Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dire'
Dire Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- fraught with extreme danger; nearly hopeless; "a desperate illness"; "on all fronts the Allies were in a desperate situation due to lack of materiel"- G.C.Marshall; "a dire emergency" [syn: desperate]
- causing fear or dread or terror; "the awful war"; "an awful risk"; "dire news"; "a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"; "the dread presence of the headmaster"; "polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"; "a dreadful storm"; "a fearful howling"; "horrendous explosions shook the city"; "a terrible curse" [syn: awful, direful, dread(a), dreaded, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, frightening, horrendous, horrific, terrible]
- Dire \Dire\, a. [Compar. Direr; superl. Direst.] [L. dirus;
of uncertain origin.]
- Ill-boding; portentous; as, dire omens.
- Evil in great degree; dreadful; dismal; horrible; terrible; lamentable. Dire was the tossing, deep the groans. --Milton. Gorgons and hydras and chimeras dire. --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dire'
- Dire: As a location, Dire may refer to: Diré, Mali Dire (woreda) – one of the 180 woredas in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia.
- Dire (woreda): Dire is one of the 180 woreda s in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia . Located in the southern part of the Borena Zone , Dire is bordered on ...
- Dire Straits: Dire Straits were a British rock band who emerged during the post-punk era of the late 1970s, active between 1977 and 1995. ...
- Dire Dawa: Dire Dawa is one of two chartered cities (astedader akabibi) in Ethiopia (the other being the capital, Addis Ababa ). This chartered ...
- Dire Wraith: The Dire Wraiths are a fictional extraterrestrial species published by Marvel Comics . The Dire Wraiths first appeared in Rom 1 (1979 ...
- Dire Wolf: The Dire Wolf, Canis dirus, is an extinct carnivorous mammal of the genus Canis , and was most common in North America and South ...
- Voir dire: Voir dire (ˈvwɑr ˈdɪər) is a phrase in law which comes from the Anglo-Norman language . In origin it refers to an oath to tell the truth ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dire'