Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Detestable'
Detestable Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- offensive to the mind; "an abhorrent deed"; "the obscene massacre at Wounded Knee"; "morally repugnant customs"; "repulsive behavior"; "the most repulsive character in recent novels" [syn: abhorrent, obscene, repugnant, repulsive]
- unequivocally detestable; "abominable treatment of prisoners"; "detestable vices"; "execrable crimes"; "consequences odious to those you govern"- Edmund Burke [syn: abominable, execrable, odious]
- Detestable \De*test"a*ble\, a. [L. detestabilis: cf. F.
Worthy of being detested; abominable; extremely hateful; very
odious; deserving abhorrence; as, detestable vices.
Thou hast defiled my sanctuary will all thy detestable
things, and with all thine abominations. --Ezek. v. 11.
Syn: Abominable; odious; execrable; abhorred.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Detestable'
Words and phrases related to 'Detestable'
Detestable Sample Sentences in News
- John Deakin: champagne and sulphur in Soho
He may have been a nasty, detestable person but John Deakin's portraits of Soho characters and artists changed photography The boozer who bottled bohemia: John Deakin's photographs of bygone Soho in pictures Continue reading... Read more on this news related to 'Detestable'
- Letter: Another Distorted Cartoon
Another detestable cartoon by the Obama-hater, Glen McCoy, this one even more fact challenged than usual. Putin, the muscled bully, has terrified Little Lord Fauntleroy Obama? Russia’s economy was in distress and Putin’s popularity in steep decline before Sochi and Crimea. Read more on this news related to 'Detestable'
- 2015 Mini Paceman: This Is It
The Mini Paceman just got a refresh, and just like the last one, I'm sure we'll find it to be absolutely detestable okay. And good news, for people that like their cars to have the word Mini on the front and yet look like oversize steroidal pillows everywhere else, it looks pretty much the same. Read more... Read more on this news related to 'Detestable'