Canis , and was most common in North America and South ...
- Voir dire: Voir dire (ˈvwɑr ˈdɪər) is a phrase in law which comes from the Anglo-Norman language . In origin it refers to an oath to tell the truth ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dire'
Dire Sample Sentences in News
- Dire Straits Keyboardist Eyes New Music
If Alan Clark has his way, there will be more Dire Straits music in the future -- though not necessarily by Dire Straits.Clark, the group's... Read more on this news related to 'Dire'
- Dire consequences predicted over Gaza
Dire consequences are being predicted by Iran, if the international community doesn't step in over the conflict in Gaza Read more on this news related to 'Dire'
- Sudan aid mission finds 'dire' conditions in Darfur town
Aid workers in Sudan have found dire conditions after entering a town in war-torn Darfur that had been off-limits to most of them for three years, the United Nations said Thursday. It said government restrictions had prevented humanitarian workers from accessing the mountainous Jebel Marra region in central Darfur where a rebellion began 11 years ago. The only exc Read more on this news related to 'Dire'