Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
n : a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words
with information about them [syn: lexicon]
- Dictionary \Dic"tion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Dictionaries. [Cf. F.
dictionnaire. See Diction.]
- A book containing the words of a language, arranged alphabetically, with explanations of their meanings; a lexicon; a vocabulary; a wordbook. I applied myself to the perusal of our writers; and noting whatever might be of use to ascertain or illustrate any word or phrase, accumulated in time the materials of a dictionary. --Johnson.
- Hence, a book containing the words belonging to any system or province of knowledge, arranged alphabetically; as, a dictionary of medicine or of botany; a biographical dictionary.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
A dictionary, also referred to as a lexicon, wordbook, or vocabulary, is a collection of words in one or more specific languages, often listed alphabetically, with usage information, definitions, etymologies, phonetics, pronunciations, and other information; According to Nielsen 2008 a dictionary may be regarded as a lexicographical product that is characterised by three significant features: (1) it has been prepared for one or more functions; (2) it contains data that have been selected for the purpose of fulfilling those functions; and (3) its lexicographic structures link and establish relationships between the data so that they can meet the needs of users and fulfil the functions of the dictionary.
Further, each word may have multiple meanings. Some dictionaries include each separate meaning in the order of most common usage while others list definitions in historical order, with the oldest usage first.[See more about Dictionary at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dictionary'
'Dictionary' in famous quotation sentence
* The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work. - Vince Lombardi
* The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop. - Edwin Conklin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dictionary'
Dictionary Sample Sentences in News
- The Definition of Success: Dictionary.com Now Includes Free English Learner's Dictionary on Android
-- The popular Dictionary.com Android app now features a robust Learner's Dictionary, with vocabulary-mastering tools needed to achieve success in any school or professional field OAKLAND, Calif., March 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- "If you want to surpass your rivals," The Harvard Business Review wrote in 2012, commanding the global language of English is Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Use mobile dictionary apps even when offline
The Merriam-Webster and Dictionary.com apps for Android and iOS can be used even when your device is offline. Originally posted at How To Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Oxford English Dictionary reveals how World War One trenches shaped language
According to new research, soldiers made up words which are still used today, including 'plonker' and 'cushy'. Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'