Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
n : a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words
with information about them [syn: lexicon]
- Dictionary \Dic"tion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Dictionaries. [Cf. F.
dictionnaire. See Diction.]
- A book containing the words of a language, arranged alphabetically, with explanations of their meanings; a lexicon; a vocabulary; a wordbook. I applied myself to the perusal of our writers; and noting whatever might be of use to ascertain or illustrate any word or phrase, accumulated in time the materials of a dictionary. --Johnson.
- Hence, a book containing the words belonging to any system or province of knowledge, arranged alphabetically; as, a dictionary of medicine or of botany; a biographical dictionary.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
A dictionary, also referred to as a lexicon, wordbook, or vocabulary, is a collection of words in one or more specific languages, often listed alphabetically, with usage information, definitions, etymologies, phonetics, pronunciations, and other information; According to Nielsen 2008 a dictionary may be regarded as a lexicographical product that is characterised by three significant features: (1) it has been prepared for one or more functions; (2) it contains data that have been selected for the purpose of fulfilling those functions; and (3) its lexicographic structures link and establish relationships between the data so that they can meet the needs of users and fulfil the functions of the dictionary.
Further, each word may have multiple meanings. Some dictionaries include each separate meaning in the order of most common usage while others list definitions in historical order, with the oldest usage first.[See more about Dictionary at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dictionary'
'Dictionary' in famous quotation sentence
* The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work. - Vince Lombardi
* The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop. - Edwin Conklin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dictionary'
Dictionary Sample Sentences in News
- Dictionary of American Regional English reboots for new generation
» TAKE THE QUIZ: How well do you know Wisconsin words? » COMPARE ONLINE: Wisconsin survey responses, 1965-1970 Lake Winnebago ice piles up along the shore Yard MD Tip: Dealing with winter burn on evergreen trees and shrubs Rep. Petri discusses reasons behind retirement plans Could this be the worst 'Wheel of Fortune' player ever? Kayaker shot after seein Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Scrabble Dictionary Adds New Fan-Voted Word
The makers of the popular board game Scrabble have added a new word to the official player’s dictionary. Geocache beat out 15 other nominated words in the Scrabble Word Showdown to become the winning word that will be included in the upcoming fifth edition of Merriam-Webster’s... Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Rare dictionary to be kept in UK
London's British Library saves a "crucial" 500-year-old English-Latin dictionary at the 11th hour after it was sold to an overseas buyer at auction. Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'