Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Desultory'
adj : marked by lack of definite plan or regularity or purpose;
jumping from one thing to another; "desultory
thoughts"; "the desultory conversation characteristic
of cocktail parties"
- Desultory \Des"ul*to*ry\, a. [L. desultorius, fr. desultor a
leaper, fr. desilire, desultum, to leap down; de + salire to
leap. See Saltation.]
- Leaping or skipping about. [Obs.] I shot at it [a bird], but it was so desultory that I missed my aim. --Gilbert White.
- Jumping, or passing, from one thing or subject to another, without order or rational connection; without logical sequence; disconnected; immethodical; aimless; as, desultory minds. --Atterbury. He [Goldsmith] knew nothing accurately; his reading had been desultory. --Macaulay.
- Out of course; by the way; as a digression; not connected with the subject; as, a desultory remark. Syn: Rambling; roving; immethodical; discursive; inconstant; unsettled; cursory; slight; hasty; loose.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Desultory'
Desultory was part of the first wave of Swedish death metal bands, alongside Entombed, Dismember, and others. Into Eternity, their Metal Blade debut following a lesser-known EP release, is standard for the genre, energetic and forceful, straddling the line between the more brutal American death style and the melodic Gothenburg variety.
Though not groundbreaking, it was considered a fine album by fans. By most accounts, their followup, Bitterness, is more of the same, but 1996's Swallow the Snake takes quite a different approach, dropping the death vocals (and, for the most part, death metal itself), for a more heavy rock sound likened by some to Soundgarden. Having been dropped by Metal Blade, they disappeared, but the three members from the Snake album recruited a new fourth member and, continuing the progression from that last album, continued on as the rock act Zebulon, releasing one EP and 2 LPs.[See more about Desultory at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Desultory'
Desultory Sample Sentences in News
- Denver Nuggets hang on to beat Minnesota Timberwolves, now 4-4
Given the way the Nuggets' season started — with a three-game losing streak and desultory play — this is at least a semi-significant step. Read more on this news related to 'Desultory'
- Nuggets get to .500 with win over T-wolves
DENVER -- Given the way the Nuggets' regular-season season started -- with a three-game losing streak and desultory play -- this is at least is a semi-significant step. Read more on this news related to 'Desultory'