Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Destructive'
adj : causing destruction or much damage; "a policy that is
destructive to the economy"; "destructive criticism"
- Destructive \De*struc"tive\, n.
One who destroys; a radical reformer; a destructionist.
- Destructive \De*struc"tive\, a. [L. destructivus: cf. F.
Causing destruction; tending to bring about ruin, death, or
devastation; ruinous; fatal; productive of serious evil;
mischievous; pernicious; -- often with of or to; as,
intemperance is destructive of health; evil examples are
destructive to the morals of youth.
Time's destructive power. --Wordsworth.
Destructive distillation. See Distillation.
Destructive sorties(Logic), a process of reasoning which
involves the denial of the first of a series of dependent
propositions as a consequence of the denial of the last; a
species of reductio ad absurdum. --Whately.
Syn: Mortal; deadly; poisonous; fatal; ruinous; malignant;
baleful; pernicious; mischievous.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Destructive'
Destruction is the concept of damage to an object, system, or being. It may apply either as a measurable degree of damage up to and including a state beyond use or repair, or it may indicate a state wherein such damage is occurring and continuing. Something 'being destroyed' is in a 'state of destruction.'
Primary concepts include:
It may also refer to:[See more about Destructive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Destructive'
'Destructive' in famous quotation sentence
* Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. - Bertrand Russell
* Never feel self-pity, the most destructive emotion there is. How awful to be caught up in the terrible squirrel cage of self. - Millicent Fenwick
Click here for more related quotations on 'Destructive'
Destructive Sample Sentences in News
- Ranking the Least Destructive Couples on 'Scandal'
Let me just say, Fitz is manipulative, self-centered, cold and abusive. How many times do we have to watch Olivia say "No," only for Fitz to do whatever he was going to do anyway? Mellie walked in on Fitz molesting Olivia in the elevator, and both women still think he's decent. And then there was the scene last night when Mellie asked what it was l Read more on this news related to 'Destructive'
- Surviving a destructive spring break
constructive, destructive and home. Constructive is participating in a service project, or maybe going somewhere to do research or a project for a spring break-specific class. Read more on this news related to 'Destructive'
- See Non-Destructive Package Integrity Inspection Technologies At Interphex In PTI Booth 2053A
VeriPac’s core technology is based on the ASTM vacuum decay leak test method F2338-09 whichwas developed using VeriPac instruments. Case studies using VeriPac vacuum decay technologyhave proven it is an effective, beneficial non-destructive leak test method. This technology hasbeen widely recognized in published literature by the ASTM, PDA as well as the U.S. FD Read more on this news related to 'Destructive'