Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Destruction'
- termination by an act of destruction [syn: devastation]
- an event (or the result of an event) that completely destroys something [syn: demolition, wipeout]
- a final state; "he came to a bad end"; "the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end" [syn: end, death]
- Destruction \De*struc"tion\, n. [L. destructio: cf. F.
destruction. See Destroy.]
- The act of destroying; a tearing down; a bringing to naught; subversion; demolition; ruin; slaying; devastation. The Jews smote all their enemies with the stroke of the sword, and slaughter, and destruction. --Esth. ix. 5. 'Tis safer to be that which we destroy Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy. --Shak. Destruction of venerable establishment. --Hallam.
- The state of being destroyed, demolished, ruined, slain, or devastated. This town came to destruction. --Chaucer. Thou castedst them down into destruction. --Ps. lxxiii. 18.
- A destroying agency; a cause of ruin or of devastation; a destroyer. The destruction that wasteth at noonday. --Ps. xci. 6. Syn: Demolition; subversion; overthrow; desolation; extirpation; extinction; devastation; downfall; extermination; havoc; ruin.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Destruction'
Destruction is the concept of damage to an object, system, or being. It may apply either as a measurable degree of damage up to and including a state beyond use or repair, or it may indicate a state wherein such damage is occurring and continuing. Something 'being destroyed' is in a 'state of destruction.'
Primary concepts include:
It may also refer to:[See more about Destruction at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Destruction'
'Destruction' in famous quotation sentence
* People fo privilage will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. - John Kenneth Galbraith
* Power may be justly compared to a great river while kept within its bounds it is both beautiful and useful, but when it overflows its banks, it is then too impetuous to be stemmed it bears down all before it, and brings destruction and desolation wherever it goes. - Alexander Hamilton
Click here for more related quotations on 'Destruction'
Destruction Sample Sentences in News
- Ontario Premier Wynne seeks $2-million in libel suit against Hudak, Tory MPP
Premier says Conservatives have defamed her with false accusations related to destruction of documents Read more on this news related to 'Destruction'
- Destruction from Palm Sunday tornadoes vivid in display at county museum
BRISTOL — Susan Briner looked at photos of the destruction from the tornadoes that hit Elkhart County 49 years ago on Palm Sunday, April 11, 1965. Read more on this news related to 'Destruction'
- Ex vivo efficacy of C1s antibody as Complement inhibitor in cold agglutinin disease
( The Yates Network ) True North Therapeutics announced a publication demonstrating that the company's C1s antibody prevents the destruction of human red blood cells exposed to plasma samples of patients with a type of autoimmune hemolytic anemia. The article entitled 'TNT003, an inhibitor of the serine protease C1s, prevents complement activation induced Read more on this news related to 'Destruction'