Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Destruction'
- termination by an act of destruction [syn: devastation]
- an event (or the result of an event) that completely destroys something [syn: demolition, wipeout]
- a final state; "he came to a bad end"; "the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end" [syn: end, death]
- Destruction \De*struc"tion\, n. [L. destructio: cf. F.
destruction. See Destroy.]
- The act of destroying; a tearing down; a bringing to naught; subversion; demolition; ruin; slaying; devastation. The Jews smote all their enemies with the stroke of the sword, and slaughter, and destruction. --Esth. ix. 5. 'Tis safer to be that which we destroy Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy. --Shak. Destruction of venerable establishment. --Hallam.
- The state of being destroyed, demolished, ruined, slain, or devastated. This town came to destruction. --Chaucer. Thou castedst them down into destruction. --Ps. lxxiii. 18.
- A destroying agency; a cause of ruin or of devastation; a destroyer. The destruction that wasteth at noonday. --Ps. xci. 6. Syn: Demolition; subversion; overthrow; desolation; extirpation; extinction; devastation; downfall; extermination; havoc; ruin.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Destruction'
Destruction is the concept of damage to an object, system, or being. It may apply either as a measurable degree of damage up to and including a state beyond use or repair, or it may indicate a state wherein such damage is occurring and continuing. Something 'being destroyed' is in a 'state of destruction.'
Primary concepts include:
It may also refer to:[See more about Destruction at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Destruction'
'Destruction' in famous quotation sentence
* People fo privilage will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. - John Kenneth Galbraith
* Power may be justly compared to a great river while kept within its bounds it is both beautiful and useful, but when it overflows its banks, it is then too impetuous to be stemmed it bears down all before it, and brings destruction and desolation wherever it goes. - Alexander Hamilton
Click here for more related quotations on 'Destruction'
Destruction Sample Sentences in News
- Syria advances chemical stockpile removal to meet June destruction deadline
JC Finley THE HAGUE, Netherlands, March 7 (UPI) -- The OPCW reported Friday on the "increasing pace" of Syrian chemical weapons destruction, but noted that acceleration must happen if June deadline to be met. Read more on this news related to 'Destruction'
- Alter NRG Corp. announces a joint launch of a turn-key hazardous waste destruction solution
Alter NRG Corp. announces a joint launch of a turn-key hazardous waste destruction solution Read more on this news related to 'Destruction'
- New glimpses of Godzilla in second full trailer
Godzilla has unveiled a full 3-minute trailer, giving a clearer look at the kaiju and the destruction it wreaks upon New York City. Read more on this news related to 'Destruction'