Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
n : a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words
with information about them [syn: lexicon]
- Dictionary \Dic"tion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Dictionaries. [Cf. F.
dictionnaire. See Diction.]
- A book containing the words of a language, arranged alphabetically, with explanations of their meanings; a lexicon; a vocabulary; a wordbook. I applied myself to the perusal of our writers; and noting whatever might be of use to ascertain or illustrate any word or phrase, accumulated in time the materials of a dictionary. --Johnson.
- Hence, a book containing the words belonging to any system or province of knowledge, arranged alphabetically; as, a dictionary of medicine or of botany; a biographical dictionary.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
A dictionary, also referred to as a lexicon, wordbook, or vocabulary, is a collection of words in one or more specific languages, often listed alphabetically, with usage information, definitions, etymologies, phonetics, pronunciations, and other information; According to Nielsen 2008 a dictionary may be regarded as a lexicographical product that is characterised by three significant features: (1) it has been prepared for one or more functions; (2) it contains data that have been selected for the purpose of fulfilling those functions; and (3) its lexicographic structures link and establish relationships between the data so that they can meet the needs of users and fulfil the functions of the dictionary.
Further, each word may have multiple meanings. Some dictionaries include each separate meaning in the order of most common usage while others list definitions in historical order, with the oldest usage first.[See more about Dictionary at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dictionary'
'Dictionary' in famous quotation sentence
* The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work. - Vince Lombardi
* The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop. - Edwin Conklin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dictionary'
Dictionary Sample Sentences in News
- Dictionary completed after 101 years
A dictionary of medieval Latin reaches its defining moment after 101 years of gathering entries. Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Nouveaux riches and pollutants in new Chinese dictionary
A new Chinese dictionary backed by the national language regulator offers a glimpse into the social and environmental concerns of the citizenry, adding nearly 100 phrases to the lexicon, a report said Thursday. The additions to the third edition of the Standard Dictionary of Modern Chinese "underscore characteristics of the time", publishing house Foreig Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Marijuana Slang Dictionary Open To Public Submissions
Ganjapreneur, a website dedicated to entrepreneurs in the cannabis industry, has announced a marijuana slang dictionary that is open to public submissions. (PRWeb September 16, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/marijuana/slang/prweb12170830.htm Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'