Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Designed'
- planned or created in an artistic or skilled manner; "a beautifully designed dress"; "some Italian designed sandals have cushioning"
- done or made or performed with purpose and intent; "style...is more than the deliberate and designed creation"- Havelock Ellis; "games designed for all ages"; "well-designed houses" [syn: intentional] [ant: undesigned]
- carefully practiced or designed or premeditated; "a studied reply" [syn: designed(a), studied(a)]
- organized so as to give configuration to; "a magnet is surrounded by a configured field"; "a vehicle designed for rough terrain" [syn: configured]
- Design \De*sign"\ (?; 277), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Designed; p.
pr. & vb. n. Designing.] [F. d['e]signer to designate, cf.
F. dessiner to draw, dessin drawing, dessein a plan or
scheme; all, ultimately, from L. designare to designate; de-
+ signare to mark, mark out, signum mark, sign. See Sign,
and cf. Design, n., Designate.]
- To draw preliminary outline or main features of; to sketch for a pattern or model; to delineate; to trace out; to draw. --Dryden.
- To mark out and exhibit; to designate; to indicate; to show; to point out; to appoint. We shall see Justice design the victor's chivalry. --Shak. Meet me to-morrow where the master And this fraternity shall design. --Beau. & Fl.
- To create or produce, as a work of art; to form a plan or scheme of; to form in idea; to invent; to project; to lay out in the mind; as, a man designs an essay, a poem, a statue, or a cathedral.
- To intend or purpose; -- usually with for before the remote object, but sometimes with to. Ask of politicians the end for which laws were originally designed. --Burke. He was designed to the study of the law. --Dryden. Syn: To sketch; plan; purpose; intend; propose; project; mean.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Designed'
Design as a noun informally refers to a plan for the construction of an object (as in architectural blueprints, circuit diagrams and sewing patterns) while “to design” (verb) refers to making this plan. and the term has different connotations in different fields (see design disciplines below). However, one can also design by directly constructing an object (as in pottery, cowboy coding and graphic design).
More formally, design has been defined as follows.
Here, a "specification" can be manifested as either a plan or a finished product and "primitives" are the elements from which the design object is composed.
With such a broad denotation, there is no universal language or unifying institution for designers of all disciplines. This allows for many differing philosophies and approaches toward the subject (see Philosophies and studies of design, below).[See more about Designed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Designed'
'Designed' in famous quotation sentence
* When the conduct of men is designed to be influenced, persuasion, kind unassuming persuasion, should ever be adopted. It is an old and true maxim that 'a drop of honey catches more flies than a gallon of gall.' So with men. If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend. Therein is a drop of honey that catches his heart, which, say what he will, is the great highroad to his reason, and which, once gained, you will find but little trouble in convincing him of the justice of your cause, if indeed that cause is really a good one. - Abraham Lincoln
* Never say anything to hurt anyone. Moreover . . . refrain from double talk, from shrewd and canny remarks that are designed to advance our interests at someone's disadvantage. We are to turn our back upon evil, and in every way possible, do good, help people and bring blessings into their lives. - Norman Vincent Peale
Click here for more related quotations on 'Designed'