Dire Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- causing fear or dread or terror; "the awful war"; "an awful risk"; "dire news"; "a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"; "the dread presence of the headmaster"; "polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"; "a dreadful storm"; "
- fraught with extreme danger; nearly hopeless; "a desperate illness"; "on all fronts the Allies were in a desperate situation due to lack of materiel"- G.C.Marshall; "a dire emergency"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dire'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dire'
- Dire: As a location, Dire may refer to: Diré, Mali Dire (woreda) – one of the 180 woredas in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia.
- Dire (woreda): Dire is one of the woreda s in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia . Miyu was separated from Dire woreda. Dire is bordered on the south by ...
- Dire Straits: Dire Straits were-- a British rock band, formed in 1977 by Mark Knopfler (lead vocals and lead guitar), his younger brother David Knopfler ...
- Dire Dawa: Dire Dawa (ድሬ ዳዋ, Dirre Dhawaa, lit. " "Place of Remedy Dir Dhabe, meaning "Limit of the Dir) is one of two chartered cities (astedader ...
- Dire wolf: The dire wolf (Canis dirus "fearsome dog") is an extinct carnivorous mammal of the genus Canis , roughly the size of the extant gray ...
- Dire Wraith: The Dire Wraiths are a fictional extraterrestrial species published by Marvel Comics . The Dire Wraiths first appeared in Rom 1 (1979 ...
- Voir dire: Voir dire. (ˈ | v | w | ɑr | _ | ˌ | d | i | ər is a legal phrase that refers to a variety of procedures connected with jury trials. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dire'
Dire Sample Sentences in News
- Dire state of wires in Belman - A disaster waiting to happen?
Dire state of wires in Belman - A disaster waiting to happen? Read more on this news related to 'Dire'
- Fed to Stress-Test Banks for Dire Stock, Housing Scenarios
The Federal Reserve said it will scrutinize how 31 large U.S. banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Citigroup Inc., would respond to a plunge in equity and housing prices and a sharp downturn in the global economy. Read more on this news related to 'Dire'
- Icahn: Taj Mahal seems a goner
ATLANTIC CITY - Carl Icahn says the struggling Trump Taj Mahal casino hotel "will almost certainly close." The would-be purchaser said Thursday night that the casino's finances are dire. Read more on this news related to 'Dire'