Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Diffidence'
n : lack of self-confidence [syn: self-doubt, self-distrust]
- Diffidence \Dif"fi*dence\, n. [L. diffidentia.]
- The state of being diffident; distrust; want of confidence; doubt of the power, ability, or disposition of others. [Archaic] That affliction grew heavy upon me, and weighed me down even to a diffidence of God's mercy. --Donne.
- Distrust of one's self or one's own powers; lack of self-reliance; modesty; modest reserve; bashfulness. It is good to speak on such questions with diffidence. --Macaulay. An Englishman's habitual diffidence and awkwardness of address. --W. Irving. Syn: Humility; bashfulness; distrust; suspicion; doubt; fear; timidity; apprehension; hesitation. See Humility, and Bashfulness.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Diffidence'
In humans, shyness (also called diffidence) is a social psychology term used to describe the feeling of apprehension, lack of comfort, or awkwardness experienced when a person is in proximity to, approaching, or being approached by other people, especially in new situations or with unfamiliar people. Shyness may come from genetic traits, the environment in which a person is raised and personal experiences. There are many degrees of shyness. Stronger forms are usually referred to as social anxiety or social phobia. Shyness may merely be a personality trait or can occur at certain stages of development in children. Shyness has also a strong cultural dimension.
In biology, shy generally means "tends to avoid human beings"; See crypsis. Shyness in gorillas manifests with ostensibly similar behavioral traits, but differs wholly from humans in cognition and motivation.[See more about Diffidence at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Diffidence'
Diffidence Sample Sentences in News
- How India played hardball with China
After initial diffidence and a sense of confusion, India had to play diplomatic hardball to get China to withdraw its troops from Depsang Bulge in eastern Ladakh, which officials claimed was secured without giving any concessions to China, even though New Delhi has agreed to bring down a structure that was erected as “retaliation” to the Chinese incursion. Read more on this news related to 'Diffidence'
- 5 free things in Portland, from parks to markets
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Two decades ago, the city of Portland's Yellow Bike Project put hundreds of canary-colored two-wheelers on the streets for public use. It was an earnest effort, utterly without bashfulness or diffidence. Then, of course, human nature took over and the bikes were variously vandalized, stolen whole or chopped up and sold for parts. Read more on this news related to 'Diffidence'
- 5 free things to see in Portland, from parks and roses to farmers markets
PORTLAND, Ore. - Two decades ago, the city of Portland's Yellow Bike Project put hundreds of canary-colored two-wheelers on the streets for public use. It was an earnest effort, utterly without bashfulness or diffidence. Then, of course, human nature took over and the bikes were variously vandalized, stolen whole or chopped up and sold for parts. Read more on this news related to 'Diffidence'