Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
n : a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words
with information about them [syn: lexicon]
- Dictionary \Dic"tion*a*ry\, n.; pl. Dictionaries. [Cf. F.
dictionnaire. See Diction.]
- A book containing the words of a language, arranged alphabetically, with explanations of their meanings; a lexicon; a vocabulary; a wordbook. I applied myself to the perusal of our writers; and noting whatever might be of use to ascertain or illustrate any word or phrase, accumulated in time the materials of a dictionary. --Johnson.
- Hence, a book containing the words belonging to any system or province of knowledge, arranged alphabetically; as, a dictionary of medicine or of botany; a biographical dictionary.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dictionary'
A dictionary, also referred to as a lexicon, wordbook, or vocabulary, is a collection of words in one or more specific languages, often listed alphabetically, with usage information, definitions, etymologies, phonetics, pronunciations, and other information; According to Nielsen 2008 a dictionary may be regarded as a lexicographical product that is characterised by three significant features: (1) it has been prepared for one or more functions; (2) it contains data that have been selected for the purpose of fulfilling those functions; and (3) its lexicographic structures link and establish relationships between the data so that they can meet the needs of users and fulfil the functions of the dictionary.
Further, each word may have multiple meanings. Some dictionaries include each separate meaning in the order of most common usage while others list definitions in historical order, with the oldest usage first.[See more about Dictionary at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dictionary'
'Dictionary' in famous quotation sentence
* The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work. - Vince Lombardi
* The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop. - Edwin Conklin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dictionary'
Dictionary Sample Sentences in News
- Merriam-Webster Announces "Science" As 2013 Word Of The Year
SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Dec. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Merriam-Webster Inc., America's leading dictionary publisher, has announced its top ten Words of the Year for 2013. This year's list was compiled by analyzing the top lookups in the online dictionary at Merriam-Webster.com and focusing on the words that showed the greatest increase in lookups this year as co Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Apple takes heat over insensitive dictionary entry for 'gay'
Apple's stock Dictionary app is in the spotlight this week after a Massachusetts teen took issue with a derogatory definition of the word "gay." But not every Mac shows the same definition — and, of course, Apple didn't write the entry, it just licensed it. Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'
- Merriam-Webster's word of the year isn't selfie, it's science
Rating its 10 most-searched-for words, the online dictionary shows that people are interested in more than just buzz-worthy semantics. Originally posted at News - Internet & Media Read more on this news related to 'Dictionary'