Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Desultory'
adj : marked by lack of definite plan or regularity or purpose;
jumping from one thing to another; "desultory
thoughts"; "the desultory conversation characteristic
of cocktail parties"
- Desultory \Des"ul*to*ry\, a. [L. desultorius, fr. desultor a
leaper, fr. desilire, desultum, to leap down; de + salire to
leap. See Saltation.]
- Leaping or skipping about. [Obs.] I shot at it [a bird], but it was so desultory that I missed my aim. --Gilbert White.
- Jumping, or passing, from one thing or subject to another, without order or rational connection; without logical sequence; disconnected; immethodical; aimless; as, desultory minds. --Atterbury. He [Goldsmith] knew nothing accurately; his reading had been desultory. --Macaulay.
- Out of course; by the way; as a digression; not connected with the subject; as, a desultory remark. Syn: Rambling; roving; immethodical; discursive; inconstant; unsettled; cursory; slight; hasty; loose.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Desultory'
Desultory was part of the first wave of Swedish death metal bands, alongside Entombed, Dismember, and others. Into Eternity, their Metal Blade debut following a lesser-known EP release, is standard for the genre, energetic and forceful, straddling the line between the more brutal American death style and the melodic Gothenburg variety.
Though not groundbreaking, it was considered a fine album by fans. By most accounts, their followup, Bitterness, is more of the same, but 1996's Swallow the Snake takes quite a different approach, dropping the death vocals (and, for the most part, death metal itself), for a more heavy rock sound likened by some to Soundgarden. Having been dropped by Metal Blade, they disappeared, but the three members from the Snake album recruited a new fourth member and, continuing the progression from that last album, continued on as the rock act Zebulon, releasing one EP and 2 LPs.[See more about Desultory at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Desultory'
Desultory Sample Sentences in News
- British hotel staff fail to shake Basil Fawlty image
It may be almost four decades since Fawlty Towers appeared on television but it seems British hotel staff are still struggling to lose a reputation for desultory service Read more on this news related to 'Desultory'
- The Mahatma on the periphery
Why has Penguin inflicted anew on Indian readers this desultory book on Mahatma Gandhi, quite the worst by a long chalk among the lot I have read? That may sound heretical in view of the many laudatory reviews excerpted on the flyleaf of this ... Read more on this news related to 'Desultory'
- After Desultory Effort in 7-1 Defeat to St. Lawrence, PU Men’s Hockey Shows Fight in 4-3 Loss to Clarkson
While it has been a rough winter for the Princeton University men’s hockey team as it has sunk to the cellar of the ECAC Hockey standings, the Tigers may have hit rock bottom last Friday when they hosted St. Lawrence. Read more on this news related to 'Desultory'