Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Determined'
- characterized by great determination; "a struggle against a determined enemy"
- having been learned or found or determined especially by investigation [ant: undetermined]
- devoting full strength and concentrated attention to; "made continued and determined efforts to find and destroy enemy headquarters"
- determined or decided upon as by an authority; "date and place are already determined"; "the dictated terms of surrender"; "the time set for the launching" [syn: dictated, set]
- strongly motivated to succeed [syn: compulsive, driven]
- Determine \De*ter"mine\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Determined; p.
pr. & vb. n. Determining.] [F. d['e]terminer, L.
determinare, determinatum; de + terminare limit, terminus
limit. See Term.]
- To fix the boundaries of; to mark off and separate. [God] hath determined the times before appointed. --Acts xvii. 26.
- To set bounds to; to fix the determination of; to limit; to bound; to bring to an end; to finish. The knowledge of men hitherto hath been determined by the view or sight. --Bacon. Now, where is he that will not stay so long Till his friend sickness hath determined me? --Shak.
- To fix the form or character of; to shape; to prescribe imperatively; to regulate; to settle. The character of the soul is determined by the character of its God. --J. Edwards. Something divinely beautiful . . . that at some time or other might influence or even determine her course of life. --W. Black.
- To fix the course of; to impel and direct; -- with a remoter object preceded by to; as, another's will determined me to this course.
- To ascertain definitely; to find out the specific character or name of; to assign to its true place in a system; as, to determine an unknown or a newly discovered plant or its name.
- To bring to a conclusion, as a question or controversy; to settle authoritative or judicial sentence; to decide; as, the court has determined the cause.
- To resolve on; to have a fixed intention of; also, to cause to come to a conclusion or decision; to lead; as,
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Determined'
In set theory, a branch of mathematics, determinacy is the study of under what circumstances one or the other player of a game must have a winning strategy, and the consequences of the existence of such strategies.
The first sort of game we shall consider is the two-player game of perfect information of length ω, in which the players play natural numbers.
In this sort of game we consider two players, often named I and II, who take turns playing natural numbers, with I going first. They play "forever"; that is, their plays are indexed by the natural numbers. When they're finished, a predetermined condition decides which player won. This condition need not be specified by any definable rule; it may simply be an arbitrary (infinitely long) lookup table saying who has won given a particular sequence of plays.[See more about Determined at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Determined'
'Determined' in famous quotation sentence
* The determined scholar and the man of virtue will not seek to live at the expense of injuring their virtue. They will even sacrifice their lives to preserve their virtue complete. - Confucius
* The miracle, or the power, that elevates the few is to be found in their industry, application, and perseverance under the prompting of a brave, determined spirit. - Mark Twain
Click here for more related quotations on 'Determined'
Determined Sample Sentences in News
- Kerry 'determined' to get Middle East peace deal
JERUSALEM (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said he remained "committed" and "determined" to reaching a Middle East peace deal, but said in an interview aired Thursday that he understood Israeli fears and skepticism of its outcome. Read more on this news related to 'Determined'
- Rusike looking to make his mark
Matthew Rusike is determined to force his way into Kaizer Chiefs' starting line-up as he looks to make his mark after an injury lay-off. Read more on this news related to 'Determined'
- Police determined over 2009 murder
The detective leading an inquiry into the brutal murder of a Lincolnshire man in 2009 says he remains determined to bring his killer to justice. Read more on this news related to 'Determined'