Dilute Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture; "cut bourbon"
- corrupt, debase, or make impure by adding a foreign or inferior substance; often by replacing valuable ingredients with inferior ones; "adulterate liquor"
- reduced in strength or concentration or quality or purity; "diluted alcohol"; "a dilute solution"; "dilute acetic acid"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dilute'?
Dilute Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
In chemistry, concentration is how much of a substance is mixed with another substance.
The substance that is dissolved (shown as the red dye in the example) is known as the solute. The substance in which the solute is dissolved (shown as the water in the example) is known as the solvent.
To concentrate a solution, one must add more solute, or reduce the amount of solvent. To dilute a solution, one must add more solvent, or reduce the amount of solute.
Words and phrases related to 'Dilute'
'Dilute' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dilute'
Dilute Sample Sentences in News
- Distractions dilute drama series’ impact
ABS-CBN’s third and last “Christmaserye,” “Exchange Gift,” recently concluded its run, giving fans of KC Concepcion and Paulo Avelino a special surge, because the abridged TV series featured the first screen outing for their new “real-and-reel” love team. Read more on this news related to 'Dilute'
- Mega divestment in Coal India on Jan 30
The Centre will dilute 5 per cent of its stake in Coal India on Friday and offer up to 5 per cent additionally under a ‘greenshoe option’. The Government proposes to sell over 31.58 crore shares in the PSU with an option to sell an equal number of additional shares. Read more on this news related to 'Dilute'
- Supreme Court may dilute EEOC’s aggressive legal strategy
The U.S. Supreme Court appears highly likely to take some degree of judicial review of whether the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission must seek conciliation with employers before suing them for violating federal law. Read more on this news related to 'Dilute'