Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
n : a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words
with information about them [syn: lexicon]
- Dictionary \Dic"tion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Dictionaries. [Cf. F.
dictionnaire. See Diction.]
- A book containing the words of a language, arranged alphabetically, with explanations of their meanings; a lexicon; a vocabulary; a wordbook. I applied myself to the perusal of our writers; and noting whatever might be of use to ascertain or illustrate any word or phrase, accumulated in time the materials of a dictionary. --Johnson.
- Hence, a book containing the words belonging to any system or province of knowledge, arranged alphabetically; as, a dictionary of medicine or of botany; a biographical dictionary.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
A dictionary, also referred to as a lexicon, wordbook, or vocabulary, is a collection of words in one or more specific languages, often listed alphabetically, with usage information, definitions, etymologies, phonetics, pronunciations, and other information; According to Nielsen 2008 a dictionary may be regarded as a lexicographical product that is characterised by three significant features: (1) it has been prepared for one or more functions; (2) it contains data that have been selected for the purpose of fulfilling those functions; and (3) its lexicographic structures link and establish relationships between the data so that they can meet the needs of users and fulfil the functions of the dictionary.
Further, each word may have multiple meanings. Some dictionaries include each separate meaning in the order of most common usage while others list definitions in historical order, with the oldest usage first.[See more about Dictionary at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dictionary'
'Dictionary' in famous quotation sentence
* The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work. - Vince Lombardi
* The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop. - Edwin Conklin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dictionary'
Dictionary Sample Sentences in News
- Totes Amazeballs! Chambers Dictionary Adds 1000 New Words
Chambers Dictionary has included over 1000 new words into its latest edition, including totes amazeballs, hipsters, and sexting, reported the Independent on Monday. The United Kingdom’s top selling unabridged dictionary has added a number of new words to its pages this year, including YOLO (you only live once), MILF (mom I’d like to F***) and […] Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Sexting makes it into Chambers dictionary
The latest edition of Chambers Dictionary has made the definition of ‘marriage’ gender-neutral and several words used by the cast of The Only Way is Essex (pictured) are enshrined in the book. Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Hello Kitty Dictionary Filled With Rainbows, Cupcakes, And Murder
Samantha Rawlins, 27, bought a Hello Kitty dictionary for her daughter, and was shocked to see what was inside its pages. Hello Kitty has been around since 1974, and little girls all over the world have been in love with the fluffy cat ever since. Several Hello Kitty products can be found everywhere — from Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'