Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Detestable'
Detestable Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- offensive to the mind; "an abhorrent deed"; "the obscene massacre at Wounded Knee"; "morally repugnant customs"; "repulsive behavior"; "the most repulsive character in recent novels" [syn: abhorrent, obscene, repugnant, repulsive]
- unequivocally detestable; "abominable treatment of prisoners"; "detestable vices"; "execrable crimes"; "consequences odious to those you govern"- Edmund Burke [syn: abominable, execrable, odious]
- Detestable \De*test"a*ble\, a. [L. detestabilis: cf. F.
Worthy of being detested; abominable; extremely hateful; very
odious; deserving abhorrence; as, detestable vices.
Thou hast defiled my sanctuary will all thy detestable
things, and with all thine abominations. --Ezek. v. 11.
Syn: Abominable; odious; execrable; abhorred.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Detestable'
Words and phrases related to 'Detestable'
Detestable Sample Sentences in News
- Everything that's detestable about Washington and Hollywood rolled into one terrible video
There are more unkind things to be said about Hollywood and Washington than we care to list. Thriving on corruption, sleazy backhanded deals and dishonest tactics, both play host to hordes of navel gazers who struggle like Atlas to shoulder the weight of comically inflated egos. Read more on this news related to 'Detestable'
- Life-long lessons from my dad’s ‘Summer School’
By David Manzo I loved working with my dad, but I hated a summer job he gave me. He owned a small butcher shop. At his store the last person hired— “the new guy”— got the worst jobs and the boss’s son was not exempt. The operation had changed from when he first started. Refrigeration and stainless steel had replaced ice blocks and sawdust. There remained Read more on this news related to 'Detestable'