Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Detestable'
Detestable Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- offensive to the mind; "an abhorrent deed"; "the obscene massacre at Wounded Knee"; "morally repugnant customs"; "repulsive behavior"; "the most repulsive character in recent novels" [syn: abhorrent, obscene, repugnant, repulsive]
- unequivocally detestable; "abominable treatment of prisoners"; "detestable vices"; "execrable crimes"; "consequences odious to those you govern"- Edmund Burke [syn: abominable, execrable, odious]
- Detestable \De*test"a*ble\, a. [L. detestabilis: cf. F.
Worthy of being detested; abominable; extremely hateful; very
odious; deserving abhorrence; as, detestable vices.
Thou hast defiled my sanctuary will all thy detestable
things, and with all thine abominations. --Ezek. v. 11.
Syn: Abominable; odious; execrable; abhorred.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Detestable'
Words and phrases related to 'Detestable'
Detestable Sample Sentences in News
- Premiere: Download The Soul Rebels "504" (MiiM Remix)
The Soul Rebels are rebelling against one, albeit detestable thing: starchy paint-by-numbers music. As the New Orleans collective gears up to release their eclectic Power = Power mixtape on December 3 as a free download, the eight-member band has dropped a few aural treats along the way. These include: a remix of their cover of Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky,” a son Read more on this news related to 'Detestable'
- Disgust at 'creep shot' pictures of city women on Twitter
A “nasty little” pervert is stalking women in Bradford to take so-called “creep shot” photographs – which he is then posting on the social networking site Twitter. The images have sparked anger and disgust and led to police considering legal action against the man behind the photographs and the “detestable” site pages. “Creep shots” are a recent Read more on this news related to 'Detestable'