Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Devote'
- give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause; "She committed herself to the work of God"; "give one's talents to a good cause"; "consecrate your life to the church" [syn: give, dedicate, consecrate, commit]
- dedicate; "give thought to"; "give priority to"; "pay attention to" [syn: give, pay]
- set aside or apart for a specific purpose or use; "this land was devoted to mining"
- Devote \De*vote"\, a. [L. devotus, p. p.]
Devoted; addicted; devout. [Obs.] --Milton.
- Devote \De*vote"\, n.
A devotee. [Obs.] --Sir E. Sandys.
- Devote \De*vote"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Devoted; p. pr. & vb.
n. Devoting.] [L. devotus, p. p. of devovere; de + vovere
to vow. See Vow, and cf. Devout, Devow.]
- To appropriate by vow; to set apart or dedicate by a solemn act; to consecrate; also, to consign over; to doom; to evil; to devote one to destruction; the city was devoted to the flames. No devoted thing that a man shall devote unto the Lord . . . shall be sold or redeemed. --Lev. xxvii. 28.
- To execrate; to curse. [Obs.]
- To give up wholly; to addict; to direct the attention of wholly or compound; to attach; -- often with a reflexive pronoun; as, to devote one's self to science, to one's friends, to piety, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Devote'
Saint Devota (French: Sainte Dévote; died ca. 303 AD) is the patron saint of Corsica and Monaco. She was killed during the persecutions of Diocletian and Maximian. She is sometimes identified with another Corsican saint named Julia, who was described in Latin as Deo devota ("devoted to God"). The description was misinterpreted as a proper name.
Tradition holds that she was a Corsican woman born around 283 AD at Mariana. A young virgin, she had decided to devote herself fully to the service of God. By order of the prefect Barbarus, she was imprisoned and tortured for her faith. Her mouth was crushed, and her body was dragged through rocks and brambles. She was martyred at Mariana by being racked or stoned to death.
After her death, the governor of the province ordered for her body to be burnt to prevent its veneration. However, it was saved from the flames by Christians. Her body was placed on a boat bound for Africa. Gratianus (Graziano), the boat's pilot; Benedict (Benenato), a priest; and Apollinaris, his deacon; believed it would receive proper Christian burial there. However, a storm overtook the boat and a dove flew out from the mouth of the saint. The dove guided the boat to present-day Les Gaumates, today part of the Principality of Monaco, where a chapel dedicated to Saint George already stood.[See more about Devote at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Devote'
'Devote' in famous quotation sentence
* This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. - George Bernard Shaw
* If a man withdraws his mind from the love of beauty, and applies it as sincerely to the love of the virtuous if, in serving his parents, he can exert his utmost strength if, in serving his prince, he can devote his life if in his intercourse with his friends, his words are sincere - although men say that he has not learned, I will certainly say that he has. - Confucius
Click here for more related quotations on 'Devote'
Devote Sample Sentences in News
- Devote quality time to priority bills, Palace asks lawmakers, days after tiff between senators
The Philippine government asked members of its legislature to devote âquality time to the enactment of priority legislationâ on Friday, two days after a senatorâfamous for her wisecracksâlaunched a tirade against a colleague, calling him a âsex addict,â among others. Read more on this news related to 'Devote'
- Coloma to solons: Devote time on lawmaking
Solons must focus on lawmaking, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said Friday, days after senators Miriam Defensor Santiago and Juan Ponce Enrile attacked each other on their privilege speeches. (Photo from PCOO website)[/caption] "We will just say that we would like Congress to be able to devote quality time t Read more on this news related to 'Devote'
- Artistic photographer Daniel Sliz redefines Prague with fine art chronicles, last attempted 65 years ago
Few fine art photographers devote a decade of their life to capture a city’s culture and ancestry with such utmost clarity and precision. The Prague Collection is the ultimate evidence, created by Canadian artistic photographer Daniel Sliz, presented in five conceptually designed editions of sixty canvas and fine art prints . Read more on this news related to 'Devote'